*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132616-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1132616
The begining of my venture into the world of writing.
Chapter 1 – The Wheel Starts Turning

The room was dim accept for the faint flicker of the candlelight. Since the watchman had rang three bells not too long before, all the lanterns were out, and only a few candles had been lit when it was announced that the stranger had woke. Now the room was near silent. The strange man stood, stretching carefully as he refitted his armor and checked his weapons. Carefully he strapped on each piece of his plate mail, securing it with the care of a surgeon. The bronze slightly shone in the dim light as he equipped it to his hulking figure. He was a head taller than anyone else in the room, and his strength was apparent in the size of his bulk. His arms and legs were as fit as any solider in the castle, only larger by at least half again the largest man in service. He stopped and stared silently, with his back to his audience. None of them could see his facial expressions through the thick locks of long black hair that hung messily behind him. With amazing ease, he picked up the six foot long great sword with one hand, and with the other slid its scabbard off. He ran his fingers over the flat of both sides of the six inch wide blade. He nodded and slid the scabbard back on, and then set the sword down against the wall. Next he briefly checked the heads of his trident. Again nodding, he left the pole arm alone.

“What do I owe you for the room, the caretaking, the polishing of my armor, and the sharpening of my weapons?” he asked in a deep voice without turning around.

Only one man flinched to answer, the oldest looking of those in the room. The man wore a simple but fine tunic and pants of matching grey fabric. The outfit seemed to be bed clothes, but still like they could be worn at anytime. His eyes showed no fatigue from being woken at such an hour. His grey hair was cut short; accept for the back which was pulled into a short tight tail, neatly trimmed. His face was covered in a thick grey beard, and his worn face showed much experience, as his wrinkles were many, but not overly pronounced. His deep grey eyes gave a view to his kind heart, but the way they studied the stranger showed his mind working like a steel trap, assessing the situation. He was over a foot shorter than the armored man, but he didn’t falter as he stepped forward to reply.

“I am General Leo Darkwind.” He replied, standing straight as an arrow in the dim light.

“That is not what I asked.” The stranger immediately answered turning and facing the three others in the room. His deep green eyes shone in the candle light. He was clean shaven, and his face was young, though it showed signs that he had been through much more than most people of his age. “I am unconcerned with who you are, or why you helped me. I only wish to repay my debt and be on my way” He continued with an icy stare that pierced the room.

“You owe nothing for the hospitality, we are quite prosperous, and could not turn an injured man away.” Darkwind rebutted, not showing the slightest signs of intimidation by the larger man. “But if you wish to assist us, I could use a man of your size, and obvious skill in my army.”

“No thank you. If I have no debt, then I will be off. My gratitude for your assistance, and good luck General Darkwind.” The man replied, and reached for his sword strap. Darkwind’s hand moved to the man’s wrist to stop him.

“We can help you find her.” Darkwind said, looking the stranger straight in the eye with a compassionate and yet firm look. Without hesitation, the man’s hand shot to Darkwind’s throat and lifted him two feet from the ground as if he were made of feathers. The man seemed to lift him effortlessly, and as he squeezed, Darkwind could feel his throat closing slightly. “WHAT DO YOU KNOW OF HER! TELL ME OR I SHALL CRUSH YOUR THROAT LIKE A GRAPE IN A WINERY!”

Darkwind struggled to breath, grasping the mans hand and trying to pry it open, but to no avail. To him it was like trying to pry death’s fingers from him.

“YOU HAVE THREE SECONDS TO ANSWER OR I WILL CLOSE TIGHTER!” The man shouted as he loosened his grip enough for Darkwind to gasp a breath and hoarsely reply.

“Only what you mumbled in your sleep, I swear!” With this reply, the man dropped him. Darkwind hit the ground with a thud, and gasped as he finally caught his breath. He looked up with a hint of anger and confusion in his eyes.

“My name Is Lux,” the stranger said, in a much softer tone. His cold stare melted to a soft, nearly lifeless one that betrayed his sadness. “My deepest apologies for that, but I am determined to find her at all costs, and the only time anyone is completely honest with a stranger is when they are struggling to live.”

“Forgiven.” Darkwind replied, rising to his feet, and offering his hand for a handshake. “Do you have a surname sir Lux?” he said, rubbing his neck with his other hand.

“No. Just Lux” he replied, shaking hands with Darkwind, and relaxing slightly.

“Well then, allow me to introduce the healer who took care of you, Marcus Sanjus, and my son, Dekon Darkwind.” With this both of the other two men stepped forward, the smaller of the men, dressed in priest’s robes bowed, while the other man nodded silently.

