*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137278-One-Or-Two
by tien
Rated: ASR · Essay · Religious · #1137278
An acticle on religion and thoughts difference.
I once met a guy online. No, I’m not pervert, he’s not gay. I read up on Pagan a few years back. I was curious about it so I study a branch of Paganism called Wicca and I was talking about it on a forum. A legacy from my misspent youth. One of the few actually, but I digress. And of course, when I am studying, I always sort of like to have people to discuss what I have learnt. It helps reinforce what I learnt and if I am wrong, correct my misunderstanding. But more importantly, it provides another perspective and further my knowledge of what I have learnt.

This guy was somewhat interested in what I was saying. By the way, I should mention that we are arguing about the divinity difference in Wicca and Christianity. In Wicca, they believed having a goddess and a god, usually referred to as “Consort”. It deals a blow to the general men population’s ego, but it is a fact that they honor the female more than male. The female creates, while the male protects. But it is useless to protect if nothing is created.

But he argues that, there is only one God. He is the embodiment of all things, and that He is absolute. There is no need for a male and female god, for He is All and Omniscience. He is ever present and He is the creator of all things. He does not need anything to balance the power, because He is the power. And He is unisex.

I have no argument for that. In fact, I was rendered speechless. Never had I met someone who was so absolutely devoted that he was actually trying to convert me online. Don’t ask me how I know, because I just know. His style of writing is no longer the guy who first wrote an email to me, asking me for a little theology discussion. We were engaging a theological fencing and I was thrashed soundly, not because I’m woefully inept at arguing, but I actually knew very little about Wicca and almost have the size of an ant’s brain when it comes to Christianity. Wicca, in those days, are still considered as an unorthordox religion, and I was indifferent to Christianity as a chicken is to water.

But now, I realised one thing. There was a flaw in his argument. Yes, it took me that long to realise that. That flaw is that, everything comes in pairs. Well, maybe not everything, because some of them actually come in threes, or even fours. But if you would realise, most things we do or see, seems to be only half of the whole story. Good and bad, positive and negative, boy and girl, light and dark, male and female, old and young, strong and week. I’m sure the list goes on. These are merely a few rudimentary examples I can think of offhand. Same goes for the belief in goddess and god. They believe that one offsets the other, yet complimenting each other. In other words, would it not be safe to assume that there are two instead of one, each representing the “half story” idea?

Nothing can be absolute. If something is absolute, that could only mean one thing. It has reached the state of perfection. But if it has reached the state of perfection, would it still exist in our world. Look around us, there is nothing that is perfect. The word perfect is merely a way of describing something that comes so close to our thinking, imagination that we cannot distinguish between reality and our own private world. What is perfect to you doesn’t necessary be perfect to others.

If taking this line of reasoning, wouldn’t it be safe to say that God is not perfect, since He created so many imperfect things and still has to send Jesus to clear up his mess? It maybe bluntly put across, but I was simply still not convinced that power should only be distributed to only one being. Emperor Qin of ancient China tried it, Adolf Hitler of World War 2 Germany certainly did it, Saddam Hussein of devastated Iraq also achieved it. But they certainly did not maintain it. It’s only a matter of time before the so called perfection was marred.

Alright, even if God is truly almighty, where does the idea of Satan comes from? If God is truly mighty, what’s the point of having Satan to oppose Him? He could have simply blast Satan into nothingness. There you have it, another balance in power. In a way, Wicca’s Goddess and Consort also somewhat relate to this idea. The eternal struggle between good and bad, except that they are not struggling, but the idea of Goddess and Consort, is actually a representation of two forces, opposing each other yet complimenting each other. Oh, one more thing. There is actually no such thing as Satan. It was simply a ploy used by missionaries in ancient Rome and other countries where earth based religion is popular to frighten people into thinking Witchcraft is evil.

But back to the idea of Goddess and Consort. They are opposing each other but yet they are complimenting each other. Isn’t it sort of ironic? Look at the world around us. Opposing force: woman and man are good in each areas of expertise, but not good in each other areas of expertise. Can an average woman be stronger than an average man? Can an average man be more flexible than an average woman? Note the word “average”. Those who do not conform to the above description only mean two things. One is that they are specially trained. Another is that they are in such a deep state of self denial that they refuse to see it.

Complimenting force: man need woman to know that they are good carers and undertakers of tasks which get them flustered. Woman need man to know that they need someone to help them in tasks which they simply could not perform. Woman simply could not get pregnant and become a mother, no matter how capable she is.

This is what I meant by opposing and complimenting force. We oppose each other gender but yet, we need each other. Discounting homosexuals, of course. I still can’t find an argument to that loophole. Maybe you can help to fill or attack this loophole. But what I believe is that, for balance to exist, there must be two. If not, how can we compare and make sure what we believe is balanced?

Balance in power: One being in the center, or two vastly different beings standing side by side?
© Copyright 2006 tien (tien_skye at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137278-One-Or-Two