*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146540-A-grave-mistake
Rated: E · Sample · Action/Adventure · #1146540
i wrote this story for a short story competition and would love to what you think of it.
A manky, caramel brown ship was tied to the port of San Salvador. Hooded men lowered barrels onto the surface of the port.
"Careful with that!" a tall, hooded figure spat at one of the hooded men who had stumbled.
"Sorry, sir" he replied, bowing low.
The first man nodded as he lifted his hood to let the warm El Salvador wind onto his face. The man was more a teenager, he looked about fifteen with longish dark brown hair that was jaggerd as though he had hacked at it with scissors. His blackish grey eyes narrowed as he watched the men lower the goods. Each barrel had 'DANGEROUS' written in blood red on them.
A man jumped down from the ship and nearly fell into one of the barrels. The teenager spun around,
"Idiot!" he hissed
"Oh please, Kerosene." the man said, standing next to his advisor and fumbling with the cigar he had nearly dropped. "I didn't damage anything."
Kerosene looked at the man "I don't care Ashen" he snarled watching the second lighting his cigar "It's just, we were told to deliver and go."
Ashen nodded "I know" he replied "but a lot of good this is. What do the Salvadorans want with the gunpowder?"
"They have their reasons"
Ashen wasn't convinced. He studied the teen. He got the feeling that Kerosene wasn't telling the truth. It was to simple. 'Deliver and go?' more like deliver and die, they were in El Salvador not New Zealand.

Kerosene sighed and wandered towards the edge of the dock, he hated it here. This was where both his parents, Maria and Jordyn Fletcher, were born. Just like himself. He stared out into the Pacific Ocean. Mum and Dad he thought, his heart gave a jump.
His parents had died here, they were diving for treasure in the lost ship a few metre's away, every pirates dream. Except it ended badly, a great white had inhabited the ruined ship. Kerosene was only seven.
Scowling, he walked back to the ship. The barrals had all been unloaded and the men were back on the ship or so he hoped.

Ashen shook his head, he couldn't understand a word the man in front of him was saying. He looked over at Kerosene who was standing on the dock close to the sea. Ashen sighed, how could I forget? he asked himself silently, this is where the accident happened.
"Oww!" Ashen yelped, staring at the spanish man who was lowering a stick.
"What did you do that for?" he asked annoyed, clutching his side.
The salvadoren looked amused.
Kerosene muttered a few words in Spanish to the man, who nodded.
Spinning around suddenly, Kerosene grabbed ashen by the scruff of his neck. Ashen dropped his cigar into one of the barrels loaded with gunpowder.
"Oi!" he yelled "Those cigars cost a fortune!"
Kerosene shrugged and jumped onto the ship, following suit, Ashen glanced at the Spanish man who had disappeared
"Hey! Where did he g-?"
A loud bang followed by a series of even louder cracks filled the air.
The Salvadoren teen flinched,
"He killed my parents," Kerosene muttered, "It's his fault they're dead."
Ashen looked at him "So you killed him?" he asked, bracing himself for the answer.
"No," Kerosene replied, "but I might."
"Where did he go then?" Ashen wondered
Kerosene pointed to a lone figure standing away from the barrels
"There."
Ashen nodded and started yelling orders, as the ship moved forward Kerosene looked toward the Spanish man,
"I will be back Miguel Sanchez," he sneered in spanish, "just you wait."
© Copyright 2006 amber15 (sweetascandy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146540-A-grave-mistake