*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151947-Home-at-Last
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1151947
Only one stipulation in the rentel agreement.
Clark and Betsy Adams, their two small children and a large shaggy dog, left Minneapolis, Minnesota to move south. Clark and Betsy alike were grief stricken. The move to a strange area, leaving their friends and family behind, had taken a toll on the two young parents.

Clark worked for a large, industry which manufactured aircraft parts. He was one of the junior salesmen. He was handsome, friendly, and well liked by his co-workers. The company recognized him as an up and coming.

Heatier and Pratt were opening a new plant in the south. Clark was aware of the satellite plant, however, he did not think for a moment that he would be the salesman selected to go there. He was offered an attractive salary. He also received a promotion. The perks that were included made it difficult for Clark to turn down. He accepted the offer.

Clark had a cloud of dread hanging over him as he jig-jagged his way through the traffic. He was on his way home to break the news to Betsy and the children.

Stone, age five. A carbon copy of his tall, lanky dad, had the same sparkling brown eyes and sandy colored hair. Erin, the baby sister, was three years old. She had her mothers strawberry blond hair. Her eyes were prisims between blue and brown. Both children were beautiful extensions of their parents.

When Clark pulled into the drive way he felt the knot tighten in his stomach. He did not know how he was going to just march through the door, greet his family, and announce, "start packing we're moving."
He knew he could not be quite that calloused. He would have to present the move to Betsy in a soft, easy manner.

"What! Are you crazy Clark? We have only lived in our new house for less than a year, and you are telling me we are moving south? No! No Clark, I will not move. That is my final answer." Betsy was even more furious than Clark had imagined.
"Betsy, you need to understand my position. I am climbing the ladder of success, and you are trying to hinge my opportunity. Since job's are not easy to find, and I feel I am well grounded in the Company I am with, I will not seek other employment. I will make the move south." Clark gave her a cold stare. Betsy could tell that he was serious. She had to understand his position as well as her own.

The move commenced. The moving Van was at the couples house early. The two men began wrapping, unbolting, and securing Betsy's beloved belongings. Once the truck was loaded, the two movers jumped in and drove away with all her earthly possessions. At that point, Betsy began to cry. She realized that she was not dreaming. She knew, for sure she was being forced to leave behind her family and friends. People she had shared her life with. She was not happy. She felt like running, screaming, anything to distract her mind away from this trumatic time in her life.

And so, the little family, along with the big shaggy dog, Homer, had set out for the new adventure. Clark knew that Betsy was still upset. It would take her awhile to overcome the drastic change. He only hoped that once they arrived at their destination, Betsy would change her way of thinking. They were adults now, also, parents. Perhaps it was time for them to un-tie the strings that had bound them back in Minneapolis. Clark's mind was turning with every mile he clicked off on the odometer.

At the first sign of days end, Clark asked Betsy to help him locate a place to stay for the night. The children and Homer were already asleep in the back of the new Chevy van. "I suppose you should wake the kid's, we need to grab a bite of supper before we check in a Motel for the night." Scott looked across the seat and said to Betsy.
"Well, it's about time that you thought about something except your driving force to get south. We haven't eaten since breakfast." Betsy shot back at him.
"
Oops, still in a bad mood huh? He said with a smile. "Come on Bets cheer up. Have you no adventure?" Betsy kept quite. She did not want to make matters any worse than they already were.

The four enjoyed their meal and checked into the Motel next door to the restaurant. After the kids were given a bath and were sound asleep, Betsy walked over to the chair Clark was sitting in. She put her arms around his neck and told him she was sorry for behaving the way she had earlier. "You have to understand Clark, this is the first time in my thirty years, that I have ever been separeted from my family."
Clark responded with a soft, understanding tone. "Me too Betsy, I have never been this far away. I am also scared of the un-known. We have to work together to make the very best of this. We can't pull one against the other. Look at the kids, they don't mind the move. As long as they are together with us, it matters not to them. We could take a lesson from them." Clark stood and kissed Betsy tenderly on her forehead. He was tired. Tomorrow would be a long day.

