*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146484-Happy-Ever-After
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1146484
Two lovers go out on a midnight joy ride that ends in a horrific incident.
My heart raced as I popped the screen out of my narrow window. Silently, I slipped out into the cool night air. I fixed my hair and straightened my dark black blouse. Then I popped the screen back into place and tried to shut the window ever so quietly. It came down with a small thud. My heart pounded in my ears and I listened intently for a sound within my house. It was dead silent.

I was sure the bright full moon was trying to give away where I was as I moved through the shadows to the front of my house. I rubbed my hands together, they were sweaty. What if I got caught? I couldnt bear to hear another one of my dads long speaches about self-respect and priority. If he caught me sneaking out...

I shook the thought from my head and ran my fingers back through my silky blonde hair that draped my shoulders like a shawl. My slim curvy shadow could be seen streached across the lawn. I shifted out of sight of the moonlight. Keeping sure to stay in the shadows, I made my way through the yard to the side of the dark road. It was deserted all except for one car parked a little ways down the street. Its light were off and I could just makeout the outline. My foot steps quickened as I neared it. Now that I was out of sight of my house and my father I didnt bother staying in the shadows.

The door to the car was thrown open from the inside once I was almost there. I slipped inside onto the cool leather seat and looked at my rescuer.

Avery was a tall well-built boy with soft curly brown hair that framed his handsome face. I looked into his grass-green eyes and his love spilled into my dark brown ones. I smiled at him and he leaned over close and kissed me passionatly.

"I missed you," I said when we finally pulled apart.

"I missed you too," he muttered. He planted a soft kiss on my forehead and I moved across the seat so I could sit closer to him. He put his arms around me and I snuggled into his warm loving embrace. Then with a soft click the lights of the car turned on and he shifted onto the deserted dirt road.

For a while we didnt talk, only sensed eachothers presance and soft touch. I hated having to see him behind my fathers back but even though I was fifteen he refused to let me have a boyfriend. During the school year I attended an all girls boarding school. I hardly ever got to see Avery during those horrid months and in the summer the only time I could really see him, just us, was on nights like this.

The car turned onto a hidden long winding dirt road that lead back into the depths of the dark woods. It crept along noisily and my heart raced as an owl swooped down and then dissapeared from site. I watched as a pack of wild dogs stared wide eyed at us off the edge of the road. They bent their heads low and then dissapeared into the bushes.

The car came to a stop in a small grass-covered clearing. Moonlight seeped through the tree branches and a few deer ran from the clearing. Avery kissed the top of my head and I sat up. He reached down onto the floor and picked up a soft black blanket. He laid it out in the lush grass underneath the dark sky with the millions of twinkling stars. I slipped out and into his awaiting arms. We kissed passionatly again and he layed me down on the blanket.

He kissed me as he unbottoned my blouse. I reached down and undid his pants and moved them so they were around his knees. He kissed me on the lips and moved down to my neck and chest. I pressed myself against him tenderly as he reached back to unsnap my bra...

I felt Avery lift off of me and when I opened my eyes I saw him being pulled backwards into the hostile night.

I sat up and looked wildly around. My first thoughts were some sort of animal. When I looked I cried out. My father stood there, red-faced and eyes bloodshot. His mangled grey-black hair stood on end. I saw his chest heave in and out, in and out. I cried out and his eyes swirled around to look at me.

"What in the hell are you doing?" he screamed at me, spit flew from his quivvering lips.

"Dad, I-"

"You ran off with some low life, low down, dirt bag scum thats what you did!" He roared. I saw Avery try to back up away from my rampaging father. He noticed Avery's retreat and grabbed him by the hair and pulled him forward. He began punching him wildly in the face. Blood spewed out of his now disfigured nose.

"Dad!" I screamed. I ran forward and tried to pull him off. My father didnt acknowledge me as he continued to hit Avery until he fell to the ground face first. He laid there still, lifeless. That wasnt good enough for my father though. He continued to kick at Avery's ribs furiousl. Finally Avery let out another moan and I saw a puddle of blood had formed on the ground. My father stopped and looked down.

I knelt down next to Avery and turned him onto his back. His face was pale and lifeless, eyes cold. Blood still flowed from his nose and trickled from his mouth. Tears spilled from my burning eyes. I kissed him softly on the lips and some of his blood rubbed off on me. I swallowed it back, turned to my father and screamed an ear-splitting cry. I hit him furiously, helplessly over and over again. Anywhere I could reach I hit but grief had made me weak. I could no more leave a mark than bring Avery back.

My father turned, then struck me across the face so I fell to the ground ontop of Avery. I didnt want to get up. I wanted to stay there on the ground. My father pulled me up by my hair furiously then punched me across the face over and over again still holding me by my hair so I couldnt fall to the ground. I didnt try to get away. I allowed myself to be hit until he finally let go and I sank to the ground like a dead weight.

I could feel blood oozing down the front of my face but I didnt try to get away. My father kicked me over and over again just as he had to Avery. The blows came harder and harder. Pain rushed through my ribs and I began to cough violently. Blood spilled from my mouth. The sounds of my fathers words began to fade from my head, the sight of his face passed into a memory and Averys face stood before me once again alive.

He took my hand and together we walked across a golden bridge.

Now, at least, I could be with Avery, now we could live happily ever after.
© Copyright 2006 SweptAway (sweptaway at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146484-Happy-Ever-After