*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150547-Zirkus-Des-Wunders--Midget-Olympics
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Bobcat
Rated: · Script/Play · Comedy · #1150547
Never take your midget for granted. A heartwarming, politically-incorrect tale...
I know the fomat is incorrect but please bear with it. Thank you.

Circus owner : Rumbletrump
Midget : Farlow
Midget girl : Minutia
Girl : Felina
Midget owner : Lance

OPENING SCENE. EXT. STADIUM, MID-DAY, MIDGET'S

Shot of a clear, blue sky. Sounds of laughter, cheering and enjoyment are heard. Camera is lowered and shows a stadium, empty of spectators. Midgets are training. They can be seen on the track running. Shot of midgets in the centre pitch, some carrying filled trays, some with trays on their heads. They are briskly walking up and down the pitch. There is a coach, blowing a whistle and shouting instrustions to the midgets. Close up of one midget. He has a happy and carefree expression on his face. Span out to show whole stadium. Shows lots of midgets in training. Laughter is the main sound.

OPENING CREDITS (to be edited when complete)

1. INT. LANCE'S LIVINGROOM, AFTERNOON, FARLOW, LANCE, FELINA.


FELINA is visiting LANCE. LANCE is sitting in a livingroom on a chair. FELINA, a long-time friend is sitting on a sofa adjacent to his chair. FARLOW, LANCE'S midget is standing beside the chair. FARLOW has a tray on his head. LANCE has a cup of tea on this tray. He takes the occasional drink from it and sets it down again on the tray on FARLOW'S head. LANCE and FELINA are having a friendly conversation. FARLOW is silent.

FELINA
I went into town today.

LANCE takes a sip of tea.

LANCE
Oh yeah?

LANCE sets cup on FARLOW'S head-tray

FELINA
Yeah. I saw a few posters around. There is a circus coming to town.

LANCE
Really?

LANCE glances at FARLOW

FELINA
German one.Der Zirkus des Wunders

LANCE
The circus of wonders?

FELINA
That's it. You speak German?

LANCE
Well, it's pretty obvious what it means.

FELINA
This is true. You seem uptight.

LANCE
I'll tell you later.

LANCE takes a sip of tea and sets it down again on FARLOW'S tray

LANCE
Not in front of the M.I.D.G...

FELINA
I see.

LANCE
Farlow, run along into the kitchen and make Felina a cup of tea.

FARLOW silently leaves the room.LANCE waits until he knows his talking is drowned out by the sound of the kettle boiling until he moves and sits beside FELINA on the sofa. He leans in close to her and starts to speak in a low voice.

LANCE
(sombre tone)
Felina, what do you know about German circuses?

FELINA
Why? What's wrong with German circuses?

LANCE
(sighing)
You have no idea do you?


There is a silence for a moment while FELINA searches LANCE'S eyes for answers.

FELINA
Lance, what is it?

LANCE
(almost whispering)
German circuses are renowned for their midget performances.

FELINA
Lance! That's great! We can take Farlow for a day out!

LANCE
Are you mad!?

FELINA
What? He could see lots of midgets, see what he could do. It might inspire him.You know how he feels about the midget olympics.

LANCE
Listen Felina ; until this circus leaves town, Farlow is not to leave this house or our sights, alright?

FELINA
Lance, what are you talking about?

LANCE
A German Circus is a midget black market. If they see Farlow who kows where he'll end up.

FELINA
You mean?

LANCE
Yes Felina. And there is to be no mention of it in front of Farlow.

FELINA sits in sits staring ahead of her. She has a look of disbelief on her face. FARLOW enters the room carrying a teapot, a jug of milk, and two cups on him head-tray and walks over beside LANCE'S chair. LANCE gets up and sits back in his original seat. He leans over and pours his and FELINA'S tea.

LANCE
Thank you Farlow.


Lance: Anyway Felina, let's talk about something else. How are things going with that fellow you've been seeing?
Felina: Ah, ok. I dunno if I'm gonna see him again.
Lance: Why not? Did something happen?
Felina: Nah, it's just that there is no chemistry.
Lance: I've seen him. He's pretty hot, I mean, (stuttering) I would think so if.. if I liked guys - which I don't. I like girls. I like girls a lot.
Felina: I know, I know. That's why I liked him. I mean he's a lovely person, but there's just nothing there. It's such a strain talking to him. I've just come from town with him. We had coffee in that little place, you know the one beside the dock? It was the slowest half-hour of my life.
Lance: Don't you think you could live with that? I thought you said he was great in bed.
Felina: Oh he is... he is...
Lance: Well. If it isn't working out, then I wouldn't waste any more time with him. Find someone you enjoy being with.
Felina: Yeah, you're right. You are. It's just so hard to find someone who's on my level. Know what I mean?
Lance: [laughing] I do. I can't imagine many people are on your level, to be honest, Felina.
Felina: [laughing] Shut up Lance.


