*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129921-An-almost-dark-and-slightly-creepy-night
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1129921
short funny story that is child safe
         It is a dark and scary night, actually it isn’t that dark, more of a late dusk the time when the shadows from the mountains just start to spider-leg their way over the valley, and not really that scary either, there were other people around to prevent ones imagination from running homicidal among the other senses. So it is almost dark and slightly creepy in all reality. Three people are staying in a haunted mansion with plenty of rooms where ghosts meander wreaking havoc everywhere they go. Well that’s not really true either, it’s more of a large cottage style house with only a total of ten rooms, consisting of five bedrooms, two bath rooms, a kitchen, large living room and a laundry room, and there is a ghost, but he is shy and tends to run away if strangers approached him, and he didn’t really cause problems, but he does like doing the laundry though. It would be more appropriate to say that they are staying in a cottage with a slightly confused ghost that liked to clean clothes when no one it looking, wooo. Now, it‘s an almost dark night that was slightly creepy and they are staying in an almost haunted house with a cleaning ghost that’s shy, whahahahahahaha. The two girls are screaming and the boy they didn’t know, is throwing pillows across the room. Well, that’s not true either. They are brother and sisters and the girls are screaming because their brother is in deed throwing pillows at them, trying to hit them as they ran back and forth across the room. He is baby sitting the others, being oldest. Their parents have gone out for a few days and Greg is in charge. The two girls are Cynthia and Julie, they were twelve and ten and their brother, fifteen. They are playing a game and he’s a hunter trying to catch fairies, but you can’t catch fairies with pillows, but hey they’re just kids. Whahaha whahaha.
         “I’m tired,” Julie falls down as an extra soft plush pillow hits her galumphingly.
         “Yeah, so am I.” Cynthia agrees.
         “Okay,” Greg puffs. “Who’s up for some cake and ice-cream?”
         Both girls squeal their agreement.
         “Let’s go to the kitchen.” They trample off to the kitchen. Their parents said they could have cake and ice-cream as long as they cleaned up their mess, but then they always do. They aren’t messy children after all. They eat lemon cake, with whip cream frosting and pineapple sorbet, so it’s not really ice-cream. As they sit in the kitchen a loud crash comes from the living room. They girls jump and Greg puts down his bowl.
         “Stay here I’ll go see what’s going on.” Greg leaves the room and heads to the living room. The door is open and the wind is blowing hard. Greg looks around and doesn’t see anyone. He closes the door and heads back to the kitchen. He looks around the place as he walks back just incase some animal has come into the house or perhaps someone, nothing out of the ordinary out here. Greg enters the kitchen to find Baldwin, the ghost, cowering behind his two sisters.
         “What’s going on?” Greg laughs, “did you see a mouse again?”
         Baldwin stammers something that sounds almost like ghost.
         “What, a ghost of a mouse?” Greg frowns. There has been a few ghost mice floating around but they usually left fairly quickly.
         Baldwin shakes his head. Greg sees his sisters’ faces drain of all color, as Baldwin points to a place behind Greg. Greg turns around and sees another ghost that is most unlike Baldwin. Where as Baldwin is half the size of a normal person and a translucent white, this ghost is twice the size of a person and dull translucent grey, and looks like it is a ghost of an ogre. This new ghost is also carrying a large Ghost club. Now ghosts can glide though objects at will, but they can also be quite solid when they want to be. Everyone screams, Greg, his two sisters and Baldwin. The ogre ghost seeing them all screaming jumps back and starts to cry. Greg waves his hand to get the others to stop screaming. The ogre sniffs back large grey tears and Greg approaches the ghost.
         “Don’t.” Baldwin cries out and to everyone’s surprise jumps out and attack the ogre ghost. The ogre ghost swings his club wildly with one hand while the other is covering his crying face as Baldwin swings his fists fast, hard and surprisingly accurate and for a brief moment the children can see that Baldwin can fight, but this boobing ogre isn’t either dangerous or able to fight. His club does make contact with the wall every so often but misses just about everything else, it doesn’t even upset the bowls still on the counter.
         “Baldwin, stop right now!” Greg seizes the ghost and pulls him away from the other ghost.
         “I know what he wants and I won’t allow it!” Baldwin pouts almost to tears.
         “What are you talking about?” Greg frowns.
         “That monster means to haunt this house instead of me.” He cries fat tears dancing across the ghost’s face.
         “Is that what you want?” Julie asks the ogre ghost carefully. The ghost nods glumly.
         “See,” Baldwin’s voice cracks and the ghost shakes in mid-air, “I won’t allow it.”
         “Oh look, the poor thing is scared to death.” Cynthia walks closer to the ogre ghost.
         “No!” Baldwin tries to lung forward again but is held back by Greg.
         “He hasn’t done any harm yet.” Greg frowns.
         “Yeah, maybe he can help you out with laundry and stuff.” Julie finishes off the rest of her dessert. Cynthia is right next to the ogre ghost and pats the ghost on the arm and the ogre jumps back a bit but doesn’t do anything.
         “What’s your name?” Cynthia cocks her head to one side inquisitively.
         “Me Brunt.” The ogre sobs, and then as if seeing Cynthia for the first time the ogre throws himself onto her shoulder and starts sobbing. “No want Brunt in house.” He cries his ghost tears flying allover the kitchen and slowly disappearing.
         “See Baldwin he doesn’t appear to be dangerous.” Greg motions towards the great ghost. “Perhaps you two can work something out?”
         The Brunt looks to Baldwin expectantly, “Fine but if I choose to let you stay you need to make yourself useful.”
         Burnt nods slowly.
         “If you aren’t a help to this house, it’s off you get.” Baldwin growls, uncharacteristically.
         The children go to clean up their dishes but the ogre insists on doing the dishes in full sight of Baldwin to show his readiness to help the family.
         “See, me help.” Brunt sobs while whipping the dishes, tears still falling.
         “Well, our parents will be back tomorrow night. It’s really them that’ll allow you to stay here, but if you are really good we’ll do our best to let you stay here too,” Greg smiles. “well, we’ve got to go to bed. Good night everyone.” He yawns and heads to his room his sisters follows lead.
         The next morning the children awaken to the smell of bacon, eggs, and toast. The three all dress and go down stairs Grunt is in the kitchen setting the table and putting the food on three plates. The eggs seems to have chopped peppers and onion in them and the bacon has a slight smell of maple to them and the toast is just right.
         “I do good?” Grunt bows sheepishly, and the three can see Baldwin peeking around the corner.
         “It looks good.” Cynthia inhales the smells deeply.
         “Yeah,” Julie picks up a fork.
         “You did great Brunt,” Greg smiles.
         Brunt beams and goes to the sink to do the dishes.
         The three take a bite of the eggs and smile.
         “Do you really think mom and dad will let him stay?” Greg laughs, “He is actually a really good cook.”
         “I wonder if he can make cake?” Julie giggles.
© Copyright 2006 lordtheobald (lordtheobald at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129921-An-almost-dark-and-slightly-creepy-night