*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143820-A-Secret-Revealing-Journey
by Casey
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1143820
The priest and Thron try to survive the journey to Hirindor.
"What was that?" asked the priest.
"A deer. Don't worry." said Thron.
"Well it's hard not to worry after seeing people eaten alive!"
"I know, but being on edge about it won't help matters."
"You're right, I'll pray that God will help me."
"Pray hard, then, and hope that your god will help you."
His wound from his sword still pained him. They had been travelling since the attack the day before with no sleep. They had no idea what happened to the creatures.
"How far is it to the next town?" asked the priest.
"Not much. A few hours, at most."
"Good."
Thron suddenly turned around. He heard something. First he heard it. Then he saw them. "Run!"
He turned back around just in time to see one of them rip the priest's head off without effort. He drew his sword, taking the beast's hand off as it reached for his throat in the proccess.
As the thing withdrew his handless arm, Thron whipped the horse's reins, making it sprint forward. He never looked back, never stopped. Nightfall came, and he grew drowsy, but he never stopped riding.
Finally, he saw the flicker of a torch ahead. He rode faster, his energy renewed at the hope of this being the gates of Hirindor.
As he approached, he could make out the form of a guard holding the torch. He yelled to something below him, and the gates opened just enough for him and his horse to pass through.
"What are you doing out here in the middle of the night?" asked an approaching guard.
"I was fleeing these creatures..."
"Come this way."
The guard led him to an inn. There the guard told him to go to the chapel in the morning. Thron went inside the inn and rented a room for the night. The guard had gave him some gold to do so.

In the morning, Thron went to the chapel. The priest immediately greeted him at the doors. He took him inside to the priest's office. There Thron told him of everything. The priest seemed to never blink or move. He just seemed to stare inside Thron's eyes, absorbing every word that came out of Thron's mouth.
When Thron was finished, he priest stood up. "Follow me," he said.
He led Thron to what looked like a library. He went down a row of old-looking parchments. He stooped over to pick up a scroll and took it over to a long table. He unraveled the scroll and began to read to Thron.
He read of the beasts that Thron had been running from. The scroll told of them once being a plague, long ago, spreading across the lands, feeding off humans and demolishing everything in their path.
It also said that they were all controlled by only one beast. It put their minds in a trance, a bloodthirsty trance, influencing them that their only purpose was to wipe out the pathetic race known as human, allowing the Ones to take their place as the dominant race.
"The only way to stop them is to destroy the Great Beast, then," said Thron.
"Yes, and God has told me that one of the men that do this will be you."
"But I'm no real warrior, just a farmer's son! I can't fight like a Knight!"
"God has chosen, and that is all I will say. Leave now. I must pray for your victory."

Thron trudged back to the inn, furious at the priest for forcing this upon him. There he stayed until a messenger came from a nearby city. He told everyone about raids on a homestead not far from their city. He came to recruit any available warriors. Thron immediately volunteered, only realizing what he did after he did it. Next thing he knew, he was riding his horse with sixteen other men towards the other city, called Corisce. Then he knew that he was chosen for this soon-to-be war.

© Copyright 2006 Casey (kc_117 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143820-A-Secret-Revealing-Journey