*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146320-Union
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · War · #1146320
A man enlists in the army against his wife's wishes
Written for the: "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Prompt: Write a romance story; have one (or both) characters in the military.
______________________

"Once let the black man get upon his person the brass letters, U.S., let him get an eagle on his button, and a musket on his shoulder and bullets in his pockets, and there is no power on earth which can deny that he has earned the right to citizenship in the United States." - - Frederick Douglass

*Heart*~*Heart*~*Heart*


         She was used to suffering; had tasted the bitter milk of freedom and still struggled to get the aftertaste off her tongue. In the dim light of the lone lantern, she sat as still as a statue, little Lizzy fast asleep on the corn shuck bed in the corner. Her tears had longed dried, her fingernails still stinging from clawing his back earlier.

         “You’se goin to die Jeffery!” she’d yelled, beating his chest and clinging to him at the same time. Lizzy’s frantic wails had joined the cacophony, not understanding why Ma and Da were fighting.

         “I gotta do this, Mary,” came his reply, eyes flashing with determination and a plea for understanding.

         “Why?! We doan need to fight no more. Wiz bin fightin for so long, Jeffery. I juss wanna live safe and sound up here with Lizzy.”

         But he hadn’t listened, leaving the house with the others to enlist in the Union Army. Perhaps she was being too selfish. Knowing that her freedom had come at a painful price, was it fair for her to prevent him from helping their brethren down South?

         The door opened slowly and she rose to her feet, eyes filling with tears again as she watched her man - her brave, handsome husband walk in with a small smile.

         “I joined,” he mumbled, holding up the small declaration. “A member of de first Kansas Colored Volunteers. We gats our uniform today…gonna head on out to Missouri tomorrow.”

         She watched him place a kiss on their daughter’s head before being engulfed within his arms. Together they stood in silence, allowing the steady beats of their hearts to say all that words couldn’t. Come morning, he would be gone – and she’d be left with nothing but his memories and a love that would never die.


Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2006 iKïyå§ama-House Targaryen (satet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146320-Union