*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137643-That-Spring-was-Astonishingly-Beautiful
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1137643
A story of an ancient tribe and the ceremony they do every spring.
That spring was astonishingly beautiful. The sun dried the dew in the pasture and the songbirds were twittering with delight. Extraordinary things were happening in the lake down in the valley.

The natives of that land were praising this lake’s lucent waters and the spirit that was believed to inhabit its depths. They do this ritual at night under the starry skies in mid-spring when the waters are exceptionally clear.

Korvowee, the chieftain of that tribe, would slaughter a beast of the nearby woodland area. This was done in hopes of raising the mystical animal from it’s home in the lake. The others of the tribe, dressed in leathers, skins and furs, wearing their finest of jewelry and body decorations, gathered in a circle around the waters as Korvowee rode to the center on a raft. There was much chanting and dancing as the chieftain fervently raised the slaughtered beast in offering to the beauty below.

Blood dripped from the severed stomach of the beast and the fish scattered with apprehension. But just like every year past, nothing rose from the deep. The natives left but not with despair. They are used to this disappointment and are already excited for the next spring when the ritual happens again.

But the story does not end there, my friends. There was a little girl who was named Woreev and was the daughter of Korvowee the chieftain. This was her seventh ritual but she noticed something different about it. She felt a presence that had not been present in the past years.

Woreev stayed at the lake when everyone else had left. The little girl looked into the waters of the lake and was astonished by the great feeling she was experiencing. She wept from as this overwhelming emotion overtook her. Woreev picked up a smoothed stone and lobbed it into the waters. She turned her back and started off for her home.

What she didn’t know was that the tears she shed over the lake were stirring something deep within. She turned to find a majestic shape rising from the lakes bowels. She dare not blink for she may miss this wondrous moment. As Woreev stood and watched a few natives noticed the light coming from the lake and watched from a far distance.

Suddenly, as if being projected out by a great explosion, the shape took form and rose from the lake’s water. It was as beautiful as clear glass and glistened like the dew that covered the flower pedals. It took a long and deep glance at Woreev and, just as fast as it came, it flew into the night sky.

For the years to come, the tribe no longer had problems finding food in the harsh winters and growing crops in the dry summers. The beautiful creature that rose from the lake to the sky had forever given this tribe life and good fortune.

© Copyright 2006 Jenna L. (data at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1137643-That-Spring-was-Astonishingly-Beautiful