*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143988-The-day-on-Idiot-Ridge
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Teen · #1143988
Contest entry.
679 words - Written for "A Picture Is Worth A 1000 Words" Contest, in response to a picture called 'Three Friends Resting on a Road Trip.'

         ”Marty’s never going to show up,” grouched Dave as he watched the horizon. “He said he would meet us on Idiot Ridge at three on the dot, and now it’s four.”

         ”Grouch grouch grouch.” Joe always had a snappy comeback.

         I couldn’t see why we had to make such a big deal out of watching every which way for Marty. He’d show up when he showed up, and meanwhile, why not just enjoy the day? We had a cooler of beer in the trunk, but would Dave let us touch it? No, we had to wait until we got to the picnic.

         ”Can we trade which way we have to look? The sun is in my eyes.” I should have brought some shades, but my sister’s stupid dog, Doodle, had chewed mine up and I forgot to buy any more.

         ”Just keep looking, that’s all you have to do. No telling which way that crazy dude will come from.” I was about to get sick of Dave ordering us around. He wasn’t even the oldest. His daddy owned the bank, though, and Dave was used to giving orders to all his servants. He just hung out with us to aggravate his dad because we wore leather jackets and had greasy hair. In 1955, this was a disowning offense for a banker’s son.

         ”What’s up with Marty and Jane anyway?” Joe could be as nosy as a girl.

         ”What do you mean, what’s up with them? Nothing is up with them, Jane’s my girl.” Uh-huh. That’s just what Dave thought. Jane told me one day she couldn’t decide between Dave being rich and Marty being good to her. Joe had evidently had enough of Dave ordering him around and decided to start something. Good thing we were in Joe's car. It was a long walk to anywhere.

         ”Oh well, if that’s what you think, never mind.” Joe had a nasty smirk on his face that even I wanted to knock off.

         Dave came around to Joe’s side of the car and got right up in his face. “It’s too late for never mind, now that you have decided to start some mess with me.”

         Joe grinned right in Dave’s murderous glare. “Does this mean we’re through watching? You left your side of the car.”

         Dave balled his fists up but didn’t swing. “What about Marty and Jane?”

         ”That’s what I was asking you. What about them?”

         ”Why are you asking? There’s some reason you said that and I want to know it!” Dave grabbed Joe’s arm and a desperate look stole over his face. Oh my, I didn’t know it was like that. I figured Jane was just another girl to him, but I had never seen him get this agitated over any of them. Joe must have thought the same thing.

         ”Nothing, man, I was just trying to get a reaction out of you and make you forget about this stupid thing of watching so hard for Marty. Let’s just get a beer and sit down and wait.” Joe was talking fast, trying to get Dave calmed down.

         ”Don’t mess with me, man.” Dave went back to his watch, looking dejected. He didn’t even say anything when Joe got a beer out of the trunk and handed it to him.

         ”Maybe I should have asked what’s up with you and Jane. I never saw you this worked up over a broad.” Me either, but Joe was the only one brave enough to say so.

         ”She’s not a broad, she’s my girl.” About that time, Marty’s car came over the hill, and before anybody could say a word, Dave got into his seat and slammed the door.

         Joe looked over at me and shrugged his shoulders. We got in and Joe started the car. We followed Marty on to the picnic.

         A couple of months later Jane had to go visit her granny - right in the middle of the school term. We went to see her off at the train station. All I could think about was that day on Idiot Ridge, when Joe thought he was doing nothing more than getting a rise out of Dave.


© Copyright 2006 Mrs. Whatsit (mrswhatsit at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1143988-The-day-on-Idiot-Ridge