*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129955-Wind-of-the-Night
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Seraph
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #1129955
A short based in the same realm as my other work, 'Dark Portal'. Slightly violent.
My hair flutters in the wind, flowing out long behind me. I don't feel the cold; I haven't in a long time. My wings, large and leathery, are wrapped around my body, looking for all the world like a large coat, or perhaps a cloak. Not that anyone can see me; few humans would be on top of a tall building on a night like this. They're all out in the streets, enjoying the warmth below. While I stay above the mass, hidden in the cold darkness that has become my home.

They are so blind to what is near. They will all be caught off guard by His coming. The Dark Prince is coming soon, my children. He will put fear into your reveling hearts. But for now, I will make you afraid of the night. I spread my wings, revealing the dark, thin mail I wear underneath, and take flight. The mail has two purposes - protection, and weight. Because of the added weight, I've become stronger, and can fly even faster without it bearing me down.

I fly out, on the winds of the night sky. The cold, seductive drone of the masses below only entices me, drives my bloodlust to a fever pitch. I must have one of them, tonight! I've held myself in check too long; it is in my nature to kill these...Humans. I scan the crowds, and see my mark. A beautiful young woman, dressed modestly, leading a long-haired young man about. I do not know where they are going; nor do I care. They will die this night.

I fly carefully, avoiding sight, following the couple until they are alone. They sit in the darkness, awaiting one of the noisy public transit buses. I land a bit away, and fold my wings around me carefully. No reason to give myself away too soon. I approach them, and casually ask the time.

The woman is immediately enthralled with me; but then, pure evil tends to be seductive and beautiful on the outside. The young man, however, is wary. I feel eminations from him - he is sensitive to the Outer Planes. He may know what I am. This means it is time to act. I grin, my fangs glinting with reflected moonlight, and move forward. The girl is in my arms in an instant, my teeth in her throat. I use the skill of the Vampire - I drain her blood from her body, savoring the taste. Not a virgin, but good and innocent all the same. I drop her lifeless body to the cold, hard concrete.

I turn to the boy, to find him chanting something, hands out. Not only was I right, but the boy apparently knows the ancient language of the Dragon-kin. The spell he casts hits me, but with such paltry power that I cannot help but laugh. I move towards him slowly, and smile, my fingers metamorphosed into their natural form, that of claws. I reach out to him, feel his flesh beneath my claws, and I growl.

As I walk away, I lick blood from my claws. Let the Humans explain that one, if they can. One body, drained of blood, while the other has been ripped to shreds, his blood sprayed all inside the plexiglas bus shelter. Let them explain that, and let them prepare - compared to the art of the Dark Prince, that was merciful. I spread my wings, and take flight, on the wind of the night.
© Copyright 2006 Seraph (mt_spase at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1129955-Wind-of-the-Night