Clark was up bright and early. "Alright, we have less than a hundred miles to travel today. Everybody rise and shine, we have a home to find." Betsy and the kids looked up at him with shock. "Clark, it is still dark outside. Let us sleep for awhile longer." Betsy pleaded in a sleepy voice. Clark denied them that opportunity to sleep. They had alot of plans to fulfill. They needed to get on the road.

Raleigh, North Carolina's Interstate was bumper to bumper traffic. There had been an accident ahead. The traffic was grid locked. "I sure will be happy to get out of this mess." Clark mused.

"Is this the town we are going to dad?" Stone asked from the seat behind his dad.
"
No, thank goodness. The town we are going to is quite a bit smaller than what you see here.. I sure would'nt want to fight this traffic every day."

"Clark, I am sure this is not an everyday occurence. Today is the fourth of July."
"You're right Bets, it is. I had forgotten about the holiday. I hope we can find a place to live today. We'll give it our best. We may have to change our plans, and look for a house tomorrow." Clark hoped that they could find just one Realtor that would be willing to work with them on a holiday.

Clark stopped at a Quick stop to purchase gas. He bought everyone something cold to drink. The heat was exhausting and tempertures rising. He stopped at the News paper machine and picked up the local paper.
Once the drinks were passed out, Clark settled in the air conditioned car and opened the paper. Betsy dialed the numbers on her cell phone that Clark gave her from the papaer. "No luck Clark. I think all the offices are closed today."
"Just our luck." Clark responded. He put the van in gear, and started driving.
Several For Rent signs were displayed in front of houses along the way. Some of the people hoping to rent their properties were, in fact at home. Clark
made several attempts at renting a house when he finally came back to the van, got in and slammed the door.
"Don't these people know that children need a place to live?" He snorted. "And do you think they will allow Homer? Of course not. Why do two adults, without children and an animal, need a four bedroom house, is my question."
Betsy kept quite. She knew that now was not a good time to mention to him, they had a home. A new home where the children and Homer were quite welcome. She did not think this was the time to bring up the home they had left back in Minnesota. The thought lingered in her mind, never leaving her lips.
Instead, she said, "With the baggage we have, I am afraid we will have to buy a house. Seems nobody wants to rent to us."
"Baggage! what baggage are you talking about. I certainly hope you are not referring to our children as BAGGAGE," he spat the words at her. He saw the tears well up in Betsy's eyes, he knew he had responded to harshly. Clark apologized for his actions. He pulled slowly back into the flow of traffic and found the Interstate again.

From the Interstate, Clark could see a small settlement to the east. He took the ramp and turned toward the small town. Betsy starred out the window. She had no idea where he was going. The children were napping. Homer lay between the seats, resting comfortably, with not a care in the world.

"Clark! Look, that sign is in front of the big white house. It says that house is for rent."
Clark slammed on the brakes and eased the van back so he could get a better look at the house. "It can't be this house Betsy. This is a mansion. I bet they have a smaller house in the back. Well, it won't hurt to try." He parked the car in the drive way and made his way to the front door. Betsy was amazed at the beautiful Wisteria growing on either side of the drive. The fragrance seeped through the opened window. She could not ever remember seeing a more lovely place. The big white house had large pillars in the front. The high roof over the front entrance had a carriage light. Just above the front door was a balcony with a railing across the length. The windows were large and long. On the opposite side of the porch, she could see a part of the flower garden. It was filled with Roses and Wisteria. Clark climbed the steps and rang the bell. He could hear the echoing of the chimes. Finally, the heavy door opened.
"Yez, can I hep yo sir?" Came the soft southern drawl from the black woman standing on the other side of the door. She was wearing a traditional maid uniform, black dress, white apron, right down to the lacy hat that topped her curly head.
"I saw your sign, Uh, I think it is your sign, I can't imagine this beautiful place is for rent." Clark stammerd. He was not only shocked by the apperance of the home. This lady had also attracted his attention.
"Yez, y'all founded the right place. Do step in outta dat awful heat."
"Thank you, let me motion to my wife and....oh we have children."
"Yo hurry on now, git yo all's selves in hare, to hot to be dilly-dallying 'round."
Clark smiled as he motioned for Betsy and the kids to join him inside.