“Now that master Lux is well, I will take my leave General. There is much to do at the temple.” The robed man said.

“Thank you Marcus, be on your way, but make sure you take some time for yourself this week, you have been on constant vigil for far too long.” Darkwind replied, bowing in return. Marcus bowed again, and quickly turned, and in an instant, was gone from the room.

“I really must be off General. I have much traveling to go, and much to do if I am to find her.” Lux said as he again began to ready his equipment for travel.

“What is your plan to find her? Where do you plan to look? The desert around Barren is vast, and you have been unconscious for several weeks.” Darkwind replied. “If you joined my army, we could send you on missions to any location you would like. Our mercenary services are in much demand worldwide, and you could cover a lot more ground.” He continued, hoping the man would accept.

“Have I really been asleep that long . . .? Deidre . . . “ Lux’s eyes went to the floor. He seemed as if he wanted to weep.

“Lux, what ever, or who ever did this to you, and took her, was obviously more than you could handle on your own. If you find it, wouldn’t it be better if you had some assistance? “Darkwind stated, trying to keep his voice sympathetic.

Lux looked up. He kept his apathetic look, but his eyes again betrayed him. In his eyes, both Darkwind and his son could see the pain he was in. Lux looked as if someone has ripped part of his soul away.

“General, I will accept your offer on two conditions.” Lux said, struggling to remain calm.

“And those are?”

“First, I will serve in your forces until I find her, but when I do, I want to be free to leave, with no other obligations.”

“That is acceptable,” Darkwind said, listening carefully. “And second?”

“I answer to no one but you.” Lux replied, with a stern tone that said he would not waver on this.

“Again, agreed. You will be ranked as one of my generals. Only I command them. Now Sir Lux, I must be off. All of the hospitality of Barren castle is yours; Dekon will help you get acquainted with things.” Darkwind said, bidding Lux and his son goodnight.

“When can I take a mission?” Lux said as Darkwind started to leave.

“There is a briefing for one tomorrow at noon, if you are interested, be in the main hearing room then.” And with that, Darkwind retired to bed, contemplating what the new man would bring, and wondering if it was wise to give him the power he had. The thoughts passed however, as his mind wondered to more pressing issues, and soon the General was on a tangent completely unrelated.

Back in the room, Lux placed his things back where they were. Dekon stayed quiet for a while. He shifted uneasily in the room with the larger man. He did not fear him, but he did question his motives, and the actions he took toward the General. Dekon stood the observing Lux. His red tunic and brown pants kept him warm in the cool castle room. His blood red hair, messily spiked, was ruffled from his small amount of sleep, and unlike his father, his red eyes looked exhausted, as if he had been woken from the sleep of the dead.

“This isn’t your room.” Dekon spoke up, shifting his weight as he waited for Lux’s reaction. “The officer’s quarters are in the west wing. I can show you, so you can rest.”

“Very well then,” Lux answered, picking up his sword and strapping it to his back. He then wrapped his cloak around him as he picked up his trident. The deep green cloak looked almost black, and only hinted to its forest hue under close inspection. The cloak completely concealed his sword and armor.

A smirk came over Dekon’s face as he got an idea. He stepped in Lux’s path past the bed.

“Why don’t you try to grab me the way you grabbed my father?” Dekon stated with a cocky grin on his face and a twinkle in his eye, as if he were reveling in something unknown.

Without hesitation, Lux’s arm shot out to strike the red headed challenger. Faster than Lux could follow, Dekon ducked under his fist. Lux’s swing continued, and found nothing but air, and then the stone wall of the room. As Dekon ducked he struck, as fast as a viper. They both paused in this position. Lux’s eyes widened as he realized, that in that instant, Dekon had not struck him once. Lux distinctly felt and heard two impacts on his chest. Dekon started to stand up, still smirking, until he turned. Where Lux had struck the wall, there was a hole, nearly a foot and a half wide, through the stone masonry wall. On the other side a confused solider and his wife peered through, wondering why their wall had seemed to explode. Dekon apologized and stated he would have it repaired in the morning. While he was looking away, Lux mumbled under his breath.

“Damn he’s fast.”

“Damn he’s strong” Dekon mumbled before turning to face Lux again. “Well glad you missed with that, I just got out of the IR for some broken ribs, I would hate to be back in this quick.” Dekon half chuckled, eyeing the hole again.

“Yeah well, at least if you hadn’t blinked out of that spot, the wall would still be whole” Lux chuckled back, enjoying to mutual respect they shared. “I’m not really to very tired; I have been asleep a long time. Is there a pub open here at this hour? I could really go for an ale.” Lux continued, moving towards the door.