Lance and Felina hold each others gaze for a few seconds.

End of scene.




Next scene:

Camera zooms down a hall. A door is open at the end of it. This is Farlow's room. Inside, Farlow is getting ready. He is wearing a runner's outfit, (like a leotard) and is adjusting the tray on his head. He lifts his head and looks into a mirror and smiles.



Next scene:

Stadium. The trainer is talking to Farlow.

Trainer: Farlow, you've really improved. I see a lot of potential in you.

Farlow: Thank you sir. I've been training hard.

Trainer: I can tell. You know, you are Olympic material.


Farlow's face lights up. He has a broad smile.



Trainer: You know the Midget Olympics are coming up. I'm sure you know already. Farlow, I would like to enter you.

Farlow: Really? I mean... really?... you... seriously?

Trainer: Farlow, you know you're the best midget I have on this field. I've never seen a midget carry a tray on his head as well as you do. You have the speed as well. Farlow, this is what you're made for. I know you could be great; I have an eye for these things.

Farlow: Wow, thank you so much. That's been my dream since I was little... I mean, littler.

Trainer: Farlow, you could make it big.

Camera zooms out to wide shot of stadium. There are a few people in the seats, watching the midgets train. It is mostly the midget owners, friends and family. Camera zooms into one particular man. He is dressed like a ringleader, except all in black. He has an ebony walking stick. He is peering out from under his hat toward the midgets. He watches Farlow closely and when he sees how Farlow performs, he smiles showing a few yellowed teeth. This is Rumbletrump. When the training is over and the midgets meet their owners to leave, his eyes follow Farlow as he walks to Lance.


Next scene:

Outside the stadium. Farlow and Lance are walking along the footpath. Farlow has his head-tray on. Lance has some groceries on it. Farlow is walking like he is in a daze. Rumbletrump is walking a distance behind them. He has is head down, his face in shadow under his hat. Eventually Farlow and Lance reach the house. Rumbletrump watches from the end of the street, on the opposite side of the road as they go inside. The door closes and Rumbletrump smiles and sniggers quietly. Wide shot of neighbourhood. Rumbletrump is walking back the way he came.

Next scene:

Int. Felina's house, 1pm, Felina, Random Guy

Felina is in bed with a guy. He is extremely good-looking. The both are sitting upright, smoking. Random guy has a German accent.



Felina: Pashuelnaquoi!

Random guy: What?

Felina: Nothing.

Random guy: (finishes cigarette) Right, I best be off.

Felina: (getting out of bed) OK.See you 'round.

Random guy pulls on clothes and leaves. As Random guy leaves, the sound of a door closing is heard. Felina adopts a confused look.

Felina: What in the name of God was that fella's name?

Felina shrugs her shoulders and gets dressed.



Next scene:

Ext. Outside a coffee shop, 4pm, Lance and Felina.

Lance and Felina are having a coffee, smoking.

Lance: So who were you with last night? You didn't call this morning, so I assume you were with someone.

Felina: Lance, when am I not with someone?

Lance: I know that! Who was he ; would I know him?

Felina: Nah, I wouldn't say so. He's German. With the circus I think.

Lance: (angered) The German Circus? Felina!

Felina: We just met in the pub. It was only a one night stand. I'm not seeing him again or anything. He doesn't know about.... (whispering) Farlow.

Lance: Fair enough, I'm sure it was harmless.

Felina: Yeah it was, Just sex.

Lance: What was his name?

Felina: He may have told me... but... uh... honestly, I have no idea.

Lance: Jesus! How much nameless sex have you had in the past month? Fucking hell! I have never met anyone as sexually active as you in my whole life!

Felina: Oh Lance, don't make me count! Zalupa! You make it sound like a bad thing that I enjoy sex.

Lance: It's not a bad thing. Just nobody enjoys it quite as much as you. But I don't understand how you can have sex with people you don't know, or even like for that matter.

Felina: It's not about that emotional crap Lance. It's about the sex.

Lance: I know that, I just don' understand it.

Felina: To each their own I suppose. I don't understand how you can be so "moralled" about sex though. I mean, You're so detached and unemotional in all other areas of your life, especially relationships. Why do you feel so strongly about having sex for love? I didn't know you actually loved anything. Do you?

Lance: Actually Felina, I'm sure you'll be shocked to know I love quite a few things. I know it doesn't seem like it, but I'm quite an aesthetic man.

Felina: Yeah you're ok-looking.

Lance: I'm being serious. You're the unemotional nymphomaniac.

Felina: I just enjoy the simple pleasures.... the complicated ones too. (pauses) Pleasure in general.

Lance: A little too much, methinks.

Felina: Don't be silly. Too much? I'm not harming anyone.

Lance: You might end up harming yourself.

Felina: I always use a condom (winks)

Lance: Not STDs Felina ; I mean emotionally.

