*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129285-The-Sorrow-of-the-Princess
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Drama · #1129285
Being a noble isn't that great.
The Sorrow of the Princess



“Big sister,” a young child at the age of ten called as she stared at her older sister who stood in front of the castle’s gate. “Where are you going?” she asked as she squinted her eyes, tears starting to well at the corners of her eyes.

“Sherry,” her sister, a teenager at the age of nineteen, called affectionately. Her raven black hair framed her face, making her look pretty. She wore a long black coat so that no one recognized her once she walked out of the castle area. “I won’t leave you, I promise,” she said as she caressed her little sister’s head, messing up her beautiful blond hair. “I will stay here until the end of my life,” she added, and with a reassuring smile. She turned around, and left the castle through the gate, leaving her sister who could only stare at her.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

With heavy steps, Sherry walked into the castle. The castle is enormous in size, and the wall is made from hard rocks. It felt like being in a prison sometimes.

She could understand just why her sister continuously escaped from the castle area and took a walk in the village right in front of the castle. In her sister’s opinion, the villagers’ lives are more interesting than the nobles’ lives. Their parents didn’t know, but her sister had already befriended a lot of the villagers, while using her second figure.

Everytime her sister got out of the castle area, she would wear the worn black coat. The coat was a memento from a castle guard, who died while protecting the kingdom three years ago. A funeral was held to appreciate him, and everyone came to pray for him. The strange thing was, her sister cried hysterically when she saw the corpse of the fallen guard in the raven black coffin. Her parents said it was because the guard was her martial arts instructor before, and they were very close, like brother and sister.

She looked outside of the window, and examined the village that was right at the foot of the hill the castle was on. It looked really crowded. In the marketplace, a lot of people walked pass. Some selling things, the other buying things. She also wanted to go there, even if only once, but she can’t.

Her mother said that she was still little, and she can’t look after herself yet. And she also said that her face kind of give away her status as a noble child, not a commoner, unlike her sister’s face who looked like a commoner’s. And it was also because of her name. Sherry isn’t a common name.

“No wonder Big Sister made a fake name,” Sherry mumbled. She supported her chin with both of her hands, and looked at the distance. She felt envious of her sister, but she can do nothing. Her sister is always so kind to her, and she doesn’t want to repay that kindness with crime.

“Princess Sherry,” a voice from behind her called and Sherry turned around to see who called her. Behind her, stood a tall man with messy black hair. He is the substitute for the dead castle guard. “What are you doing here?” he asked as he knelt down until he was eye-level with Sherry.

“Kurt,” Sherry greeted as she forced a smile at the guard. “I’m looking at the village from here. It looks so clear from here,” Sherry answered as she turned and faced the window again.

“Just be careful, don’t fall down,” Kurt warned, and he stood up. “Oh, and do you know where your sister is?” he asked as he looked down, looking at Sherry who looked like she was wanting to jump out of the window and run towards the small village.

“Myria? Sherry asked as she looked up. “She’s taking a walk, it shouldn’t take long before she comes back,” Sherry answered reluctantly. “Why are you looking for her?” she asked.

“Nothing special, I only want to know her whereabouts, that’s all,” Kurt answered, and prepared to go away.

“Kurt,” Sherry called as she turned around. Her call made the guard stop his step. “Why do you always address her like that, and not by her name?” Sherry asked as she frowned.

Kurt kept silent for a while, before he chuckled. “That is not a big deal, Princess Sherry,” he answered as he smiled warmly at the young princess. “One day, you’ll know,” he added, and walked away.

And once again, Sherry could only keep silent as she watched someone walk away from her.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

The next day, the princes from the neighboring kingdoms came and gathered in the ballroom of the castle. Every prince came with their own guard. They all dress gaudily, and they were all sure that they could win the heart of the princess who was said to be very beautiful.

They had barely gathered in front of the throne when the princess, dressed in a dark blue gown, walked out of her room and stood in front of all the princes there.

The princes looked at her in awe. They had heard a lot of rumors of her being very beautiful, but when they saw her in person, they were still awed by her beauty.

“Myria, what are you doing here?” the king asked as he watched Myria who stood before him as she watched the princes. “It’s not the time you’re here. Go back to your room,” he ordered.

“Hey,” Myria called, and every princes there along with their guards stared at her. “What are you doing here!? I don’t need spoilt guys like you! Go away!”

The princes were surprised to hear what she said. Who does she think she is, talking like that to them?

Kurt walked into the ballroom and stood beside Myria. “This is a direct order from the princess herself, please obey it,” he said before he bowed down to show some respect.

“Kurt, you don’t have to stand for me,” Myria said calmly. “Anyway, I don’t think they still want to marry me,” she said as she looked down almost wistfully.

Almost everyone in the ballroom looked at her, except Kurt who calmly stood beside her, and put a hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

Quickly, she pulled at the collar of her gown, and ripped it. She looked straight forward and showed her flat chest to all the princes there. “I’m a male! Now go away!” he shouted.

Without a second order, every prince who was going to join the bacholerette party walked out of the ballroom, and left the kingdom, along with their guards.

“Myria, what are you doing!?” the king asked in rage, looking at his son. “Who asked you to do this!?” he shouted as he prepared to slap him.

“I myself want to do this,” Myria answered calmly. “And I think it’s time to tell it, to them, and to Sherry,” he finished softly.