The maid asked them to follow her to the parlor. The parlor was to the right of the foyer. Betsy was totally overtaken by the beauty inside this house. They entered the parlor. Everything in the room was antique. Including the lady sitting in the Queen Anne chair, Clark thought to himself. Betsy was awe struck. Stone and Erin found their place between their mom and dad. They had never been in such a large house.
The old woman sitting in the chair, had a book on her lap, her head was bent forward. When she heard them enter she jerked her head and sat up straight. She had been reading and fell asleep. She looked at Clark, then at Betsy. Her reading glasses were perched on the end of her nose. She gave them a smile that lit up the room.
"Won't y'all be seated there on the divan. My name is Tilley Kindrick. And this here is Mattie Robinson." She pointed a crooked finger toward the maid. Now, tell me your names. Mattie, why don't you fetch us some of that home made Lemonade you spun up this mornin'. Now, where was I? Oh yeah, what are your names.?
Clark smiling, could not believe the way this petite, frail lady could ramble on. "My name is Clark Adams, this is my wife Betsy and our two children, Stone and Erin. We are looking for a place to live."

Mattie returned to the parlor pushing a serving cart. The homemade lemonade was in a crystal clear pitcher. The orbs of moisture ran slowly down the side of the pitcher. Lemon slices floated in the pale liquid, making it even more inviting to the thirsty children. Mattie had also placed on a china plate, an ample supply of her freshly baked ginger snap cookies.
"Fetch them children some of that lemonade Mattie. I bet they would like some of them warm snaps to go along with it. Y'all grown folks hep your selves." Tilley rattled on."Now tell me, what on earth merits a visit to Tilley Kendrick from y'all Yankee folks?" She gave Clark a wink and a jovial laugh. She continued. "INothin wrong with Yankee folks. I can tell y'all Yankees by the way you talk. My goodness, my granddaddy fought in that war. He told me that the south really won, the paper work just got confused."
They all laughed. Stone and Erin saw all the adults laughing and joined in, not knowing what they were laughing about.
Tilley looked at Clark. "What did you say your name was? Tell me all of the names again. I'm old enough to have the honor of forgetfulness." She smiled. Clark again told her everyone's name.
Betsy, who had kept very quite, had a bundle of questions to ask. She thought about it, and decided to ask only one. "Where is the house you have for rent?"
"Why honey, this is it. This is the only old house I have. This one here is for rent."
Tilley waved her arm as if expanding it across the whole house.
"Now, I have another question," Betsy looked surprised. "Why are you leaving your home?"