“I know just the place. It’s not the best ale, but it’s strong, and they’re open.” Dekon answered, intrigued by the two sides of this strange man. Maybe he wasn’t as much of a threat as he first thought.





------

The two headed to the pub without leaving Lux’s weapons. Dekon stopped by the armory and took a sword from the rack, strapped two clawed gloves to his belt, and pocketed a few throwing stars. He then donned a cloak to hide his weapons and armor. Lux had questioned him about why they needed the weapons in a town that his father was in charge of. Dekon simply explained, just because the town was a mercenary army town, did not mean all of its citizens were honorable, and with Barren being the only safe haven for miles, both good and evil stopped to rest here.

“Besides,” Dekon continued with a smirk as they walked into the tavern, “if you’re out this late, you’re looking for trouble.”

Trouble was exactly what this tavern was. Walking in to the dimly lit tavern was like walking into the bowels of Barren. The room smelt of ale and urine, and a number of the patrons were unconscious from too much of the former. The bartender was a large fellow, missing one eye. He peered at the two walking in the door as they found a seat. A bar brawl was starting in the back corner, opposite the door, and Lux chuckled to himself as he watched them beat each other senseless. The serving girl came around to their table and Dekon ordered two of their strongest ales.

“So, why were you traveling in the desert like that?” Dekon asked as the ales were set down.

“Did you bring me here to grill my motives in your land?” Lux replied, with an air of annoyance in his voice.”

“No, it’s just that if we’re going to be working together I would like to know the kind of man that I will be fighting alongside.” Dekon replied, taking a large drink of his ale. He shifted his weight back in his chair, relaxing, and kicking his feet up on the table. A smirk came across his face, knowing that he had responded in a way Lux would have to reply to. He felt completely in control of the conversation.

“Why would we be working so closely? You are going on the mission tomorrow as well?” Lux replied, knowing this was Dekon’s game right now and he would have to play it, for the time being.

“Something like that. If you decide to go, it will be just you and I. My father was going to send me alone with a squad of soldiers but when you showed up, he felt that if we could get you to join us, you and I would make a very effective team for the mission. Because of the high risk in this mission, I have to be sure I can trust you.” Dekon replied smugly, knowing once again he had won the volley of question and answer. He took a large gulp from his stein and once again relaxed.

“What, may I ask, makes this mission so dangerous? I mean, I am new in this army and yet your father trusts me with his son, alone. Sounds a little odd to me.” Lux replied, this time confident in his response. Taking a sip of his ale, he thought of how to turn this game around his way.

“We are going into the Roshi tribal lands. They are close allies to my father and the land of Barren. We received a request from them to hunt down a thief which has stolen one of their most important religious relics.” Dekon answered, finishing his ale. “The dangerous part comes from how the request was made. Normally, the Roshi chieftain Dagan Black contacts my father directly, but this request was sent by courier, and any attempts to contact Dagan or his son and heir Gage have come up empty. The high advisor to Dagan, Snyder has sent word that this mission is of great urgency. So my father is sending me to investigate, and you to handle the intimidation factor.”

“Well, sounds more like a political investigation, rather than a simple recovery mission. Is there some personal attachment to this Dagan, or this Gage?” Lux asked, raising an eye brow as he sipped his ale. He finally had his card. He could play this all day. Any military mission could be questioned if there was personal intent, and Lux planned to use this to do to Dekon exactly what he planned to do to Lux; find out his motives.

“Dagan and my father are long time allies in war and peace. They have fought together many times, and many times saved each other’s lives.” Dekon replied, sitting back up. He knew he had left himself open for that question. He kicked himself for giving Lux that advantage in this game. “Gage and I are close friends as well. When my father and Dagan would be off on missions or at war, Gage and I would spend hours training and challenging each other. While we both are rivals, it is a friendly one, and close to a brotherhood. You are right to assume it is a personal matter. But it is also a political one. The Roshi’s are summoners. Dagan and his son Gage are in the family line of the high summoners. They alone hold powers that the others don’t. If their line is eradicated, the Roshi’s could be in danger from attacks. And my father and I would be devastated.”

Dekon looked, and it seemed as if Lux was looking beyond him. He thought it was rude of the man not to listen, but the odd look in Lux’s eyes told him something was amiss.

“Do you know those men at that table in the back?” Lux asked, a slight flare in his eyes.

