*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149797-Night-Life
by nyz
Rated: E · Other · Spiritual · #1149797
It is very different and I think that's what I love about it. Would love any feedback!
Open the door to your home, a comfortable place from the sometimes fast moving realities of life. The walls of this house have fluctuated and changed with you. Sometimes they seem like a tall fortress, that keeps you from escaping to the far away reaches of life you wish you could explore. At other times they become like cushions, providing a safe place for you to rest your head when days become difficult and you do not want to face the world. There is something different about this space though, you know it is your sanctuary and yet it appears to be completely altered.

Someone's footsteps begin approaching, the soft melodic tap of this strangers feet increase speed and sound, until they are transformed into an intense pounding that is so loud it can only be matched by the escalating thump of your heart beat. Something is approaching quickly. Panic and run as fast as you can, out the door of your once familiar house and onto the pavement of a street where you have never been before. Your breathe becomes hard and fast as you try to escape the thumping noise that begins to overpower all others. It is getting closer, you push your legs harder to carry you forward but they won't move anymore. You fall onto the ground. Silence now. The persons footsteps have disappeared, it is just you on the concrete, so steady yourself and stand up.

A recognisable building is located just down the road, you have been here before, but cannot recall whos it is. There is a group of people in the front yard. As you get closer you notice that they are your friends, people that at one stage in your life have been close to you and known your every intimate detail. You greet the crowd, and smile as they greet you, amazed at some of the long lost faces that are appearing from different stages of your life. You decide to get comfortable and sit on the deck chair located by the crimson fire. Watch the flames lick the sky as they warm the once cold air that surrounds the tall green trees.

A well- known face approaches you, she is holding a small baby in her arms. You don't remember your best friend having a son, but attempt to congratulate her on the new arrival. The words don't leave your mouth, your body will not allow you to say them. Lines take over her face as she frowns at you with anger, but you cannot speak to explain yourself. Disturbed by feelings of horror the atmosphere changes, something is different, something is wrong. Looking around you realise that everyone is now staring at you, their faces are morphing themselves and evolving into pure hatred. You must leave---now.

Move quickly through the thick dark forest behind the house, you watch the thin green vines clutch at your feet trying to pull you downwards but you continue, not sure where you will end up. Just as the trees attempt to seize your whole body you spot a clearing. Push through and jump, land on the soft grass. Your dad has been waiting here for you. He stands with his legs shoulder length apart. Study the contours of his face, he looks nothing like the person you grew up with, but you know it is him, you don't even have to question it.

Your dads warm eyes glance into yours but only for a second, his sight is shifting to your mouth. His once small pupils become large and black with terror. It's your teeth, they are slowly falling out one by one. This doesn't make sense, cup your hands and try to catch the parts of you that are coming apart. You touch your lips and feel your gums as the horror on your fathers face punctures holes in your soul. Cry now. Cry for help, cry out from your empty mouth so that someone will save you. Your eyes flow deep with water and your features drown in tears, you can only moan.

So you run, you run away from this place, you run away from its people and you run away from all of these deep fears that are eating at your mind and body. Your legs can't catch up, they entangle each other and you trip now into a deep black hole, one that shows no end. Falling downwards, shaking and unable to save yourself, feelings of helplessness and dread grip at every inch of being that makes you who you are. Scream for help if you want, but receive only a whisper, your breath has no place in this world. This is it, the end! Take one more gasp for the air that grants you life and wake up. You were only dreaming.
© Copyright 2006 nyz (ngaire at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149797-Night-Life