*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149911-The-secret-of-real-happiness
by kitty
Rated: E · Non-fiction · Experience · #1149911
How my parents realized true happiness in life.
I grew up in the 50's, when elvis was king, summer vacation was hot, long and filled with activites and parents loved you stricktly. Sure we had our days when we mumbled "gee they are too strict", but we knew that even though we were not rich in the sense of monetary things, we were rich because we were truly loved. In those days, grass was something you laid on to talk to your friend, not smoking it. We were free to roam the neighborhood and discover life. We learned how to make forts in the woods go to scout camp and learnd how to make somemores over a camp fire in the back yard.

Being the oldest of 5 kids for awhile, until our baby sister mary jo came along when I was already married and had a 2 year old of my own, was good practise for later in life. It taught me how to share (a room with 4 other sisters) how to bargain (let me wear your skirt and you can wear my blouse) how to shop for bargains ( gee i have 3.00 from babysitting, how much can I get at the store?) learning to care for a house and kids (your mom is in the hospital, now after school you have to come home and take care of dinner and watch the kids till dad gets home). Learn how to laugh and learn how to pray. Growing up in a strict Catholic home taught us the value of praying (please god let me go outside). We were taught not to be predjudice cause God made us all and you couldnt judge a book by its cover. Games were sometimes played on a board, but most times made up in our imaginations. We had carefree days playing in the sun and mud, two of God's best inventions.

We always saw our parents show alot of love and respect for each other, rarely saw a disagreement and saw alot of affection between them. We saw them spending 58 years of wedded bliss together. I know there were times when things were very hard for them (you dad got laid off another job, lets go camping for 2 weeks). They struggled to give us all a good Catholic education and some of us even went to college. Their secret was God was the glue that held them together. It was time to pray when things got rough. After Dad's retirement they said a rosery together every day and certain other prayers. It carried them through the rough times, With all their pains and aches they still kept that smile on their face.

There idea of fun was go go to the local casino to play slots, they seemed to do very well as they would send St. jude 10% of what they won. In October of 2005 we found out dad had a brain tumor, I had a sister Marge that we lost in 1993 to a brain tumor, different kind and different location. Dad went home to heaven on October 27 2005. I am sure God loved him so much he didnt keep him here to suffer, but brought him to his glory to tell him thank you for all your love and devotion all your life. Thats the secret "love God with your whole soul and mind. Its easy". The world would be so nice if we all could do it. But we do have the chance every day to write on the clean slate,
© Copyright 2006 kitty (kitty927 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1149911-The-secret-of-real-happiness