*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1135426-Night-Ride
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Entertainment · #1135426
Just putting this here so I don't lose it, really.
Ride on – Through the night – Ride on
Ride on – Through the night – Ride on


The moon shown high above her, lighting the way along the concrete highway. It was the only light she had to drive by, as she didn’t want to alert anyone to her presence there. Not that the noise didn’t give her away, but light would only pinpoint her location. It was much more difficult to sight on a moving black target that a lighted one. Even though she was in no immediate danger, she didn’t trust the forest. She’d heard too many stories about death stalking in the trees.

There are visions, there are memories
There are echoes of thundering hooves
There are fires, there is laughter
There’s the sound of a thousand doves


The sound of the wind created a nice undertone to the music she had pumping into her helmet on repeat. Anyone else listening would probably have been fairly confused. It was definitely not the type she would play around other Brujah, but it helped her in the long, lonely hours on the road.

In the velvet of the darkness
By the silhouette of silent trees
They are watching, they are waiting
They are witnessing life’s mysteries


The stars glittered over her helmet and bike, and she was soothed. Her destination was three days away at most, with a stop in the next city to restock and refuel. Mostly, though, it would be the open road. She had her route planned out in entirety, with a few hours grace every night in case of emergencies.

Cascading stars on the slumbering hills
They are dancing as far as the sea
Riding o’er land, you can feel its gentle hand
Leading on to its destiny


It had been a week and a half since she’d announced she was going on vacation. She deserved it, and it would be longer that a measly month. She was going to enjoy herself, damn it. She’d felt herself losing focus these past few months, and that was fatal in her line of work. And not just for her. If it had just been her ass on the line, it wouldn’t have mattered as much, but her partner could not be made to feel that pain, nor could she put her in that much danger, knowingly. Just because their job was hazardous was no reason to add to the danger. That would make it downright suicidal.

Take me with you on this journey
Where the boundaries of time are now tossed
In cathedrals of the forest
In the words of the tongues now lost


So she was on her way to the only place that was close to being home. They would be surprised, pleasantly, she hoped. One or two might look upon her stay with trepidation, but that was not her problem. She had people to see, there, and others would just have to deal with the bitch being back.

Find the answers, ask the questions
Find the roots of an ancient tree
Take me dancing, take me singing
I’ll ride on till the moon meets the sea


The city of her next stop loomed up on the horizon, its lights beginning to block out the stars. She smiled and pulled to the side of the road. Pulling her helmet off her tightly woven braids, she put her phone to her ear. It picked up after only a few rings.

“I’ll be there in three days. Be ready.”

Ride on – Through the night – Ride on
Ride on – Through the night – Ride on

© Copyright 2006 Evaleastaristev (swordsinger at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1135426-Night-Ride