*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140687-The-Little-Music-Box-2
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1140687
What will Kayla get from wishing upon a shooting star?
Wish upon a Shooting Star

Dear Diary,
I couldn’t stop thinking of the kiss, that magical moment underneath the stars shared with a Prince. It had to be every girls dream to find her Prince charming. Who would’ve ever known I could find mine so easily? But the thing was, I was 15 and it seems so childish now. None of the girls my age talk about fairy tales anymore.

The things that matter to them are how their hair looks and if there clothes make them look attractive to the boys. I liked the little music box and my imaginary Prince but in reality I am too old for it. I mean lets face it I worry about my hair everyday and if the clothes fit perfect enough to show my figure. I'm not five years old, wearing plastic jewelry, playing dress up, and pretending to be a princess.

Don’t get me wrong because every time I am feeling down or bored I open that box up and wind up the music. It boosts my self-esteem. But until I am in one of those moods Im going to lay off of it.

Love,
Kayla


There I was writing in my journal waiting for my mom to get done blow drying her hair so she could take us; My older brother and I, to school. Today was the first week they were selling prom tickets and I had to find the courage to ask my crush if he would like to go. I’ve had a crush on this guy since the sixth grade and I think it was time for me to move in on it. Something had to be done, I mean everyday he smiles at me and comes up to talk to me. He even flirts with me around his ex-girlfriends.

Yeah I know what you’re probably thinking ex-girlfriends, what is he a player? Well actually all the girls break up with him for the older seniors so I think he is pretty safe. I’ve been friends with him since Elementary school and he is still the same romantic, sweet, caring guy he has always been.

“ What are you drooling over, you looser?” My older brother Chad shouted from behind me grabbing a quick glass of milk and chugging it down.

“ Nothing.” I put my journal in my book bag and zipped up the zippers.

“ Mom said she’ll be down in a minute she said she wants us in the car waiting.”

Waiting in the car always felt like it took hours but once I was at school I had more problems to worry about. The popular girls would be all over my crush and I wouldn’t ever have a chance to ask him. Luckily, I had my best friend Ash, that was short for Ashley, to help me get through the day. I was at my locker which was right across the hall from my crush Justin’s locker.
“ Kayla are you sure you want to do this? I mean there is other guys to ask not just him.” Ash didn’t seem to convinced that it was the right move for me to do.

“ Yes, Ash, I think this is the right thing to do. Why are you so doubtful about this?” I wanted to know if she was hiding something from me. The way she was talking sounded as if she knew something bad. It was like she was trying to sugarcoat something

“ Oh, well it’s just that you two have been good friends for awhile and I just don’t want you to get head over heels and then end up hurt.” I could understand where she was coming from but it was my only chance to see if we had something.

I took a deep breath looking at the small mirror in my locker to see if everything looked perfect. Then I slowly walked over to his locker. I opened my mouth and said “ Justin?” tapping him on the shoulder. But before he turned around to see that it was me who was talking Sandy Clemens, one of the cheerleaders for his football team barged into me and interrupted.

“ Justin How have you been lately?” Sandy put on her girly innocent act to get his attention.

“ Fine. Why?” He never really talked much to her and he would always roll his eyes.

“ I was just wondering if you’re going to the prom with anyone?”

“ Im going to the prom but not with you.” Justin said so bluntly it almost put tears into Sandy’s eyes.

“ Justin, you know you like me. I seen you checking me out everyday at football practice in the fall. What happened?” Sandy bashed her eyes and started to massage him around his neck.

“ Sandy stop it.” He pulled her hands off of him.

“ C’mon you know you want to go with me. Please.” She begged with her sad puppy dog face.

“ No..No..No..because Im going with...” He looked at me and pulled me close to him. “ because I’m going with Kayla.”

I don’t think anybody in the whole school moved. He said it so loud and the look on Sandy’s face was priceless. My heart had to of stopped beating, I don’t even think for those few minutes of silence I was even breathing.

“ You mean you’re going with that scuzz?” Tears were running down her face and I was still in shock., but comforted by Justin’s warm arms around me.

“ Yeah. So get over me.” Sandy pushed him as her and her posse walked down the hall.

Justin let go of me and waved his hand in front of my face seeing if I was okay. I couldn’t believe that the guy I have had a crush on for six years said without me knowing that he wanted to go with me. It definitely saved me the pressure and blushing of asking him. Ash looked at me and did a little hand motion to talk to him.

“ Hey are you okay?” Justin asked with a huge smile on his face. “ Sorry if I embarrassed you like that.”

I still couldn’t talk.

“ Well I know that wasn’t the right way to ask somebody to go to the prom so.” He paused a few seconds and then he took my hand; how romantic, and asked, “ Would you like to go to the prom with me?”

“ Oh my, wow this is great. Sure I’d love to.” Justin looked at me with another smile and kissed me on my lips. My heart was pounding and my foot even lifted a little off of the ground. I felt the same way I felt when I was with the mysterious man from the little music box.