Tilley sat still for a moment, as in deep thought before answering. "Well darling, As you can see, I am an old woman. I have been left in this big old house all alone. Herbert, that's my dead husband, and I raised two children here. They both married and left home. Then Herbert up and died. My children were vacationing together with their wives. They had taken a plane trip to Europe. That dang old plane crashed, and I lost my family. I have nobody left. 'cept Mattie. Mattie has to leave me at night. She has a sick husband at home she has to tend to. Well, I don't know who did what they did, but some nosy person called them folks that watch out for the elderly. They come a'calling on me. They tell me that I am to old to be left alone. So, I guess they are planning on putting me away. You know, one of them old folks homes." Clark and Betsy listened with interest to what the old woman had to say. "Now, I hate to think about leavin my home. I thought if I could find some nice people like yourselves, to rent this house, that I would move into the maids quarters." She again motioned toward the other room with a wave of her arm. "I would be out of the way, and Mattie here, would still come and take care of me during the day. I would be no trouble, and I would be out of your way. I have not had alot of luck finding anyone that wants to rent the house, with me still living here. I know it is a request that some folks don't understand. I just don't think I would last long, if I had to leave my home." Betsy wiped a tear from her eye without notice. Tilley continued. "Now, if that is something you folks would do, I will be glad to have you. If you decide that you don't want to have me hanging around, and you don't want the place. Why...that's alright too, I won't get mad at you. That's all I got to say, I reckon." Tilley, and the room as well became silent. Finally, Betsy broke the silence, once she had regained her composure.
"No! It is not alright that you move into the maid's quarters. And, yes, we want this house. I will not rent this house with that option." Clark shot Betsy a look of,"what is going on with her." Betsy continued. "We want this house." She turned and looked at Clark, "Don't we Clark? However, you will not move into the maids quarters. You will live in this house as you always have. I will take care of you after Mattie leaves for the day. Now, if that sounds alright with you, then you just got yourself some renters." Clark sat in amazement. Stone walked to the chair and whispered in Tilley's ear, "may I have another cookie." Tilley was elated. She grabbed Stone and hugged him, "Yessire, you can have a handful if you want them." Mattie looked up to the ceiling, she clasp her hands together above her head and with a big smile on her face, said "Thank yo Lard."

Clark and Betsy could tell by the expressions on the two older ladies faces, that they had made the right decision. The room seemed to light up. They had brought light into the life of Tilley Kendrick.

"Well, Mattie, looks like we got us a new family. Now you folks are family. We all need each other. I think it will work out just fine. We got ten rooms here with five bathrooms. You all just look around and decide what you want to do with your stuff. Me and Mattie will be right here waitin' on you."

Betsy, Clark and the children went to view the rest of the house. Betsy could not believe what they were seeing. The velvets, the heavy wood doors, the quaint furniture that had been in the same spot for years. She was totally awe struck. Clark brought Betsy back to reality when he said. "Bets, we did not tell her about Homer."
"Oh my gosh Clark. I forgot him. We better go tell her."
The couple walked back into the parlor. Betsy explained how they loved the house. She commented on the beautiful furnishings, and then with the fright of a young school child, she said, "We forgot to mention to you that we have a dog. He is a big dog. A big shaggy dog. But Homer is a good dog." Betsy caught herself rambling on, with almost a plea.

Tilley shook her head and laughed. "Mattie already told me she saw that big shaggy thing out in the van. We had an old dog just about like him when the kids were little. As a matter of fact, we called him Shag. He was a great old feller. Yes, we love dogs, don't we Mattie? That dog is welcome here. We got a back yard with a fence that he can run in. When do you want to move in?"

Stone and Erin were jumping up and down with joy.
Betsy looked at Clark for the answer. Clark could do nothing but smile. Betsy again took control. "Our furniture will not be here until tomorrow. We will have to make arrangements to have it delivered here. We are already here, we have our personal belongings in the luggage. How about if we move in now."

"Mattie, you can feel better 'bout leavin' me tanight. Looks like we got to get busy and make room for that truckload of stuff that will be arriving tomorrow. Go on Clark, go fetch y'all's stuff. And oh yeah, bring that big old dog on in here out of the heat. He no doubt needs a drink."

In a few days, everything was in a proper place. Betsy did not move any of the furniture belonging to Tilley. She added hers in with it, which gave every room a different effect. An effect that they all liked. Betsy had seemed to forget about having to leave her friends and family. At least for time being. She spent her days arranging furniture, working in the flowers, cooking meals and attending to Tilley after Mattie left for the day.

Betsy, the eternal nurse, had quit her nursing career a few months into her marriage to Clark. Betsy, who was three months pregnant with her first child, was assisting with a patient who was bleeding severely from massive injuries received in an automobile accident. He was also high on an illegal drug. Before Betsy could realize what had happened, the patient kicked her in the abdoman, sending her flat of her back on the hard floor. She lost her baby. After that incident, she found that she had no remaining love for nursing. In her mind,however, she knew that she would always have the passion for care giving.

