*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1134268-Erins-Star
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1134268
a short story for the Picture is worth a thousand words contest {bitem:1101926}
         A breeze drifted gently in from the ocean, it had that clean salty smell that you get in the early morning hours down the at the shore. It was cool out, but it was a refreshing feeling, sending small goose bumps up Erin’s arms. Standing at her balcony door, she gazed out into the bay. Her stare was unbreakable; she seemed to be searching for something that could never be found. Her thoughts slowly drifted to a different time, a time when things were good, a time when there were no worries.

         “Erin!” a burly voice called out

         “Yes my love?” she answered in a playful tone.

         “You know I am headed out today don’t you?” the voice coming from the other room asked.

         “Yes she replied.” As she smiled

         “And you know what that means don’t you?” The man barked out in a jesting yet powerful voice.

         “Of course I do.” She stood up straight and at attention.

And then like a Great white shark bursting out of the water after its prey, a large husky man came barreling around the corner, picked her up and spun her several times around.

         “It is time to give the captain his good luck kiss!” he commanded.

Jonathan Lane was the captain of the fishing troller Erin's Star. He stood 6 ft 3; he had fiery red hair, and a beard that matched. He gazed into Erin’s eyes and then gently pressed his lips to hers. The kiss seemed to last an eternity, one of those moments that for some reason gets trapped in time.

         Later that day the couple drove down to the marina where the captain’s ship was moored. The crew had already begun preparations to set sail. Jonathan and Erin got out of the car and walked hand in hand down to the loading ramp. The sound of the water lapping up the side of the ship gave off the sound of a hundred small streams gurgling down a mountain slope. Seagulls flew just out of range, crying in the strange way that they do, scanning the ground for any scrap of food that might be neglected by the crew.

         “You know dear?” Jonathan quizzed “It is not very manly to show up and have the crew seeing us hold hands.” He said in a sarcastic tone.

         “Well my captain, I believe you have no choice but to hold my hand, or there will be an empty bed when you come home.” She let out a laugh and then as hard as she could she pinched him in the side.

         “Ouch!” He screamed as he leapt into the air. He then let out a burst of laughter that seemed to calm the very sea itself.

         “How did I get so lucky to marry the likes of you.” He said as he finished his laugh.

         The couple finally made their way to the ship. They turned to each other and embraced in a hug that would make most bears jealous.

         “Promise me!” Erin said sharply as she looked up at him with a concerned presence in her eyes.

         “I promise I will make it home safe” Jonathan said half heartily.

         “No damn it, Promise like you mean it, Promise on us!” she demanded.

         “Erin.” He gazed her deep in the eyes “I promise on the very soul of our child that I will be home safely” as he reached down and rubbed her belly.

         “Thank you.” She said with a now confident smile.

         Then she reached up and kissed him one more time. Jonathan turned and started up the ramp, when he reached the top, he turned and looked down at his wife and shouted.

         “I love you with all my heart!” he shouted down.

         “I love you too my dear Jonathan!” she shouted and waved.

He then gave a salute and a wave, turned and boarded the ship.

         A cry snapped her out of her dream, she turned and with a tear running down her face she rushed into little Jonathan’s room, and picked up the baby and started to gently rock him back and forth. She then carried him back to the door where she was just standing and looked down at the baby.

         “Shhhh, Don’t cry, your daddy is here with us.” she whispered.

         She kissed him on the forehead and then gazed back out into the sea.
It has now been a year since his ship went down in a sudden squall. They never found any wreckage. Erin, still looks out every morning believing her love will someday come back, after all he promised. She still can feel the kiss that seemed to last forever, she still hears the gulls calling out that day. At night when she sleeps, she swears that she can hear the ocean calling her to say

         “Jonathan is ok, he is with us now. We will take care of him.”




Word Count 819
© Copyright 2006 John Kirkland (karrill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1134268-Erins-Star