*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150339-Morlapodicus
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1150339
Flash Fiction - Prompt: Scientists discover new gender
          “It’s a Morlapodicus,” Dr. Cornaval proclaimed. His right arm rose toward the ceiling and then swooped down to unveil his new discovery.
          “I’m sorry Doctor; I just don’t know what you are showing me. It just appears to be a baby to me. Please tell me you didn’t drag me down from the hospital to present something I work with every day.” Dr. Practicali’s shoulders slumped.
          “Do not allow your eyes to deceive you. We are scientists, not casual observers. It’s a Morl-a-pod-i-cus.” Dr. Cornaval began to slap the table between each syllable causing the Morlapodicus to slide bit to its right. “It is not male. It is not female. It is not a hermaphrodite. It is Mor-la-pod-i-cus.”
          “I do hope you have a bit more evidence of this. Take off the diaper and show it to me.” Dr. Practicali ventured toward the presentation table, but was quickly thwarted by his colleague.
          “This is not necessary my dear friend. I will just tell you about the chromosomes.”
          “And what about them”
          Dr. Cornaval’s lips arched into a smug grin. “Well, we all know about how a male has an ‘X’ chromosome and a female has a ‘Y’ chromosome…”
          “Yes, everyone is aware of this,” Dr. Practicali interrupted. “Did you discover a newly shaped chromosome as well,” he sarcastically shot.
          “The Morl-a-pod-i-cus has the ‘Q’ chromosome.” Dr. Cornaval noticed the Morlapodicus had slid near the very end of the table. He repositioned it with a quick swipe of his elbow.
          “That’s absolutely ridiculous. There’s no such chromosome.”
          “Ah, well, um, there wasn’t until I discovered it.” The excited doctor lifted a piece of paper off the table and handed to Dr. Practicali. “As you can see, there is no doubt about my findings. It is the first Morlapodicus and has the first ‘Q’ chromosome.”
          Dr. Practicali scanned the document and shook his head with a surprised look on his face. The technical data seemed to satisfy any doubts. “Congratulations, Doctor, your Morlapodicus will be the discovery of the century.” Dr. Practicali reached out shook the other’s hand.
          Moments later a slightly built man walked into the room and closed the door with a loud thud. He was carrying two medical charts and a large notepad. The two doctors looked up in surprise and let go of each other’s hand. Dr. Practicali acted first by scurrying toward the door and disappeared behind it in seconds. Dr. Cornaval looked frightened and quickly covering the Morlapodicus with a large blanket. As he hurried out of the door he grabbed the slightly built man’s shoulders and blurted, “You can’t tell anyone what you’ve seen here.” With that, Dr. Cornaval disappeared.
          The man walked over the table where the Morlapodicus lay. He lifted the blanket and peered down. A small infant doll lay still, covered around the midsection with a face cloth. Removing the cloth, he noticed this was one the hospital’s androgynous dolls used for teaching CPR. On the floor, next to table was a piece of paper with a dirty, naked foot print newly imprinted. He picked it up and inspected. There was a large letter ‘Q’ drawn in red crayon and the word ‘kromozone’ underneath. He placed the paper in one of the medical charts he had carried into the room. On the cover of each chart read, ‘Property of East Hampshire Mental Health and Wellness Center.’




© Copyright 2006 millhouse (millhouse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150339-Morlapodicus