*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142339-PLIP---PLOP
Rated: E · Short Story · Satire · #1142339
If a jobs worth doing its worth getting someone in to do it.

PLIP - PLOP

After months of continually running the hot water tap to stop the incessant trickle from the overflow it was finally over.This morning had been the morning, hell or high water (more probably the latter) Tony was determined it must end.

Armed with wrenches, spanners and a spare ballcock he set off up the stairs to confront the hot water tank. The tank was situated in the airing cupboard, the top a mere eight inches from the ceiling. To see inside the tank would have been easy, if you happened to be an eight foot contortionist. And so it became necessary to engage the services of a table lamp an extension and a mirror. Using these tradesman specialist tools he only had to balance on a piece of timber resting on the arms of an already rickety office chair and bobs your uncle. Unfortunately his uncle was Kieth and he had died several years earlier, which probably explained why everything was the wrong way round when he looked through the mirror. (Of course everyone knows that don't they.) And so he resorted to fumbling around in the dark whilst balancing suicidally on trembling insecure furniture.

Needless to say the mission was a complete success. Accomplished with the minimum of fuss, all in a days work really. And so turn the water on and see what happens. Everything seemed in order so it was time for a cup of tea and a sit in the garden.

Life was wonderful he thought as he lazed in the June sunshine. He felt quit pleased with himself. Why hadn't he done it months ago instead of continually putting it off. And so he relaxed in the glorious sunshine, a man at one with himself, intoxicated with the warm feeling of self satisfaction. He suddenly became aware of the beautiful smell of roses, blossoms, lavender and the hundred and one other flowers that surrounded him, the summer sounds of the birds singing, the steady hum of a distant lawn mower and a sudden plip plop, plip plop, plip plop.
© Copyright 2006 mafspeed (mafspeed at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1142339-PLIP---PLOP