Dekon carefully looked back, as if admiring one of the serving girls, and moved his eyes across the room to the men. Looking back he lost his smirk. “The Black Jekylls, they’re a gang of dissidents that my father refuses to grant political sanction to. They stay here and cause all sorts of trouble, nothing major though, why?”

“They just took one of the serving girls into the back room.” Lux replied, shifting into a more rigid position, almost as if ready to fight.

“That’s not uncommon, many of the serving girls in this tavern are whores as well, people have to make a living some how, even if it’s wrong, you can’t rid the world of all of it.” Dekon said, a look of sorrow in his eyes. He seemed hurt that he couldn’t get rid of it all, as if he personally would like to.

“Not this one. She struggled, she fought against it hard, and they dragged her away. Not approved.” Lux replied, getting up, hand clutching his trident. Dekon knew where this was going, and while he was a bit uneasy, he liked the direction.

At the table there were four men, all heavily armed, and very unclean. They had been drinking heavily, and slurred as they ranted over who would have their way with the girl next. As Lux approached the table, they got quiet, he was bigger than all of them, and so they immediately started to become uneasy. Dekon observed that as Lux approached the table, five other men around the bar took notice and moved that way.

“Hmmm, nine out here, and the boss in the back room, looks like the gangs all here. I hope Lux knows what he’s doing,” he thought to himself as he planned his actions.

“Excuse me gentlemen,” Lux started, as he got close to the table. “I couldn’t help but notice that you have chosen a bed mate for the night. Dare I ask if she was willing?”
Lux tightened his grip on his trident and adjusted his hand position; he was ready to block any attack they four could launch, if they jumped in head first. Then he noticed where his plan went wrong. He saw the other five moving closer, encircling him as the first four stood up. He cursed under his breath at his stupidity, he knew better than to miss such an obvious group. He had been asleep for too long. It was too late now; he had committed himself to stepping in.

“Listen carefully to what I tell you.” The largest of the men said as he stood and flipped the table. In an instant, his sword, along with those of his three companions was drawn. Lux knew the weapons of the men behind him were out as well. At this moment, he was screwed, as the man continued. “You obviously don’t know who we are, but that doesn’t matter. We take who ever we want to bed, willing or not, and if you don’t turn and walk out this bar now, we’ll carve you up to keep us busy between rounds, like we did to this poor fool” The man boasted, picking up a patron at a dear by table who seemed to be passed out. When the man raised the unconscious man’s head Dekon and Lux could see he was not too drunk, but dead. Blood dripped from his mouth and the now apparent knife in his back showed that these men were ruthless killers.

Then Dekon recognized this corpse of a man. When Dekon was very young he happened upon a man in the castle who grew apples. The man gave him one for free that day, and it was the best apple Dekon had ever had. When Dekon told his father this story, the general only ever ordered his fruit from this man again. As thanks for the simple kindness shown to his son, General Darkwind had made this man’s life fuller. Now he was dead. Dekon knew this man, knew his family, and knew his little girl who would cry over why her daddy had to leave her. All for these men’s greed. Anger boiled up inside Dekon over what the little girl’s face would look like as she heard. He had to step in now, and he was going to make sure they paid for their crimes.

“Hey! You!” Dekon interjected. Lux had kind of hoped that he had left, rather than get involved in the losing situation. “You with the trident! What the hell is your problem?” Dekon shouted, walking up in his cloak, anger in his eyes.

“Me?!” Lux asked as he turned. He quickly summed up the situation. It was worse than he thought. Two of the men had crossbows knocked, and aimed at him. Before he could reach them, he would be shot and then cut apart by the other seven men and their blades. What made this worse was that Dekon seemed to be siding with them.

“Yes you! My father took you in, helped heal you, and let you stay, all for free, and you repay him your first night here, by beginning a bar brawl with men doing nothing wrong to you!” Dekon shouted, revealing his hands, each holding a throwing star.

Lux felt threatened by the red haired solider. He wanted to bring his trident around in a wide arc and sever the man’s head from his shoulders for siding with these men, but something caught him off guard. There was a look in Dekon’s eyes that didn’t fit his actions, something else was going on, so Lux waited to see what it was, still ready with his pole arm.

“I should put these stars right between your eyes for this! I could kill you, and spilt your skull with them before you could blink, just like this!” In that instant, his arms shot out to his side, both stars flew out, and both hit their mark. Lux glanced quickly to each side to see the men with the crossbows fall to the ground, blood seeping from them. The stars however had not stopped, and were now wedged into the walls on either side of the tavern. Dekon and Lux locked eyes, and both smirked as if they were reveling in the moment.

