*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132383-Picturesque
by yumie
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1132383
A heartwarming short story about life.
Picturesque


One morning when I woke up, everything around me seems to be different. I was alone at my room then and I was covered with this thick blue-sky blanket. There was this stitch- a stuff toy beside me and I wonder why it was so cold. The leaves outside my window are falling slowly one by one and those thin branches keeps knocking on the glass which was the only sound I can hear. And realizing the season, I said to myself with excitement:”Oh! I forgot its autumn!” It’s like I never knew that my favorite season was already here.

With too much excitement to go outside to feel the autumn breeze, I got off the bed quickly but what’s this? In just a winked of an eye, I fell on my knees. I felt sudden ache in my body, particularly, in my heart. My sight was getting dark. I feel that I’ll be unconscious in any minute if it wasn’t for my mom who hurried unto me, so worried when she saw me on the floor pressing my chest. But even I didn’t want to, I fell asleep.

That afternoon, the first one I saw beside my bed when I opened my eyes was my dad. God, this was the first time I saw him like that, with those teary eyes, the look of sadness, I know something’s wrong with me. I never wasted any moment. I asked about what happened this morning, what’s that feeling I had a while ago. They’ve been very brave to answer me.
“A heart disease, my child” my father said in a very low voice.
My child…I thought. How happy I am every time I hear those words and now, I never knew that in any moment from now, I wouldn’t be able to hear that again. Now I know that I only have too little time to do things that I want, I shouldn’t miss any single moment.

Days had passed and it was all worth cherishing. I visited my friends in the university I hanged-out with them for the first time because finally my parents allowed me. We had fun. I had shared with them my first and last beer. I decided not to tell them instead let them know when the time comes.

I invited my best friends to come over, to do those things that we used to do when we were nine. I played the piano while they sing, we watched our favorite movies, and we talked. I laughed, they laughed. And I said my farewell.

It was somehow a relief for a soul.
It was a quiet, late in the afternoon of October. The wind was so cold, preparation for the coming winter. I wonder if can ever celebrate the season again? And then I was interrupted—
I was dreaming.

I woke up with a heavy heart. It’s like I can’t walk. Thank God, my mom and dad came over. I looked at them wishing that I could spend much longer time with them then I knew it is time. I asked them a favor, bringing me to my dream place and they did. We went there with just the three of us.

“Finally, I am here.” I said to myself facing the beautiful view of the sunset. This is it…like my friends often expressed. Standing at the field, with this old maple tree, leaves keep falling on us, while the others keep swaying along with the cold breeze of fall. The view of an endless shore and the sun setting in the sky. It was a perfect serenity.


We sat at the porch and watched the view but then, the pain attacked again. This time, it really hurts. I just laid my head on my mom’s shoulder and I felt my dad’s hand on my shoulder.

“Thank you.” I mumble. “I’m scared…”
“There’s nothing to be scared of our child…”they said softly but their voices tell me otherwise, it’s very hard for them. I am leaving.

I can hear my father, humming the rhythm he used to use back when I was a child in order to put me in a goodnight sleep.

Hearing the simple yet heartwarming hum of my father, I am not scared anymore and I know that I’ll be having the sweetest and peaceful sleep bringing me faith that someday, I’ll wake up again, with them still on my side. Then, slowly, my eyes are closing by itself and there’s nothing more I can do just to say with my last three breathes: “I love you…mom, dad.”

And then”…yam!!!”

I woke up.
I’m dreaming.
I can’t believe that I’m the girl in front of a picturesque.

I’m very thankful that I still got the chance to have another day. Now, I am not hearing any humming anymore but still, my father’s voice, this time calling on me for a breakfast. Yeah, breakfast in the morning.

Thanks to the dream, I realize that mornings are not promised to anyone, that’s why we should be doing all the things that we have to do. Not wasting a single moment for nothing.

And a praise to God, for He gave me a chance to wake up another dawn.
© Copyright 2006 yumie (choierenxi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132383-Picturesque