*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140288-Baseball-My-American-Pie
by Markus
Rated: 13+ · Essay · Sports · #1140288
My thoughts about baseball and how it plays a role in my life. (in progress)
I looked out at the pitcher's mound. I had never seen this guy before, but what he had thrown so far did not look too good. It was half way into the summer season, and I still had not gotten a hit yet. I had no problem at practice, I just need to carry it over to game time. The pitcher stared in at me, then pulled back his arm. I did my best to watch were the ball was being released, then waited. The pitch looked outside, so I took it. The umpire yelled "STRIKE ONE!" My coach yelled out at me, then sent the sign. I then looked back at the pitcher and tightened my grip on the bat. He sent the next pitch in and it looked to be right over the plate. I swung out at the ball and it exploded off my bat. It soared out through center field. I tossed the bat aside and ran down the baseline as fast as I could. I looked back at the ball and it carried over the orange plastic fence that marked the end of the outfield. Inside I was ecstatic and pratically floated around the remaining bases. The third base coach slapped my hand as I went by. It was a great night of baseball, as we went on to win the game.

My first little league game was not until I was in Junior High. I had played ball with my friends for many years, but never for a team. Once I had some fundamentals, I was hooked. Unfornatelly, I never made it past little league. I knew I did not have the experience to play for the high school team, so I stayed with soccer. I do not remember every game like the one above. That memory is stuck in my head.

Today, baseball is a hobbie of mine. I have a pretty extensive baseball card collection and a small group of autographs. Occasionally I will play for a slow pitch softball team or still take batting practice. I wish I could take the knowledge I have now, back to when I was a kid, but they haven't invented a time machine yet. I still enjoy the game whether I am playing or watching it. I am a big fan of Major League Baseball and follow my Oakland A's throughout the season. There is just something about the game; the rules, the strategies, integrity (whats left), the victors, and the losers.

Major League Baseball has basically turned into my religion. I simply can't get enough of all the stats, players, and trades. I know the game of baseball is not the most exciting sport. Some people think it is too slow and the players are over paid. I will agree with the over paid part. It does take patience to sit through an entire game, but that is all part of it. The game of baseball has been apart of American history for over one hundred years. Many heroes have come about during this time. Some of these men will be apart of American history forever. When will the name Babe Ruth ever become wore out. In an elementary classroom I taught in a year ago, I had the oportunity to talk about this man and many other quality players of his time. I was surprised with how interested the students were and many asked questions who normaly do not. While growing up, baseball is a game that everyone can have and should have, a chance to play.

Every year, I try to attend as many Oakland Athetics games as possible. Usually that means around three and four. The ticket prices have gone up along with the cost of all the consessions in the park. For a quality day at the ballpark with my girlfriend, it can end up costing one hundred bucks. I do not mind the price, and compared with what it costs to do anything else, it is usually money well spent. There is nothing better than the first moment that glowing green field comes into view. Whether it is the first time, or the hundreth time, it is always a pleasure. I have never been late to a ball game. In fact, I always try to arrive a couple hours early. I have to have a couple beers before I go in and nothing beats a chance to watch your ball club take batting practice. The players are more casual during this time and one has an excellent chance of getting a batting practice ball or an autograph. Of course at my age, I let the kids get in front of me first. Nothing beats that smile on their face when a pro ball player comes over and gives some time to the fans. When an adult catches a foul ball and gives it to a kid, they know why they are really at the park.

I still believe the majority of pro ball players come out each day and play as hard as they can, otherwise I might be doing something else with my time. There is nothing better that to watch your favorite baseball club change through out the season. What did they look like on day one compared to the last game of the season? Of course only one team walks away with a World Series title, the rest of us hold on to the good times during the season. The second half of the season is what it is all about. Which team is going to make those key wins to advance into the playoffs. I can't believe there are still people who complain about the Wild Card. I think this is the best change in MLB over the last few decades. Teams who still have had a productive season can make or break themselves in the last few weeks. The big rule that needs to be changed is the DH. Lets just get rid of it, and make those lazy pitches pick up a bat. I would think many American League pitches become bored pitching and then sitting on the bench. The DH rule just allows older players to put up more numbers at the end of their career. Making the pitcher bat adds a lot more strategy to the game as well.

What state is Major League Baseball really in today? Steroids have nearly taken away what dignity was left in the game. I did not become a serious Oakland Athletics fan until 1989. I have watched many big hitters pass through over time and it turns out, many of them cheated. Unfortunatly Jose Canseco was my first hero and he turned out to be the worst out of them all. Most players are excellent athletes and have been for many years. Why jepardize your health to the hit the ball twenty feet farther? Oh that's right, they need to sign a multi-million dollar contract to pay the bills. I am just trying to figure out if during the eighties and ninties the majority of ball players used roids. I will probably have the same chance of finding that out compared to finding out the truth about UFO's. It is amazing what people will go through to protect Major League Baseball. Right now, one of Barry Bond's trainers is sitting in a jail cell because he will not tell the truth. My god, why can't Barry be the man he claims he is and tell us about how he turned it the incredible Hulk.