“GO!” They both shouted in unison. Lux lunged forward toward the men behind Dekon. At the same time Dekon leapt in a full flip over Lux, drawing his sword in mid air. As he landed, he sliced the hands from the man who had originally spoken. He spun around and brought his foot into contact with the man’s face. The man’s head jerked to the side, and he fell unconscious to the floor, bleeding where his teeth had been shattered, and his jaw broken. As Dekon continued to spin, he released two more stars at the two men to the left of the now unconscious foe. Both men dropped to the floor and bled out, as the stars pierced their throats, severing their jugulars. Finishing his spin, he threw his broadsword sailing toward the final man at the table. The sword found its mark in his heart, and soon this man too was dead, a look of shear pain and fear on his face.

Lux brought his trident up in a wide arc, and impaled the middle man behind where they had stood. He drove the points deeper into the man and watched as he screamed in pain. As if the man were a toy, Lux whirled his trident around, with the man still attached, into the man to his left. Both men sailed across the room, and Lux’s trident followed, pinning both men to the wall through the throat. The man behind Lux now laughed as he moved in to strike. Lux smirked, and tore his cloak off into the air. In one fluid motion, he detached his greatsword from his back, spun and arched it up high. Upon facing the man, Lux bought the massive blade down, fully through the would-be attacker, nose to nuts. The man fell apart, blood pooling quickly from his two halves. Lux turned to see Dekon drawing his sword out of the man’s heart. The two smiled, when a crossbow bolt flew across the room and knocked Lux’s sword from his hands. They both turned to see the Jekylls’ boss aiming their way with an automatic crossbow. Both Lux and Dekon knew he had four bolts left, and from where he had placed his shot, he could stop either of their hearts with any one of them. Lux saw Dekon nod to him as a pair of metallic claws emerged from the sleeves of his cloak. The boss fired, but a second too late. Dekon kicked off of the nearest wall and was air born. As he near landed next to Lux, the man fired, but again too late. Lux grabbed Dekon’s cloak and whirled him out of the way just in time as the second bolt flew where Dekon would have landed. With all of his might, Lux hurled Dekon at the man like a missile. Dekon straightened out in mid air, and crossed his wrists, claws shinning in the light. As he struck the man, he ripped his claws in a crossed motion, and as he kicked up off the man’s shoulders, and landed kneeling on one knee behind him, the man’s neck severed in two distinct slashes. Blood exploded out of the wounds, as the man’s head fell to the floor with a soft, squishy thud.

Lux and Dekon looked at each other again. Both drew their cloaks over their heads and collected their weapons. Dekon dropped a decent sized bag of gold on the bar.

“For repairs and clean up, courtesy of Dekon Darkwind,” he said, walking out of the bar. “Jail the survivor; he will be executed at dawn in three days as an example.” The bartender nodded, and stared to grab a mop.

Lux followed, now understanding that this man Dekon was not a child in his father’s shadow. He had risked his life to help where Lux had made a grave mistake. He could trust this man like he trusted the general, and he could fight alongside him without hesitation. Dekon too rethought his opinions as they walked silently back to the castle. He had watched Lux risk his life for the honor of a woman he didn’t even know. Regardless of why this man was in Barren, he had no doubt that his intentions were honorable. He would enjoy this mission with Lux, for he had never fought so well alongside anyone before. The two made their way through the night, two cloaked men, as deadly as any could be, yet both wishing they did not have to follow the path they did.




------



Dekon woke late the next morning. He spent much of the night questioning his actions. Then, when sleep finally found him, he was tormented with dreams of women and children crying. Had he killed those men too quickly? Had he truly assessed the situation? He played judge jury and executioner for five men that he did not even hear out. Five men who could have children and wives that they provided for. These families would never hear what had happened to their loved ones. Nameless brigands, slaughtered at the hands of a brash youth with too much power. These thoughts still haunted Dekon when he awoke at the sound of high noon. He knew he was late and hurried to get dressed, as he sleepily wondered whether he had sided with Lux too quickly. Was Lux the oppressor that night, coming armed at the men without true cause? Maybe the woman was willing. They had never spoken to her. His thoughts raced as he ran across the castle to the briefing room. He entered in a daze, as the welcoming looks of his father, the castle’s chief strategist, and his new comrade Lux fixed themselves on him.

“The strategy is exactly what we had decided Dekon.” Darkwind stated as Dekon found his chair at the table.

“This will be easier than I had anticipated. Simple seek and recover. The investigation gets left to Dekon. Thank you for keeping me out of your political affairs, and strictly to the task for hire.” Lux calmly said, sounding well rested and anxious.