Felina: Emotionally how? I don't involve emotions. As a rule.

Lance: Maybe you'll be fine., but I'm worried. Just be careful ok.

Felina: Well, isn't this a revelation! You concerned. Talking about emotions and what-not..... Is this a new Lance I see?

Lance: Never. Let's go. (begins to talk very loudly) The man sitting behind me smells like fish and piss.

Felina: Lance!!! (laughing)

Lance and Felina quickly get up and run off. Felina is laughing calling Lance names in Russian.


Camera zooms into a table, one behind where Felina was sitting. There is a man with his back to the camera. Slowly he turns his head to look at Lance and Felina as the run off. A smile creeps over his face and he raises it out of shadow. We see that it is Rumbletrump.

Next scene:

Ext, circus camp, twilight. Rumbletrump, Random guy.

Rumbletrump: Well, did you find anything out

Random guy: She didn't mention anything, and I didn’t want to ask. Thought I might appear suspicious.

Rumbletrump: I'm not paying you to have sex. You had a mission.

Random guy: She didn't say anything but she did have pictures all over her room.

Rumbletrump: Pictures? And what?

Random guy: Pictures o the midget, sir. That Olympic one.

Rumbletrump: Really? That's very interesting indeed.

Random guy: Thought you'd think so.

Rumbletrump: So she knows the midget well?

Random guy: She seems to. The pictures were of her, the midget and his owner. Lots of them.

Rumbletrump: Just as I suspected. This could prove very useful. Well done.

Random guy: Thank you.

Rumbletrump takes a fat envelope out of an inside pocket in his coat and hands it to Random Guy.

Rumbletrump: Can you do the same again? Meet the midget even?

Random guy: (looks at envelope) Maybe.

Rumbletrump: I'll double the next one.

Random guy: Consider it done.




Next scene:

Int, circus, Lance, Felina

Lance and Felina are at the circus. They are in the crowd, not ringside. The circus is starting soon. Lance and Felina are eating popcorn, talking.

Felina: Isn't this dangerous?

Lance: Why? Farlow is safe, not here.

Felina: I know, but maybe we should have stayed at home with him.

Lance: He's fine. Farlow knows not to let anyone in. Anyway, I think it's a good idea being here.

Felina: Why?

Lance: We can see who to look out for. (eats some popcorn) And see what they do with these midgets.

Felina: Well, ok then. I suppose that's a good point. I still feel uneasy though.

The lights go out and the audience cheer. the Circus is starting.

Booming voice: Ladies and Gentlemen, Boy and Girls, get ready to see the most amazing midget performers in all of Europe....

A spotlight accompanied by a loud drum suddenly comes on. It shines on Rumbletrump, the Ringmaster.

Felina: OH MY GOD!

Lance: What?

Felina: That was the man sitting behind me at the cafe yesterday!

Lance: What?! In the café? When we were talking about you and your man? And Farlow? Oh my god. Felina, he must have been watching us all along. We have to get home to Farlow NOW!

Lance and Felina get up to leave the circus.




Next scene:

Int. Lance’s house. Late evening/night. Farlow, 2 hooded men.

Farlow is in the kitchen mopping the floor, humming to himself. Two hooded men are in the living-room, gradually sneaking into the kitchen. They sneak up behind Farlow and grab him. Farlow begins to scream and one of the hooded men cover his mouth. They drag him out the front door and bundle him into the back of a van. One of the men gets into the back with Farlow and the other gets into the passenger seat of the van. The van quickly speeds off.


Next scene:

Ext. Lance’s street, night, Lance, Felina.

Lance and Felina are running frantically down the street toward Lance’s house.

Lance: (panting) Oh my god, what if something happens to Farlow? How could I live with myself? How could I live without him? Oh Farlow! Please be ok.

Felina: Faster Lance!

They get near Lance’s house and Felina notices the front door is wide open. Felina screams.

Felina: Oh my god! Oh my god! LANCE!

Lance: What is it?

Felina: The door! They’ve been! Oh my god!

The two get to the door and Lance runs into the house. Lance is screaming Farlow’s name. Felina runs upstairs. The sound of slamming and opening doors is heard. Lance looks in all the rooms downstairs. The two eventually meet at the bottom of the stairs.

Lance: He’s not down here.

Felina: He’s not up there either. Lance what will we do?

Lance: Where could they have taken them? We have to go back to the circus.

Felina: Lance, they’ll recognise us. They’ve obviously been following us. We can’t go there.

Lance: Damn-it you’re right. What the hell are we supposed to do? Dress up?

Felina: Actually Lance, that’s a good idea.

Lance: No way Felina. It will never work.

Felina: For Farlow, Lance. For Farlow.

Lance: (sighs) I’ll do whatever it takes. I have to get Farlow back.



to be continued...



© Copyright 2006 Bobcat (bobcat at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1150547-Zirkus-Des-Wunders--Midget-Olympics