*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1147726-Not-So-Psychic-After-All
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #1147726
Paybacks often hurt more than the deed? ~ for Daily Flash Fiction Challenge
Not so psychic after all


Jebediah Johnson, JJ to his friends, sat waiting for the show to begin. This was his final payoff and he wanted it to be over with. He dabbed his sweating forehead carefully with a tissue, careful not to wipe the makeup disguising his easily recognizable face. He had never made a payoff in such a public place. Was the reporter trying to back out of his deal to not reveal the hidden microphones giving him his apparent psychic connection to the heavens?

Oh, good, here he comes. JJ watched the reporter’s approach, followed by a cameraman. He started up, but it was too late.

“Well, folks, look who’s here to contribute to the Foundation for the Prevention of Cruelty to Aging Circus Animals, the Reverend Jebediah Jones. Not only will he bless our efforts, but I’m told he has an offering to put forth as well.”

“But, but, I’m not…”

“Look at the man, so simple and plain, never thinking of himself,” he continued, his voice booming over loudspeakers, the two of them now spotlighted on reflecting videoscreens. “He carries a plain case, with but his initials, but look at the not so plain offering.”

He grabbed the briefcase and opened it, spreading it wide to allow the camera to focus on the neatly stacked rows of bills.

“Why, there must be thousands of dollars here! Thank you on behalf of these wonderful animals." At the reporter’s nod, a trained monkey sets a bowl of pasta on the table in front of JJ, to the applause and laughter of the gathering.

“I’m certain, folks, that the psychic Reverend here will be a regular contributor to this cause. Let’s pause for his blessing on this animal friendly repast.”

JJ bows his head, realizing he was now the reporter’s trained monkey.

***
word count 300 - for Daily Flash Fiction
Prompt ~ a briefcase with initials JJ, a monkey, a bowl of pasta

© Copyright 2006 Kate - Writing & Reading (manga_kate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1147726-Not-So-Psychic-After-All