*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141685-Ch2-Cats-Out-of-the-Bag
by Locky
Rated: 13+ · Serial · Fantasy · #1141685
Locky explores his powers a little and discovers that a friend already knows his secret

Have you read Episode 1 yet?
 Ch1 How It All Began  (E)
Introduction to the main characters and how Locky gets his special abilities.
#1139629 by Locky



Episode 2
The Cat's Out of the Bag{c}


If you didn’t believe me before, then you are definitely not going to believe me now.

I haven’t read anymore of the letter, but I have thought a lot since I read it last Saturday.

I have had a recurring nightmare too. It was about a strange creature that attacked us. I don’t know who was with me, I just know I wasn’t alone, and some strange gangly creature that looked similar to a starved dog, ran at us. Then I woke up. I have had that dream a few times now. It is really strange.

Anyway, back to what you won’t believe. I just tried out that fingerprint read thing that was mentioned in the letter. I had to make sure that the letter wasn’t some good joke. So I went for a fingerprint hunt. First I searched the top of my off white study desk seeing if I would just find something. I spent ten minutes searching for whatever I was supposed to find, but I didn't find anything. I started to feel defeated. I hated it when someone or something got the better of me.

I sat down on my bed and pulled the letter out from under my pillow and started to reread it. I didn’t notice anything helpful in what I had read almost a week ago, so I read further, hoping to read something about what I was supposed to do.

" Your first and most important power will be your ability to read fingerprints. To begin with, getting your new sense working will be hard and you may feel strange when it does work for the first time." Then it stopped.

"Great." I muttered, and then I went back to my desk. I looked at it for a minute and I sat down on my chair. Immediately I lent back to rock on it, and grabbed the underside edge of the desk. At that moment, scaring the crap out of me, I got an onslaught of thoughts. I let go of the desk and fell straight to the floor, hitting my head. The thoughts were not mine, well, not mine, as in they were days, or weeks old.

“It worked!” I whispered quietly to myself in amazement. But, to tell you the truth, I didn't know whether to be happy or damn afraid. After all, it meant that what the letter spoke of was true, and that meant my life, and someone else’s, was in danger.

I crawled back over to the desk and prepared myself for the rush of thoughts. I brushed my fingertips over the underside of the desk, and listened to my thoughts of the past.

"What the hell does this me..?"

"Forty seven plus thirty four."

"Oh jeeze! I still got..."

"Gee. Geography is so CRAP!"

Wait! I don't do geography! I ran my fingertips back to where I found that last thought.

"Gee. Geography is so CRAP! Nigel is pissing me off sooo much! I wish he would just piss off. I wish..."

Brodie! I thought with realization. That must have been Brodie from last year, when this was his room. That thought had been the first thought I had read of another persons. I sat, staring wide eyed into space.

Goosebumps began to run all over my body. I felt the need to tell somebody. But who? Jack would probably blab. He just couldn't help it. Lisa wouldn't understand, it just wouldn’t feel right.

Ahh... Maraya would understand. She doesn't talk much either, so she probably wouldn't blab. And she's good with secrets.

I walked up to the door and grabbed the cold metal handle.

"What the hell does he want?" my 'other' thought ran through my mind.

I let go of the handle and shivered.

Crap. That meant that I couldn't touch anything or I would get these thoughts.

So I pulled my sleeve down over my hand and opened the door. I walked out of my room, leaving my door open for easy entry later. I started walking down the corridor, but after passing only three doors, someone called my name. Jack had seen me and wanted some help with Applicable Maths. Naturally I walked in to help. After all, I loved maths, and why not, when you are really good at it?

STOP BOASTING!

Ok. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I walked into his room.

Jack was short, (especially by my taller standards) and of medium build. His sandy brown hair covered the tops of his ears and almost down to his blue-grey eyes.

I sat down on his bed, as I normally did, and I picked up his mini football. ‘Other’ thoughts rushed into my head.

"Maybe I should tell him..."

"But if I told him he would probably kill me."

"mmmm..."

"Baby got back..."

I threw the ball onto the ground in shock and stared at it.

"What's wrong with you?" Jack said with humoured sarcasm on his voice.

"What?” I asked, pulling my eyes away from the ball lying at Jack’s feet, “Oh, nothing. It just didn't like me, so it bit me. Then I threw it to the ground, and I was just making sure that it didn't try to bite me again. DAMN! That hurt." I replied, and shaking my hand vigorously. "So, what’s your problem?"

"Yeah." Jack thought for a second, "It's just this." He said as he pointed to a question about a Venn diagram. I stood up to get a look over his shoulder. I lent on his shoulder, and placed my left hand on his desk and got another rush of ‘other’ thoughts.

I pushed off of Jack's shoulder with my right hand, smashing his chest into the desk. I fell onto his bed, clutching my forehead. Jack clumsily stood up, winded, and followed me onto the bed.

This is so annoying. How the hell am I supposed to live with all these fingerprints?

When Jack had finally recovered, he punched me in the ribs.

"Sorry." I said sincerely.

"That hurt." Jack replied, "Are you alright? You've had a bad week, haven't you?"

"Bad week?" I mumbled, "Oh yeah. Bad week."

"Hey. Umm. You know that parched letter?" Jack said carefully.

"Mmm." I replied without thinking.

"Well." Jack swallowed, thinking carefully about how to phrase what he wanted to say. He kept his eyes on my hands. "When you were sick, I walked into your room and took your schoolbag and tie off, et cetera, so that you could sleep better." He paused.

"Yeah?" I urged, my heart skipping a beat, Jack was shaking visibly.

"Is what that parched letter says true?" His face showing obvious fear.

Goose bumps ran over me again.

"You read that?" I said, my face flushing white with fear.

"I... I found it on the bed when I took your bag off you, so I took it off your bed and put it on your desk. As I walked out of your room it caught my eye. So I picked it up. Then read it." Jack said in a rush.

I took a deep breath and lent against the wall with my eyes closed.

"So it's true then?" Jack asked, his eyes wide with fear, "Please don't hurt me," He pleaded, "You have some pretty dangerous powers there."

"What 'powers'?" Dean said as he walked into the room, kicking his own (well worn) mini football to himself.

I glared at Jack, who shrunk back a little. Then I turned to Dean and said with a fake chuckle:

"No powers. I was just pretending to have 'Jedi Powers' and Jack told me to prove it. I went to dodge the pen he threw at me. I failed and it hit me, so he just said 'you have some pretty awesome powers there.' Sarcastically of course."

"Oh." Dean said, then started kicking his football again.

I Thought for a second. I was actually quite happy that Jack found out without me telling him. I mean, it feels good that he knows. I just hope he doesn't tell anyone, but I think he is too afraid to do that. Finally I stood up to walk out of the room.

"By the way," I said to Jack, "It is all true. Therefore I will know..." I said to Jack, tapping my fingers to my head, "I will know." Then I walked out of the room.



Want to continue the story? Read Episode 3 now!
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1143478 by Not Available.

© Copyright 2006 Locky (myesp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1141685-Ch2-Cats-Out-of-the-Bag