*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1147226-Witch-hunt
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1147226
A search for answers in Mexico
We trudged dow the dirt road in the jeep arguing about whether El Chupacabra was an alien, or just a Lovecraft-esque mutation. I was stuck on the alien side, trying to prove that El Chupacabra was some kind of extraterrestrial creature. This was especially hard for me because alien Chupacabra was just such a ridiculous concept to me. Aliens should flay around in saucers, blasting stuff with death rays.
We had come all the way to Mexico on a whim when the chance arose. A friend of ours was going down to Mexico to visit his family, and we offered to to drive him so he didn't have to take the bus. Once we dropped him off, we set off on our two man expedition to search for the infamous Mexican goat eating lizard.
As our argument degenerated into petty name calling, I slammed on the breaks as a Stray dog dashed in front of the jeep. "That was a weird looking dog," I said as i squinted at the bushes where it had disapeared. "Yeah," Gavin replied as we both reached for flashlights and the jeep door handles. I pulled the video camera out of its bag as we climbed out of jeep, and we advanced towards the bushes where the dog disapeared. Before I even got the camera on, the strange dog leapt from the bushes straight at me, driving me to the ground, where I struck my head on a roadside rock, and everything turned black.
I woke up in a Mexican emergency room, being treated for dog bites and a concussion. The doctor told me that I was very lucky that my friend had been trained in first aid, because the stray dog that attacked me had torn a vein in my neck, and i had almost died.
The return trip was quiet and sullen,and we didn't say anything about the dog the we had encountered. When we got home to Asheville, Gavin told me that he didn't really get a good look at the dog that attacked me, because it had dashed back into the brush as fast as it had leapt out. We both agreed that it had been a really strange looking dog, and left it at that.
Sometimes, when i think about the way its eyes gleamed in the headlights, I wonder if it really was a dog at all. Maybe i found what i was looking for after all.
© Copyright 2006 JadedZealot (jadedzealot at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1147226-Witch-hunt