He was slapped by the king by the time he said that. Calmly, he got up without minding the stinging pain at his cheek, and walked away from the ballroom, leaving the enraged king, the sad queen, and the expressionless guard.

But actually there was someone left. The princess who looked so surprised, hidden in the shadows of the big door that led to the ballroom.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Kyle,” a handsome blond man said as he held Myria’s hand. “Is there something bothering you?” he asked.

Myriad kept silent. This guy is one of his friends when he’s in the village while he used his other name, Kyle.

“Why? You’re not usually silent like this,” he asked again as he continued to watch Myria who looked like he’s thinking hard.

“It’s nothing,” Myria answered as he shook his head, then stood up from his sitting spot. “The sky’s getting dark, I better be going now,” he said and he prepared to go from that small garden.

“Kyle,” the man called as he grabbed his wrist.

“Yes? What is it, Ryan?” Myria asked as he watched his friend.

“Marry me,”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Father,” Sherry called as she walked into her parents’ room. “Big Sister went off again,”

“It’s alright,” her father replied calmly. “Let her have her fun while she can,” he added. “Come here Sherry,” he called, and Sherry approached her father who was sitting on the bed.

“Do you love your sister?” the king asked as he caressed his daughter.

“Yes, I love Big Sister,” Sherry answered.

“I’m sure she loves you as well,” the king said calmly.

“Father,” Sherry called, and the king looked down. “Is it true… that Big Sister is a male?”

The king looked surprised, but not for a long time. He inhaled deeply, and said, “Yes, that’s right, he’s a boy,” he said, “And his name is not Myria,”

“Not Myria?” Sherry asked, surprised.

“Yes. His real name is Kyle,”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Ma- marry you?” Myria asked hesitantly. He can’t immediately say no because Ryan is his best friend, unlike the princes he drove away that afternoon.

“Yes, marry me,” Ryan repeated determinedly. “We’re not young anymore, Kyle. I’m twenty five and you’re nineteen. Isn’t it enough?” he asked as he watched Myria who looked nervous.

“I… I can’t, Ryan. I’m sorry, but I can’t,” Myria said in panic as he shook his head.

“Why not?” Ryan asked as he frowned. Of course he won’t force Myria to marry him, but he wanted to know the reason why Myria rejected him.

“Let go of her,” a voice said, and when the two of them looked at the voice’s source, they saw Kurt who had unsheathed his sword.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Kyle?” Sherry asked.

“Yes, and maybe you won’t believe this, but this is time I tell you,” the king said unwillingly. “He’s not your brother,”

“W- what do you mean?” Sherry asked as she watched her father. “It’s not possible, right?”

“Kyle is not your brother. He’s the brother of the guard who died three years ago, and he’s the cousin of Kurt, the substitute of his brother. We adopted him as our child since he was eleven,” the king explained. “He might not have the time to tell this to you, so I’m explaining this to you in his stead,”

“Not have the time?” Sherry asked confusedly. “Why not?”

“Because his life will end soon,”

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

“Kutr? What are you doing here?” Myria asked confusedly as he watched the guard standing in front of her while holding his unsheathed sword.

“It’s my job to look after you ever since your brother’s death,” Kurt answered calmly. “And I’m not going to let him take you away,” he added as he averted his gaze to Ryan.

Ryan let go of his grasp, and took a sword that hug at his belt. He stood facing Kurt, as if challenging him in a duel.

“Kurt, stop it right now!” Myria ordered, but Kurt didn’t listen to him.

The two of them fought as if they were on the battlefield. The sound of clashing metals echoed in the small garden. The swift movements were almost invisible, but no one had been able to strike the other.

They ran towards each other, their swords pointing at each other, and…

“Stop it!” Myria shouted, and suddenly he was standing between the two.

Because they were unable to stop, the two swords pierced his body, and the fight ended.

“Kyle!” Ryan shouted as he held Myria’s body. He pulled the swords out of his body, and lied him down on the patch of grass in the middle of the garden while Kurt watched them in silence. He was never fond of his cousin. He had been keeping an eye on him because of his brother.

“Ryan, Kurt,” Myria called. “Forgive me,” he said, and blood trailed from his mouth.

“No, forgive me,” Ryan said as he hugged Myria and cried.

“It’s not your fault,” Myria said calmly. “I’m going to die tonight,” he added hoarsely.

“Kyle?” Ryan asked hesitantly.

“I’m suffering from an incurable disease from three years ago,” Myria said. “Not many people knew about this… except my brother, and my step parents,”

“Enough, you don’t have to say anything anymore, I understand,” said Ryan who had cried more loudly. Tears ran freely down his cheeks as he tried to close Myria’s wounds. He ripped his sleeve and used it to cover the wounds to stop the bleeding.

“Kurt,” Myria called with the energy he had left.

Kurt watched him with an expressionless face. Cold. As always.

“Thank you, for keeping an eye on me for these three years. I’m thankful to have you as a brother,” Myria said as he smiled slightly. “I’m gone now. You’re not bound to the promise with my brother anymore, and you’re allowed to do as you wish,”

Kurt kept silent, watching Myria who kept talking.

“But once again, let me thank you for everything,” he said. “I love you,” and he breathed his last breath.

“Kyle!” shouted Ryan who was still crying as he shook Myria’s body, but Myria didn’t react. His body started becoming cold and stiff.

“KYLE!” his shout blended with the silence of the night, and unconsciously, even Kurt cried.
© Copyright 2006 Raphael (raphael at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129285-The-Sorrow-of-the-Princess