“Apologies for my tardiness,” Dekon stated sleepily as he reviewed in his head the plan he had engineered. The thoughts of the previous evening still haunted him, but he forced them out of his head to carefully review the details. This was his mission, his responsibility, and his first mission without his father. At twenty two, even with his sixteen years of training, his father had never before let him go on a mission that he himself had not been on. Dekon was no stranger to combat, but it seemed as though Darkwind was protecting him from something, protecting him until now. “Thank you for you assistance Lux. We may spend the day preparing and we will leave in the night, to avoid commotion.”

“Very good then. Gentle men, I wish you luck. I have some good will dealings to go over with to present to the king of Jinn. I will see you upon your return.” Darkwind started, dismissing the meeting. As the other three rose and headed toward the door, stood. “Dekon, Lux, can I speak with you a moment?”

“Of course father, what is it?” Dekon replied as they both turned. Lux closed the door as they stopped and faced the general.

“I hope you will both be careful on your mission. I want two very capable generals returning alive.” Darkwind replied with both a look of concern in his eyes and a smirk on his face.

“I’m sorry general, but just how do you know I am of any ability? You have never seen me fight.” Lux questioned. Dekon silently cursed Lux for asking this. He knew how the general knew. The general had heard of last night. Dekon was struggling as it was over his rash actions. He did not need to hear a recap form his father.

“I am much more informed than you think Sir Lux.” Darkwind replied smiling. I have already heard of your late night exploits, and I am quite impressed. Both the bartender and the woman you saved have come forward thanking you both for what you did. The woman was being raped, and the men would not pay their bar bill and threatened the barkeep if he did not keep serving them.” Darkwind continued. “Now, Lux, you are welcome to anything you need to prepare. But I must speak with my son in private of some family business.” Darkwind looked toward Lux, and then the door.

“Of course sir. I will be training to recover from my time in bed if you need me.” And with that Lux headed to exit. “I can serve this man.” Lux thought to himself as he walked. “He rules with dignity and morals, and knows to respect talent. That, I can respect.”

“Don’t fret over killing those men so much Dekon” Lux heard the general say as he exited and headed to find some lunch before he trained.

“But father, even with what they were doing, they deserved a fair trial.” Dekon argued back.

“Son, you must learn that sometimes, a quick judgment is best. Those men had cause trouble every time they had been here. There were seven reports of armed robbery and murder last night, all describing their gang, but every time they were seen, they left town before we could catch them. Since they were not an immediate concern, we did not pursue, but they kept returning. Lux and you both did a great service in ending that. But had you hesitated, they would have killed you both. Please understand that if violence is eminent make sure you throw the first punch, because any blow can kill you.”

“I will try father.” Dekon replied. He felt much better knowing the men more than deserved it. His conscience was clear that he had killed for the right reasons. The two exchanged last goodbyes as Darkwind headed to embark on his good will missions, and Dekon went to rest. He had been prepared for this mission for weeks, and now he could rest before they departed. He then felt a rumble in his gut. He hurried off to the mess hall, remembering that he had missed breakfast.

General Leo Darkwind stood for a moment in his chamber. He thought of the daily routine he had been through everyday for as long as he could remember. Every day planning, preparing for when the time came. Finally the wheel was set in motion. He would live out the final purpose of his life. He quietly thought to himself as he readied.

“Goodbye my son.” Were his last thoughts before readying for his mission.

Dekon sat in the mess hall and thought. He started to come to terms with his killing of those men being just, when his new mystery came to mind. Why now after twenty two years, was his father freeing him of constant watch? What was he now ready for that he hadn’t been before?

“Care for a sparing match after lunch?” Lux’s deep voice pierced Dekon’s deep thought.

“Excuse me?” Dekon replied, a little surprised at what was being proposed.

“I have been bed ridden for three and a half weeks the healer tells me. I am no doubt rusty with my combat. Sparring with you will give me a chance to re-train myself and to better understand how to fight along side you.” Lux replied, with a partial smirk he continued. “Besides, I owe you one for those two punches last night.”

“Very well.” Dekon half chuckled as he rose from the table. “We shall duel in the main courtyard, so that all of the warriors in barren can see the might of their two Second Generals.” He stood in an exaggerated way on the table, making the boast in jest, to lighten the mood. They both had a good laugh at this and then both men walked to the courtyard together, determined to be the mightiest general, and still to continue the vast game of mental cards that they played trying to gain each other’s trust. Each carefully planned his deck along with his strategy for combat. They would prepare for the mission, and ready for perfection.