She now was given the opportunity to use her nursing knowledge for Tilley. After Mattie left each day, Betsy would begin her routine care. She would bath Tilley, apply the lavender scented powder and lotion and prepare her for bed. Betsy enjoyed taking care of Tilley. Tilley was a delight, though at times, she would get a bit annoyed. "I can wash that part by myself......that is, if you don't mind missy."
Betsy would give her the cloth and let her attend to her private needs.

Mattie lost her husband to Cancer. He had been sick for many months. Finally the dreaded disease took his life. Mattie came directly to the mansion after her husband of forty years was put to rest. She went straight to Tilley and laid her head in Tilley's lap, and wept. "Oh Miss Tilley, what will aw do?" Tilley rubbing the back of her friends head, looked at her with saddness. "Mattie, you will do exactly what you have been doing, 'cept, you are going to stay here. We can make arrangments for your things to be brought in. You will not have to stay in that house alone. You hear me? Now stop crying. We got to figure out how we can get your stuff over here."
"Miss Tilley, aw can't be doin' that. Why you got people livin here. What would they think 'bout me movin in."
"We'll just ask Betsy." Tilley called Betsy out of the kitchen where she was fixing lunch. She explained the cause for the interruption and asked Betsy her opinion.
Betsy began jumping around the room. She grabbed Mattie and danced around the room. "Oh Mattie, you have made our day. Yes, yes, yes. Clark can go get your things on his day off Saturday. I know he will also be overjoyed."
"Well, Mattie, Tilley spoke up. "I reckon that little issue is settled. Now, quit that dang old snivilling, and get me a cool drink of water."

The big white mansion, that at one time was a lonely place to Tilley and Mattie, now rang out with laughter. Tilley loved the activities now going on in her home. The two children, Stone and Erin brought the old woman joy, as she often said. She would sit in the parlor, a child on either side of her and tell them stories. Usually the stories were about her younger years. She told Stone and Erin, that she wanted the memories from the past to stay alive. She was passing all her memories on to them. She then pointed to each of their hearts, and told them to lock those memories up in there.

Tilley Kinderick had a good long, fruitful life. She had lived in North Carolina all her life. She attended the same church for sixty years or more. She taught the ladies sunday school class. Once the old age symptoms slipped in on her, and she could no longer see well enough to drive, she gave up her sunday school class. She stopped going to the church services as well. She missed those good hand-shaking meetings, she would tell the children.
Tilley enjoyed sitting on the veranda in the springtime. The spring soon to come would be the third year for Clark, Betsy and children living with Tilley. Stone was getting to be taller every day. He was eight and Erin was nearly six. They were both attending school during the day. Tilley missed them. She was always happy to hear their voices come through the door. "Listen to you two, you sound like a nest full of chickadees." Always, the first words out of Stone and Erins mouth when they walked through the door,was, "Granny, we are home." The two of them had begun calling Tilley, to her delight Granny, shortly after they had moved in. Both Stone and Erin loved her from the very start.

Betsy did not know the age of her friend Mattie,nor did she dare ask. Age was a secret Mattie kept hidden. She would never reveal her years to anyone. Betsy knew that Mattie was getting along in years. Perhaps twenty years or so younger than Tilley. She noticed Mattie no longer had the spring in her step that she had three years earlier. Mattie avoided climbing the stairs, and bending as much as possible. At times when she bent to pick something up, Betsy noticed she would always grab her back. "Mattie, is your back troubling you?" Betsy asked. "Law yez chil. Dis ol' back feels like it is plum worn out." After that day, Betsy took even more of the load burden off Mattie. Mattie rested more than she had ever been accustomed to.

