*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150066-Rubber-and-Old-Shoes
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1150066
What are friends for?
My friends had locked me in the trunk of my car.

"Ok guys, you can let me out now."

I heard knuckles rap on the door above me. "Is someone in there? I swear I heard someone say something." Steve laughed at Mike's attempt at humor. I wasn't laughing. It was dark and smelled like rubber and old shoes in there.

"Let's see how good the shocks are."

With each squeak and moan the car made as Steve and Mike set it in motion, I swayed side to side. Something rolled forward and hit me in the head.

"The shocks work fine. Let me out, assholes." I can be a very impatient person.

The rocking stopped. I could hear the shuffle of feet on gravel.

"Alright, alright, don't get your panties in a wad," I heard Steve say. Then the sweet sound of my keys rattling as they were being inserted in the lock.

"What the....oh god....let's get out of here!"

What was happening? I heard gravel being kicked up and pounding feet growing fainter.

"Wait! Don't leave me in here! Get me OUT!" I shouted and kicked franticly on the door. I stopped to listen. Nothing. No snickering, no whispering.

Why would they just leave like that? What was out there?

I was afraid to make any sound at all. Afraid that something bad was out there that was even worse that being locked in here. I was starting to hyperventilate.

Was there anything in here I could use as a weapon? I felt around to both sides of me. A tire iron, yes! I was shaking so much that I could barely get a grip on it. Hugging it tightly to my chest I prayed that there was nothing out there and that Steve and Mike would come back for me.

A police officer found me the next day. I was asleep curled up with the tire iron.

"What are you doing in here son?" The cop looked at me like I was crazy. He helped me out onto my shaky legs. I dropped the tire iron back into the trunk.

"My friends and I were messing around last night and they locked me in. They just ran off and left me," I said as I glanced around the vicinity.

The cop's eyes almost popped out of his head. "What are your friends names?" he asked urgently, grabbing my shoulder.

I felt as if a cold stone had fallen into the pit of my stomach.

"Steve Ryan and Mike McKay. Why?" I replied, starting to tremble.

"Your friends were reported missing last night. Some guy found their bodies a couple of miles from here in a creek. They were mangled all to hell. Like some wild animal had gotten to them. I think you had better come with me. I need to know everything that happened last night."

My blood ran cold. If Steve and Mike hadn't put me in the trunk......Thank God they did.


© Copyright 2006 lorelle (lorelle at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150066-Rubber-and-Old-Shoes