------



The wind crept by as the two walked into the courtyard. It was square and over one hundred feet wide. It looked as though drills and duels were held out here often. Dekon ordered that everyone clear to the side, and up onto the balconies for the fight. He had one of his captains bring in their weapons and ready the signal.

“We shall spar until one of us yields. This is not a battle to the death but a match for training. All styles of fighting you know are permitted.” Dekon said to Lux as the two walked to the weapon and armor racks. Both placed their armors over their tunics, and strapped them down. The sun was low in the sky as the sun sets early during fall, even in the desert. As Lux strapped on his plate mail with the same delicate care that he had the night before, he observed Dekon. Rather than the simple plate he had worn the night before, Dekon now began to adorn a suit not like any Lux had ever seen.

“What kind of armor is that? Lux asked, tightening his bracers.

“It is a special make. Our master armor smith here crafted it for me to utilize my speed with plate mail.” Dekon answered, sliding the odd breast plate over his chest. “The segmented sections break apart by minor chain attachments. I can move as freely as chain, but with half the weight, and twice the armor strength.”

“Amazing.” Lux replied, strapping his sword to his back, and donning his cloak.

“I tried to swing your sword while you were injured. It is amazingly heavy, yet you freely handle it like I do a standard broadsword. How is it so heavy? And how do you wield it like it were made of straw?” Dekon asked as he watched Lux cover himself in his umbra deep green cloak.

“The weapon is composed of over six times as much metal as a normal sword of its size. My master, who taught me many of my styles had it forged for me the day I mastered his fighting style, the combination of everything I know. He had it forged in a Draconic smith’s shop. A dragon, taking the human form of a black smith forged my sword and tempered it with his great strength to be this dense. Because of my master’s training I have gained the strength to wield it perfectly.” Lux replied, taking his trident and walking across the battlefield to where he would begin.

“I wish you well in this fight Lux.” Dekon smiled as he strapped his weapon belts around his chest. He drew his katana and readied it, as the wind howled one more time in the silence before the storm. The two locked eyes, each anticipating where they would swing. A single smirk came across both of their faces.

“GO!” They shouted, and the dusty earth was kicked up in two places where they lunged at each other. The battle had begun.

Each dashing, weapons drawn, they swung. Dekon sliced across towards Lux’s stomach, but Lux arced his trident up and across to his right to deflect the swing. Dekon immediately leaped into a full moonsault over Lux, spinning his sword out of contact of the deflection as he soared over Lux’s head. Lux spun immediately to try to catch Dekon upon his landing, but Dekon landed and balanced on the head of the trident, pausing Lux’s swing for just a moment. Then he back flipped low off of the tident and as Lux finished his swing, Dekon tried a flipping kick to Lux’s jaw. Lux spun just out of range of the kick and brought his trident crashing down to the spot where Dekon was standing. Dekon back hand sprung out of the way, and kicked his sword high into the air. He stood still for a split second, and then snapped a round house around with blazing speed, sending the falling katana at Lux’s head like a dart. Lux barely swung his trident up in time to deflect the flying blade. The katana flew and imbedded its self into a wooden support pole for scaffolding, nearly as deep as its hand guard.

“Close, but Tri-Strike won’t break from such a weak hit.” Lux boasted as he whirled the trident around in a whirlwind for show.

“I see you name your weapons as well Lux.” Dekon replied as he brushed his deep red spikes of hair out of his eyes with his hand.

“That I do Dekon, so please bring out your next friend. I’d love to be introduced.” Lux stated, drawing his trident into a readied position.

“Since you enjoyed playing with Fast Draw so much, I’m sure you will appreciate my North and South Stars!” Dekon shouted as he leapt at Lux, whirling his two steel tonfas, which were now freed from his weapon straps.

Dekon lunged at Lux, he spun his tonfas around as he struck, but Lux was ready. Lux’s trident deflected the blow. Lux then swung to strike the open solider, but Dekon cart wheeled out of the way.

“Too predictable.” Lux said, waiting for the next attack. Dekon came at him again, swining with his left tonfa. Lux deflected t easily, but then noticed Dekon’s smile. Dekon crossed his right tonfa over and caught Lux’s trident in a lock and then flipped it out of his hands. Dekon chuckled as he dropped back and spun his tonfas in a taught.

“I know you’re not unarmed Lux, so take out that sword and lets continue.” Dekon said, confidently laughing as he readied.

“Nah, I think it’s time I make you dodge my attacks for a while.” Lux said. He readied in a fighting stance that Dekon had never seen before and waved his hand toward Dekon as if to say “Bring it on.”

