*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1130488-Encounter
Rated: E · Fiction · Relationship · #1130488
The first meeting after a breakup is always the hardest.
It was the first time they'd seen each other since the night she'd told him she'd had enough. He visibly started as she came around the corner with her shopping cart. Her cheeks grew hot as she found herself face to face with the one person she'd been avoiding for the last two weeks. She ventured a glance into his eyes and saw the same startled look she was sure she wore, with the addition of a tinge of pain and regret. They hadn't parted on the best terms and neither had been prepared for the chance encounter.

"How've you been?" he broke the awkward silence, forcing his voice to remain steady and as unconcerned as possible.

"Good," she replied, trying to spare his feelings from the painful truth. She was more than good, she had moved on almost immediately, leaving him behind her forever. The look in his eyes was more than enough to let her know the same was not true for him. Even while they were together she had known he felt more for her than she could hope to return. For him, it was perfect; for her, the relationship had been almost a burden. She had been frequently torn between what she believed to be her obligations as a girlfriend and the desires of her heart.

"How about yourself?" she added as an after thought, carefully measuring her voice and expressions to ensure she gave him no false hope.

"I'm surviving," he responded with more than a hint of pain in his voice this time. He knew she had always been able to read him, and didn't even bother lying. She'd torn him apart that night, and it would take more than a couple of weeks to recover.

He had heard rumors of a new man in her life, and it tore him apart as he glanced quickly behind her to make sure she was alone. The thought of meeting her with someone else was just too much for him.

His response tore at her heart and she had to quickly go through the list of things which had driven her to break up with him. She had cared about him, but knew it was unfair to be with him, when what she really wanted was to be with someone else. There were other factors, too, she reminded herself, as the pair shared an awkward silence, each wondering what the other was thinking.

"Well, I had better get going...I've got...things to do. It was good to see you again." She stumbled a little over the words, but knew she could no longer bear to look at those hurt-filled eyes. He mumbled a reply, and turned away. As she continued down the aisle, he waited for her to turn around for one last look...she never did.
© Copyright 2006 Willowism (spacemouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1130488-Encounter