*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145958-The-Little-Turkey
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1145958
A little turkey runs away from home, but soon learns he was already happy.
History: This story was initially written as an instrument activity, with different instruments for the characters. The children played their instrument when they heard their character name. We used ridged rhythm sticks for the turkey, a hand drum for the pumpkin, maracas for the scarecrow, and bells for the mouse.


Once upon a time, there was a little turkey who lived on a farm. One day he told his farm friends, “I am not happy here. Our house is not fancy enough, my bed is not big enough, and the food the farmer brings is never yummy enough. I’m going to find a new, better home.” So he started walking.
As the little turkey was walking down the road, he saw a little pumpkin shivering on the side of the road. “Little pumpkin,” he asked. “Why are you shivering?” “The ground is cold and wet,” said the pumpkin. “And I don’t have anywhere warm and dry to go.” The turkey thought, “My house was warm and dry, but it was not fancy enough,” so he kept walking.
Next, the little turkey saw a tired-looking scarecrow. “Mr. Scarecrow,” he asked. “Why do you look so tired?” “I don’t have a soft, cozy bed to lie down in,” said the scarecrow. “So I must keep standing.” The turkey thought, “My bed was soft and cozy, but it was not big enough,” so he kept walking.
Then the little turkey saw the little mouse crying at the edge of the road. “Little mouse,” he asked. “Why are you crying?” “I’m hungry,” said the little mouse. “But when I find food, a bigger animal comes and takes it away from me.” The turkey thought, “The farmer always brought plenty of food for everyone, but it was not yummy enough.” So he kept walking.
But then he stopped. The turkey thought, “Wait a minute. The little pumpkin was cold and wet, and my house was warm and dry. The scarecrow had no place to lie down and sleep, and my bed was soft and cozy. And the little mouse was hungry, and I always had enough food. Maybe my home wasn’t so bad after all. Hey! I’ve got a great idea!” And the turkey turned around and started running.
He found the little mouse and said, “I know of a place where you can find plenty of food. Follow me!” So the mouse followed him, and they kept running. Then he found the scarecrow and said, “I know of a place where you can have a soft cozy bed. Follow me!” So the scarecrow followed him, and they kept running. Then he found the little pumpkin and said, “I know of a place where you can be warm and dry. Follow me!” So the little pumpkin rolled along with them as they kept running. The turkey led them back to his farm and said to his friends, “These guys don’t have all the stuff we have. Can we share with them?” Everyone thought this was a fabulous idea, so they shared.
Now the little pumpkin is warm and dry, and he is glad. The scarecrow has a soft, cozy bed to sleep in, and he is glad. The little mouse can eat all he wants, and he is glad. And the little turkey learned he was really very lucky to have such a good home, and he was glad. And they all lived together happily ever after.
© Copyright 2006 Renee Dione (zionec at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1145958-The-Little-Turkey