*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146805-LULLABY-FROGGY
by perlas
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1146805
Froggy finds it hard to go to take naps until he hears a woman sing a lullaby to him.
LULLABY FROGGY


         “But why do I have to take a nap when I’m not sleepy, Mama?" asks Froggy.

         “Because you need a lot of sleep so you grow up strong and smart.”

         “But you said yourself, I’m already very strong and smart.”

         “Do not argue, son. Just go to sleep!”

         Pouting, Froggy hops to bed. But as soon as his Mama leaves, he tiptoes out of the house.

         Soon, he’s wandering through the woods. There are lots of different sounds in the forest. Some are scary, but exciting and fun at the same time.

         Suddenly, Froggy hears people's voices and he is frightened. He knows that he has wandered too far away from home. He decides to go back. But then, a big hand grabs him.

          “Look, honey, a little frog! Here, hold it.”

         "He's so cute, dear," Honey says. Froggy thinks her voice is so sweet, and her hands are much softer than Dear's hands.

         Honey turns Froggy over onto his back, holding him firmly. I’m dead, he says to himself. Shaking with fright, he tries to escape but Honey won't let him.

         Suddenly, he feels Honey’s finger stroke his belly in a very gentle way. It tickles him, but tries not to giggle. Ooohh, but it feels so nice. He relaxes.

         “Look, dear, he’s enjoying it now.”

         “Yes. And look at his eyes ...they’re just a tiny slit. I bet he feels like he’s in heaven.”

         Hearing the word heaven, Froggy struggles again to escape but fails. Have I died? he wonders. Is this heaven? He thinks it’s strange that the more he enjoys the stroking, the more his belly seems to bloat.

         That’s it! They rub our bellies until they get too big and they pop! He shudders at the thought of his belly exploding. God frog in Heaven! What a horrible way to die!

         But then, Honey starts humming softly and sweetly. It sounds strange to him but in a wonderful kind of way.

         Lullaby ... and goodnight. Go to bed now and sleep tight. Lay thee down now to rest, May thy slumbers be blessed.

         Froggy cannot understand what he is feeling. He has never felt anything as soothing and calming before. And just like that, he falls asleep.

         When Froggy wakes, Dear and Honey are gone. Am I still in heaven? he wonders. But everything seems to be the same. He looks down at his belly and finds it hasn’t exploded. I’m still alive! he screams happily and hops on home..

         Froggy feels much safer now knowing that people are not really bad.

         Since then, Froggy doesn't miss his important naps anymore. He smiles as he drifts into sleep, while hearing Honey's Lullaby song in his head.

         Lullaby ... and goodnight. Go to bed now and sleep tight.
© Copyright 2006 perlas (pearlbnt at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1146805-LULLABY-FROGGY