*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149885-Jim--His-Dog-Ralph
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #1149885
Hero short story about an elderly man & his companion dog
Background...
I wrote a short story for a college assignment that involved a man and his dog.
(I up-dated it later, due to gramatical errors)
Enjoy!



Jim & His Dog Ralph
(Original short story by new_writer26)


There was an elderly man named Jim. Jim was a very quiet man with a sunny disposition. Jim was married to his wife Susan for 15 blissful years. Susan was very out-going and also had a sunny dispostion. Over the years, they had shared many warm memories together. When Susan was 45, she went to see her doctor because some chest pain. Her doctor diagnosed her with heart disease. When she turned 65, she passed away. Jim was devastated but his soft, cuddley black Lab "Ralph" was still alive.



Jim took Ralph out for walks. Whenever they went out, Jim had long talks with Ralph. He was very lonely after his wife died; Ralph was the only close companian he had. Some days Jim walked his dog around the block and other days the park. He talked softly to his dog as they strolled through the park. Ralph enjoyed hearing his owner's voice; he wagged his tail happily in return. Nothing made the old man happier than Ralph.

Ralph also liked chasing the birds in the park. Jim smiled and sometimes laughed while the dog chased the birds. A bond was formed between Jim and Ralph that could not be broken.

December 21 was one day that changed both their lives forever.



Jim was sound asleep when Ralph jumped into Jim's bed; he knew he had to take his dog for a walk. Jim looked out his bedroom window and noticed the trees were covered with fresh snow from yesterday's blizzard. First he looked at the temperature on the thermometer outside his window; it read "26 degrees". He zipped up his down-filled, long winter coat and crawled into his closet. He grabbed his wool gloves and then put the lease on Ralph. As soon as Jim opened the door, a gust of wind nearly knocked him off his feet and onto the icy ground below. He put the hood on his head and hobbled down the driveway.


They strolled past past several Cape Cod and ranch styles houses in their block which were decorated for Christmas. Jim stopped at one house and looked at the manger scene scene in the front yard.
He pointed to the house and told his dog, "That reminds me of Susan. She always put up the manger."

Then they continued on their walk and reached the corner store, Tom's Mini-Mart.
He looked down and cursed because the sidewalks were still snow and ice covered.
Jim, all of a sudden, felt very light-headed. He fell and slipped on the ice beneath him.

Ralph barked but people went on their own way, ignoring the dog. Ralph walked past the store and this time, urgently barked. Again, many people just walked past him. However, one man stopped and he led the man to Jim. The man knelt down to get a look at Jim and saw that he remained motionless. It was then that the man called for an ambulance on his cell phone.



One soon arrived and they carried Jim away on a stretcher. He stayed at the hospital for one day.
"You had a mild heart attack so please eat healthier. I want you to include more fruits and vegetables in your diet. Here are some recipes for you to try. I'm sure you don't want to go through this again. Take care Jim," his doctor told him.



The next day, Jim was give a clean bill of health and was discharged. Jim's cousin picked him up and took him home.

"Do you get the Boston Times delivered Jim?" she asked. Jim simply nodded.

"Check out page three when you get home," she instructed him. "I think you will find something interesting written on that page."



When Jim arrived home, he picked up the paper on his porch and brought it inside. He turned to page three and read:
"On December 21, at noon, an elderly man named Jim slipped on the ice in front of Tom's Mini-Mart. His dog barked and an anonymous passerby saw him. The dog walked to Jim and the passerby called 9-1-1. Jim is now doing fine, recovering at home. Jim should thank his dog for saving his life; he was the real hero in the situation."

Jim set the paper on his table and looked down at Ralph.

"Ralph, old friend, you saved my life. I'll give you a doggie treat for that", Jim said and gave him one.



After that experience, Jim and Ralph were even closer than ever. *Heart*

The End
© Copyright 2006 new_writer26 (nice_woman26 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149885-Jim--His-Dog-Ralph