Dekon ran full on at Lux. Lux raised his arm, and lightly mumbled something in another language. A bright light shone in his hand above his head, and as he swung his arm down he hurled a ball of shining liquid flame toward Dekon. Dekon dove and rolled out of the way, and he could feel the heat as the ball barely grazed past him. He looked at Lux in shock, and charged again.

“Let’s see how fast you really are!” Lux screamed leaping into the air. With his strength he easily leaped over fifteen feet straight up, and as Dekon charged at him he unleashed a volley of fireballs. Dekon darted to and fro, rolling and leaping to dodge the exploding bursts of flame. As he got close to Lux, he leapt in a spinning torpedo and spiraled at Lux. Lux dropped down, and as Dekon sailed over him, he spun and extended his arms towards the red-headed torpedo. Again, Lux lightly mumbled something in another language and as he finished a forked bolt of lightning arced across the air toward Dekon. Dekon’s aerial maneuvers were near catlike and he twisted and ducked to avoid the bolts. He landed and without hesitation sprinted towards Lux again to attack. Lux pointed his fingers to the ground ahead of where Dekon was running. Once again, he mumbled and incantation and a crystalline liquid sprayed, and froze a large pool of ice in front of the agile attacker. Dekon’s eyes widened as he stepped on the ice, moving too fast to react. He slipped and fell on his back. His eyes looked up at the sky, wondering if Lux was done with him. He had never been in a sparring match where his opponent kept up this well. He would have to bring out something else if he was going to win this. He rolled to his side dropping his tonfas. As he reached for his next weapon, he saw a shadow pass over him. He looked up to ready a dodge of some of Lux’s sorcery, but all he saw was a shadowy dark cloak floating down over his vision. He heard a hard impact in front of him, and as he peeled the cloak from his eyes and tossed it to the side, he saw Lux rising from one knee, his bronze armour shining in the sunset of the afternoon, and turning. His hand shot to his back and he removed the massive sword, and arched it around in a wide swing. He readied it above his head and smiled, thinking to himself, “Well, he’s fast enough to dodge that onslaught. Pretty impressive. I think we may be equals in battle.”

“Well, you are full of surprises!” Dekon said, breathing heavily, and drawing his claws from his belt. “But sorcery can only get you so far. Let’s see how well you fight with that blade.” In an instant Dekon was nearly at him, using much more speed than he had before. Lux did all he could to slow the rapidly advancing attacker. Dekon would be on him in seconds, so he let his rage go. Energy surged through him, and he forced it through his blade as he swung the massive sword around.

“BIG SWORD!” he screamed, a deadly anger in his eyes. As he screamed a wave of energy extended the blade to nearly twelve feet in length as he spun it around. Dekon stopped just short of the wave. He smiled a bit, and near vanished he moved so fast. Lux tried to follow the blur. He watched as Dekon ran around him, and felt the wind as the man’s metal claws sliced the air. In a blink, the blur dashed at him, and Lux brought his sword up to halt it.

The two men stood frozen like this. Lux’s blade stopping right at Dekon’s neck. Another inch and it would have sliced it. Dekon was not worried. He stood unflinching, watching as his claws barely touched Lux’s neck. The two stood locking eyes for a few moments. They stopped and laughed.

“Well, I definitely think I’m back up to my old self.” Lux said as he gathered his cloak and trident, and gave them to the attendants. He removed his armor and put it on the rack. “You are the first person to ever dodge all that. You are one very fast opponent.”

“Yeah, well normally I don’t have to use that speed. You actually matched me in a sparring match. It normally takes a half dozen of my father’s best men for me to get a work out. You alone did it in ten minutes. You caught me very off guard with that magic.” Dekon said as he put all of his weapons and armor on the racks. The two started to walk off as they talked.

“Yeah, but I had to use it. I couldn’t keep up physically for too much longer.” Lux replied as they left the courtyard, discussing combat strategies and ways they could work together on the misson. The men stood in awe, never having seen anyone keep up with Dekon one on one, and never having seen Dekon’s abilities pushed that far.

General Darkwind stood in his window, watching these events unfold. He somberly watched them walk out of the courtyard, but with a smile on his face.

“I am glad that they both can handle this on their own. What they must do, will take a stronger soul than I have. I just wish there was more time.” He said lightly as he closed the curtains. “Goodbye my son. I wish I could tell you good bye in person.”
© Copyright 2006 EyesOfDarkShine (luxumbra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1132616-Tears-of-Apocalypse-Chapter-1