*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146437-SADDLE-SOARS
Rated: E · Chapter · Biographical · #1146437
This is an introduction to my experiences a bicylist.
Saddle Soars
Introduction

This is an attempt to chronicle my experiences, thoughts and memories as a bicyclist. I have been riding since 1986 which at this writing is seventeen years in the saddle. Like all good relationships it hardly seems more than a couple of years. I am a road bicyclist or “roadie” although I did do a little off-road riding about twelve years ago. I live in Oklahoma City whose population is largely undecided about people in skin-tight clothing riding farther than a block or two.

I am forty three years old and have been married for twenty three years. My wife and I have two children; both are girls, and a dog. I am a “blue collar” worker so in case some of you are thinking that you can’t afford to buy a quality bike, think again. My oldest daughter, Amanda, is 19 years old. She is also handicapped both physically and mentally. My youngest is 15 with no real challenges. Her name is Alysse (a-lease). If you think your life is too complicated to ride any real distance, think again.

I was never athletic before ’86. I had joined health clubs but joining and actually going are two different things. In high school I tried wrestling but I failed miserably. It seemed that I was lacking in physical strength and lost every match within the first thirty seconds. I couldn’t run fast or far nor was I coordinated enough to play ball sports. The only talent I could lay claim to was art and artistic ability does not require athletic ability. I had no reason to try cycling other than when I was a kid I got a kick out of riding my bike. It had been more than just juvenile transportation, it was fun. Before ’86 I was about 40 pounds overweight and weak. And if you think you are too fat or weak to ride a bike any real distance, think again.

The point of all this is that if you want to do something fun, ride a bike. If you want to have one adventure after another, ride a bike. If you want to do something that leaves you feeling exhilarated instead of frustrated, ride a bike. And if doing something that gives strength instead of taking it is appealing to you, then, by all means ride a bike. On a bike you will see your town, neighborhood, countryside and fellow man in a better light. On a bike you get to know yourself and others better. It is the most efficient form of transportation ever invented. And you can ride from now on. I know cyclist that are well over 70 and still going. So come on let’s go for a ride. We will converse as we go and before you know it we will have gone to the very edge of the Earth and lived to tell the tale.
Fred Holland 4/29/2003
© Copyright 2006 Froedrik (fholland at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146437-SADDLE-SOARS