“ Here is my number call me okay.” On the paper was his number written inside a heart. Justin walked away to go to his classes blowing me a kiss.

Ash ran over to me and jumped up and down hugging me. “ Aren’t you glad?” She said, “ The guy you wanted for so long wants you now.” She was freaking out.

“ Yes! Are you kidding me. I’ve been waiting my whole life for this.” I jumped up and down while people were starring at me like I was a freak. “ But, wait?” I pushed ash away from me,
“ weren’t you the one who said this would be a bad idea?”

Ash stalled and looked up at the ceiling, “ Yeah, but that was only because I heard that he was going to take Sandy. Obviously not now though, so everything is good.”

I felt great that he chose me over some stuck up snobbish popular.

The next few nights on the phone with Justin were a relief that everything was going to go perfect.

“ I can’t wait to see you in that sexy dress of yours. And I can’t wait to be there holding you in my arms and kissing you under the stage lights when they announce you me as the Prom king and Queen.” His words were so reassuring.

“ I can’t wait either. This has been my dream since I was a little girl.”

“ Goodnight, sweetie.” Justin’s voice was so cute as he said goodbye.

“Goodbye. See you at school.”



While the weeks grew on and Prom was coming close Justin seemed a little distracted.

“ Hey Justin!” We kissed at his locker. “ I can’t wait till prom and you get to see my dress. It’ll look so great being next to you all night.”

He kissed me again but this one was on my cheek and he held me close to him.

“ What’s wrong?” I asked.

“ We need to talk.” The four most hated words for a girl to ever hear. “I...I.. don’t know..how to..”

Before he could finish his sentence his friends pulled him away from me.

“ Dude it is lunch time lets go.” Mike said to Justin. “ They’re about to announce the Prom king and queen nominees.

I waited at my locker with a worried look waiting for Ash to show up so we could walk to Lunch together. Ash never showed up but Megan told me she went home sick. I walked to lunch all by myself. As soon as I walked into the cafeteria the principle over the loud speakers announced

“ Good afternoon everyone. I bet you’re all waiting to hear who this years nominees are for the Prom king and Queen. Well here they are. Patrick Newman and Lisa Simons, Kevin Chowske and Julia Morgan, and Finally last but not least...”

My heart dropped into the pit of my stomach as I heard who the last people were.

“ Justin Rogers and Sandy Allens. Thank you all for your nominations and I hope tomorrow you guys have a magical safe night.”

I stood frozen in the middle of the lunchroom starring at Justin with watery eyes. Sandy and her friends and Justin and his friends were all laughing at me.

“ Im sorry I should’ve told you sooner.” Justin came over and put his hands on my shoulder. “ Sandy and me were having a huge fight the night before I asked you so that say I wanted to show her how mad I was at her by asking you. Then we apologized and got back together.”

I didn’t even bother wasting time talking to him. My hand did all the talking right smack dab into his face. I left the cafeteria and cried in the girls bathroom.

It was the day of Prom and Ash and I were on the phone talking.

“ Are you sure you don’t want to go with me and Danny. He doesn’t mind and I don’t either. It won’t be the same without my best friend.” Ash felt horrible about it. But she was right, I did end up hurt.

“ No, you go and have a good time. Im just going to stay home and eat ice cream. Plus I promised I would babysit my little brother.” I sighed.

“ Okay but if you change you mind you know how to reach me.”

“ Okay, bye...Oh and have fun tonight.”

I hung up the phone and starred at my prom tickets while the last tears dripped down slowly rolling down my cheeks onto the blankets on my bed. Nobody was in the house, my parents were gone picking up my dress and shoes and my grandma and brothers were down at the rec playing on the playground.

I starred up at the white ceiling dazed at god knows what. My heart was throbbing from the heartbreak and my eyes were hurting from crying so much. Talking to people didn’t make me feel better and the chocolate ice cream was already gone. I scooped up the last drip of chocolate syrup and savored it.

I closed my eyes for a few minutes to relax my aching eyes. I felt a cool breeze floating through my room and then the sound of the music box I could hear.

“ Kayla, Kayla,” I could hear a young man’s voice calling from a distance.

I opened my eyes and there on my night stand was the little music box opened playing the music.

“ Kayla, Come inside.” The man’s voice whispered. I stood up near the mirror where the voice seemed to be coming from and saw the prince.

I closed my eyes and the music played loudly. The Prince took my hand and sat me down near him again in the courtyard next to the fountain and under the stars. He kissed me again with his warm lips and I wrapped my arms around him crying.

It left off in the same place since the last time I visited the place.

“ What’s wrong?” He lifted my head and wiped the tears from my eyes.

I held him tight and cried a little more, “ I just wish it would be this easy in life.”

I stopped to rub my eyes and blow my nose.

“ I wish I didn’t even ask him to the prom.” The prince kissed my forehead and took my hand in his.

