*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131967-The-Cure--A-short-story
Rated: E · Short Story · Spiritual · #1131967
The strength of love and compassion
Susmitha stared at the birds from her window. Mist was slowly unveiling
the roses in the garden in early morn.

The freshness of the roses glowed in her spine and slowly she tried to
shift from her bed. But her legs betrayed her. Doctor had diagnosed she was
suffering from a rare disease at the age of three and she would be crippled
for rest of her life.

To her parents horror the doctor’s prediction seemed to be becoming true,
As now at the age of five she could barely move.

Life is a revolving door. So as something goes out something else gets in.
Susmitha’s mother Mrs. Meera prayed for her daughter with great faith and in
innocent eyes of Susmitha she could sense her hope alive.

One day Susmitha asked her mother could she ever play like rest of the children.
Holding her hands Mrs.Meera said, "You could play my dear, God shows mercy to sincere hearts".

Then she walked away with tears in her eyes to see a toddler in front of their house begging alms.

She gave him rice and turned her back to the door when she heard the toddler
voice, "Madam, why are you so sad". She narrated the whole story of Susmitha's illness.

The toddler taking pity said, "Madam ten miles from here, there is a cave in the hill where many illness has been cured by some unknown power if you stay for a day and chant Gods name". Mrs.Meera was very much intrested. She thanked th toddler and decided to tell her husband Mr.Dev.

That night the couple discussed and decided to go the comming Sunday.

Early in the Sunday morning Mr.Dev lifted Susmitha and seated her in his car.Mrs. Meera sat with her daughter in th back seat while Mr.Dev drove.

Since it was Sunday a lot of vehicles were parked at the base o the hill. Many sick people were on thir way up.

Carrying Sumitha Mr.Dev entered the cave which was vibrating with chanting of the God's name. Mrs.Meera sat on the floor along with her husband, with her daughter by her side and joined in the chant with tears in her eyes.

Susmitha sat with wonder eyes staring at her parents. In the dark cave the sole light was from a lamp. Everyone sat around it. It gradually turned to noon. Susmitha was hungry and was trying to attract the attenion of her parents.

But they were too deep in prayer. Mrs.Meera visualized a monk in red robes smiling to her with compassion. At that time she felt someone shaking her shoulder.

She opened her eyes to see her daughter standing with both legs and asking for food.

She couldn't believe her eyes. Mrs.Meera shouted at her husband, "Look!, Susmitha has been cured, Susmitha has been cured". Mr.Dev opened his eyes and hugged his daughter.
© Copyright 2006 papillon (venkatesh_mr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1131967-The-Cure--A-short-story