*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137598-Ill-Whistle-Down-a-Constellation
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1137598
Harris Burdick inspired/written senior year/considering continuation to epic fantasy novel
I’ll Whistle Down a Constellation

“I can see your silhouette now,” said Theo to the night forest.

“I can see your silhouette and I think I’d like to outline it in words.” He sat on a nearby rock that was once piece to a majestic undersea castle and wrote about the forests silhouette against the rainbow lit sky.

My favorite part of night is the sight of your silhouette
My favorite part of your silhouette is how it looks against the sky
I raise my eager hands to all the rainbow colors
So the colors may grab them to lift me up high

A warm breeze enveloped Theo and for an instant, a fire glowed from within his cheeks. That was it. That was the answer. A gesture sent to indicate approval. Theo smiled to himself then fixed his gaze again onto the silhouette and the sky that brilliantly illuminated it. He closed his right eye, then his left. Back and forth he winked finding it rather amusing to see the night shifting left to right, right to left. When he stopped, a constellation was glowing profusely. It was a constellation that glowed only for Theo. He had made several attempts to share this wonder with others, but as soon as they looked up to see this cluster of stars for themselves, it would fade away. It was only there for him to see; it was always there for him to see.

The constellation itself was made up of eight stars and contained a familiarity that Theo could never quite grasp. He had sat for hours before, connecting the stars and making out possible shapes, hoping in doing so he could solve this mystery. He formed a fluttering butterfly, except it fluttered out of view. He then made out a mighty mountain range, but within moments, it crumbled away. He never could get it, no matter how hard he tried. Someday it would make sense. But that time would not be tonight, as it was already ten past eleven. The rainbow colors were beginning to diminish.

“Another day,” Theo said to himself. He stood to bid the skies farewell.

“Till we meet again.” He bowed and then turned to head home. He had walked only a few steps when he heard a faint sound, a faint whistle. He looked and found no one present but himself and the sky. There was a long pause of silence. Theo shrugged the noise off and continued on his way home. But again, the whistle came. This time, a bit louder, so that Theo could decipher its direction. It was coming from above. He paused once more, but nothing came. This time, Theo broke the silence by whistling back to the sky. He was met by silence. But before he turned, the whistle came again, closer. He whistled back. Again, the whistle came closer. He whistled back. Now the whistle triumphed in the night sky so loud that Theo felt he could wrap himself in it. As much as in awe he was, the whole happening shook him a bit. He didn’t whistle back. Instead, he ran home as fast as his feet could take him. He didn’t hear the whistle again even as he reached his home. He ran upstairs to the comfort of his room, shut his door and ran to his window. He peered out at the night sky, but magic was no more. It looked as ordinary as anything. He stepped back, and convinced himself that he had imagined it all. As the sunken chime echoed 12 throughout the house, fatigue conquered Theo and he fell asleep.

It was early morning and still dark out when the constellation appeared in the sky again. It lingered there for a mere few seconds, then began to descend. Gradually, the cluster of stars moved in closer.

All was still and quiet as Theo lay, deeply knit in dreams. A slight scratching was heard at Theo’s window. The latches gently unlocked, and the window slowly began to open. Creak went the window and the stars floated right on in. Mid darkness, the stars were incandescing. They glowed so golden, their glow so blinding, that Theo woke to shield his eyes.

"Dear child of Eden keep your stare me
For as blinding as this vision may be
It shines bright of your own awe and beauty
Look deep and yourself is what you may see."

Theo removed his hand from his face, and there it was, floating right above his bed; the constellation. He quickly sat up, and stared in disbelief. The stars stared back, then spoke in unison:

He whistled for you
And you answered his call
So now by his orders
From this world you’ll withdraw
Into the magical kingdom beyond
So prepare my dear child
To enter the dawn

One by one, the stars encircled Theo. He began to rise from his bed until he himself floated in mid air. The stars brought Theo to his open bedroom window and there, awaiting him, was the most radiant aurora Theo had seen in all his days of living. He knew what to do. He raised his eager hands to all the rainbow colors, and the colors wrapped around to lift him up high.
© Copyright 2006 Sharleen (bycandlelight at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137598-Ill-Whistle-Down-a-Constellation