“ Listen, don’t let a jerk like him bother you. I know you’ve liked him for six years but if he didn’t do anything for those six years then he isn’t worth it. I’ve only known you for a short time and I’m already crazy for you.”

“ You’re only saying that. Nobody would ever want to go with me. Im not beautiful like those popular girls.” I began to cry even more.

“ Don’t say that. You’re beautiful both on the outside and on the inside. The first time I looked into your eyes I melted. Your eyes, those baby blue eyes are so deep and mysterious. I want to be lost in them forever. And your lips are so sweet and soft, I want to kiss you every minute I see you. And your body next to mine makes me feel so comfortable. I like the warmth of us holding each other. Oh and most important of them all, your heart. The love and passion you dream of is so romantic and so caring. I don’t know how any guy could pass you up.”

He did get a smile out of me.

“ Look at that smile. Im only happy when I see a smile on your face.” He looked up at the stars and then looked at me holding my hands tight.

“ But this isn’t real. I wish it was though because I don’t think anyone has noticed me like you have. And honestly, I have never felt this way about anyone like I do when Im with you.”
I closed my eyes and felt his lips pressed up against mine.

“ It can be real. This is your imagination...this is your dream. Look up and wish upon the shooting star.”

I looked up at all the stars in the dark night sky and right above me and him were stars formed into the shape of a heart. Right in the middle of the heart was that shooting star. I closed my eyes and made my wish.

“ I wish the prince and all the magical feelings we share can come true. I want him to be real, I want us to be real.”

I opened my eyes and I was sitting on my bed. The little music box was opened still playing its music but next to it was a note.

I opened the note and read it aloud.

“ Meet me in the middle of the dance floor tonight at 10:30.And there all of your dreams will come true. Love, your Prince.”

I looked at the clock that read 4:30 pm. I didn’t have much time to get ready. Downstairs I heard the front door open with a greeting from my mom.

“ Kayla, I got your dress. I know you’re...” My mom tried to say.

“ Thanks. What are we waiting for I have a prom to go to.”

It was fun riding in a limo with my best friend Ash and her boyfriend. I was so nervous to see if everything was going to work out like it was planed. My hair was up curly in a bun with glitter, my dress baby blue with silver glitter sparkled, and I wore a Tiara to fit the Princess look. I felt beautiful and Ash said she wouldn’t take pictures with me because everyone would only notice me not her. I laughed.

The dance went really well. I danced with Ash and her friends, we had a lot of fun. They played a lot of hip hop music, which is best to dance to but I was a rock n’ roll queen at heart. The food was okay but I think the drinks were spiked, or at least my brothers because he seemed to act drunk. It was only the sugary pieces of cupcakes and cookies he ate before he showed up at prom.

It was 10:30, the time he said he would meet me. I was nervous and excited at the same time.

“ Ash I have to go.” Ash looked worried.

“ What is it that jerk thats bothering you?” She glared over at Justin with a dirty look.

“ No, Im kind of meeting somebody.” Here we go Ash was going to be very nosey.

“ Oh, who?” She had a small grin on her face.

“ Not now.” I made my way through the crowd and stood in the middle of the dance floor waiting for the prince to show up. It was a few minutes past the given time and I began to give up hope. I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned around quickly only to see Justin.

“ What do you want?” I gave my attitude to him.

“ Look, Im sorry okay. I was a jerk to lead you on like that. Im admitting it. Sandy and I broke up again, and I know you wont date me but would you at least dance with me?”

“ No.” said a man’s voice. I turned around and there he was my prince. His shaggy medium length hair, and his nice black suit match my dress perfectly. He took my hand and spun me around.

“ She’s my date and we’re going to dance.” A slow dance came on and he took me in his arms like we danced once before.

“ I can’t believe you’re real.” I put my head on his shoulder as we danced underneath the sparkling lights.

“ Maybe you’ll believe it if I do this.” Right in front of everyone he put his hands on my face and kissed me. There was so much passion behind that kiss everyone was speechless including me.

“ Dreams can come true, it isn’t just for little girls. Every girl has her prince charming. But not every girl finds them the way you did.”

He spun me around again and all night I was close to him in his arms. The look on Justin’ face made me feel great. Before the dance was over I went up to congratulate Sandy and Justin for winning Prom King and Queen.

“ Congratulations.” Sandy gave me the nastiest look ever.

“ Thanks.” They both walked away mad at me.

I sat down waiting to go back home. I looked up at the stars with the Prince who had his arms wrapped around me. I began to cry again.

“ It sucks.” I said to him.

“ Huh? What do you mean?”

“ We didn’t win Prom King and Queen.”

“ No,we won something better. Love.” He kissed me on top of my head and held me tight pressed up against his body.

Another shooting star magically appeared in the sky.

“ I want to spend the rest of my life with you.” He whispered softly into my ears.

“ Me too.”

Now I know I said I didn’t believe in fairy tales anymore but after that night I lived happily ever after.


The End
© Copyright 2006 Sweetie (littlelover231 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1140687-The-Little-Music-Box-2