I am not entirely picking on Mr. Bonds, he is part of a larger group. I do believe he is one of the best hitters of all time, but his weight gain is just to obvious. Look what happened to Jason Giambi. He also put on a lot of weight and because of continually taking steriods, he ended up hurting his body. I was a big Giambi fan when he played in Oakland. Giambi grumbled out his opology if it even was one, and now appears to be returning to normal. He needs to get off the Yankee bench and start playing first base. When McGwire had to plead his case, he cried in front of a grand jury. Palmeriod waved his big fat finger around in front of the jury and claimed he was steriod free. He is a liar, and could not have left the game of baseball in a more embarrassing way. Where is Sammy Sosa these days? He went through a similar body change as Bonds and also was caught with a corked bat. Sometimes I wonder why I am still a baseball fan after sitting through the ninetines.

I believe Major League Baseball has a good future ahead. They appear to be coming up with good ideas to rid the game of steriods. The league is full of spectacular rookies right now, Ryan Howard of the Phillies has forty-eight homeruns with over a month left to go. Although I despise the Minnisota Twins, they have one of the best farm systems. They have a great chance for the playoffs this year after competing with the White Sox and Tigers. Speaking of rookies, Detroit has been in first place most of the season because of them. They have a well balanced team this season.

2007 (Also, this isn't really much of an essay, should be a blog or something, anyways, I will keep this going until I become bored with it)

Alright, I decided to get off my lazy bottom and give a little addition to this. Yes Detriot beat up on my team in the playoffs, but look how bad they played in the last series. Anyway, it is a new season and things do seem a little different this year so far.

For once the Yankees are not in first place. The Yankees have demonstrated in the last five years that the money doesn't always win. The Yankees spend more than any other ball club and they believe that money should buy them a championship. When the Yankees loose, its all about who should be blamed. "It is his fault, fire him! No, it was his fault, trade him!" Only the Yankee teams that truely play together go all the way. Not the teams just full of individual stars. I would hate to be in the Yankee farm system, (except for this season) who knows if you would ever be called up. That's how baseball teams are supposed to function. The ball club can buy big money players, that's fine, but don't forget about all the young talent in the minors. Take my Oakland Athletics for example.

Well, I just finished watching the All-Star game. Not bad this year, but I really think the venue helped out. San Francisco does have one of the best stadiums in baseball. I really enjoyed the tribute to Wille Mays, he deserved every bit of it. I really liked watching the players fall out of line and walk behind one of the greatest players of all time. The ride in the converable really topped it off. Would someone please explain why Barry Bonds was in the starting lineup? Most players have to put up respectable numbers before starting in an All-Star game. I don't care that it was his home stadium, this was just a chance for Bonds to look like a decent guy for all the fans to see.

Well, of course I am not satisfied with the first half of baseball. Half of the starting players on my A's were on the DL. I am barely content that we are at .500 ball right now, but how in the heck are they going to catch the Angles? The A's did bring up a ton of young talent this season to fill in the gaps. Travis Buck is simply outstanding. Dan Johnson is starting to get things together. The pitchers who have been asked to fill in have done the best they could. Lenny Dinardo, Shane Komine, and few others who have worked in the bullpen. I do have a hard time watching A's games, who knows what team will show up?

This season, I most impressed with the Brewers. Its about time that ball club put together a winning season. They have been slowly putting the pieces together, and now it is starting to pay off. Three of their players made it to the All-Star game. The Brewers are in a very interesting division. I can't believe how poorly all the other teams are playing! What is wrong with the Cinncinati Reds? How many more good players do they need to win a game? They have Griffey, Dunn, Arroyo, and a new beautiful stadium! Maybe the fans are just not wishing hard enough. I am watching the Cubs closely. They are still in it and could catch the Brewers. They are loaded with talent, but the question is if these gentlemen can work together to get the job done. The fight between the catcher and pitcher seemed to wake everyone up. I hope they make the division race interesting.

Well, lets look at the NL West. Each year, this division has teams that can go all the way. I love how it always seems to go all the way to the last week of the season until we know who the winner is. This year, it seems like a battle between the Padres and Dodgers. Arizona and Colorado still have a chance so anything could happen. Notice how I did not include the Giants. What an embarassing ball club. The Giants are a perfect example of a baseball team spending incrediable amounts of money with no results to show. I thought they would be the team to beat, unfortunately they only beat themselves. The Giants have a great starting rotation, but they are left out to dry since none of the hitters can score a run. The Giants batting order is full of senior citizens that don't deserve any of the money they are getting paid. Since Barry B. can't use steriods any more, his bat is just not working. Why do they build a team around this guy who should be sitting on an American League bench waiting for his turn to bat as a DH. He is done for. He is playing so bad, he might not even break Hank Aaron's record this year.
© Copyright 2006 Markus (hempster3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140288-Baseball-My-American-Pie