It was a beautiful spring day at the mansion. Clark had come home from his job early. Now that he had been promoted to plant Supervisor, he could sneak out early on slow days. Betsy was working in the flowers and Mattie and Tilley were sitting together on the veranda. Stone and Erin had run to the veranda to give Tilley and Mattie their "after school" hugs. Tilley was laughing and enjoying the children, when all of a sudden she grabbed her chest and let out a slight scream that brought Betsy and Clark to her side. Betsy knelt beside her. "Let me call an ambulance Tilley. You need to go to the hospital." Betsy pleaded.
"No, No, this will pass, I have had it happen before. It always goes away. Now just let me rest. Never been in a hospital, and I refuse to go now at my age."

In a short while she told them the pain had left her. She felt much better. Betsy still worried and checked in on her during the night.

The summer was filled with activities that could include both Tilley and Mattie. The two of them would sit on the veranda while Clark and Betsy fixed suculent steaks on the grill. The children spent most of the day light hours in the pool Clark had put up for them.

All too soon the fall arrived and school had started again. Tilley would ask Mattie what happened to the time. It seemed to pass now much faster than she ever remembered. Mattie agreed. The house that was quite and still during the day, became a house alive after Stone and Erin arrived home from school, and Clark came home from work. Everybody had something new to talk about. Tilley would listen to what they all had to say. She so much enjoyed the excitement in her home.

"Man, those roads are rough out there. Ice everywhere." Clark announced when he arrived home that evening.
The winter had arrived with an ice storm that paralyzed the southern states. Tilley was not happy to see the ice storm hit. She was happy that the schools were closed. She would sit for hours and tell the children stories. Being with the children was the height of her day.

Stone came home from school one afternoon and gave Tilley a drawing he had done in art class. It was a picture of the nativity. "Granny, you know it is almost Christmas? Only two more weeks."
"Is that right?" Tilley asked "Now what does Granny's boy want from old Saint Nick?" Stone named off several presents he wanted to receive. He then turned to Tilley, "What do you want Santa to bring you for Christmas Granny?" Tilley thought for a minute, and then she said, "Stone, there is not anything in this world that I can think of that I want for Christmas. I have Christmas every day, being here with all my family. I feel that I have been blessed beyond measure. There is nothing more I can ask for." Stone held her hand as she spoke. When she finished he pressed her worn, aged and crooked hand to his lips. He stayed there for a moment. When he let her hand go, she placed it in her lap and patted where Stone had kissed.

The kitchen in the mansion was alive with holiday baking. Clark put a gigantic tree up in the parlor. He decorated it with Tilley's bubble lights. She enjoyed watching them bubble up and down the cylinderical tube. Clark also placed lights out side the house. He had a Santa and reindeers perched on the roof. The stereo, that Betsy and Clark moved in was busy playing Christmas Carols. Tilley always appreciated the Christmas Carols. She especially liked Silent Night. When that particular Carol played on the radio, she would, in her squeky, strained voice, sing along with it.

Betsy was keeping a more watchful eye on Tilley. She had noticed many changes take place this past year. Tilley was weaker. Her mind had begun to slip. She was not as talkative, things were just not right.

Christmas Eve night, the children were excited about Santa coming. They were shouting with glee, singing along with their mother, Santa Claus is coming tonight. Tilley sat in her chair and watched them sing and dance around the room. She tried to clap her crippled hands, now crooked and swollen from arthritis.

"Alright you two, time for bed." Betsy yelled from the kitchen.
"Ah, Mom, why do we have to go so early?" Stone protested.
"Stone, Santa is watching you, you need to mind what your Momma says. Don't be sassy." Tilley spoke softly.
"Okay, Granny. I'm sorry." Stone headed up the stairs to his room saying his good nights on the way. He got half way up the long stair case, turned and looked at Tilley and ran back down the stairs. He grabbed her in his arms and held her close to him. He whispered in her ear, "Merry Christmas Granny, and I will never forget our memories."
"Good night Stone, one memory I want you to always keep close to your heart. Is how much Granny loves you."
Stone kissed her on the cheek and went to his room.
Clark who was nodding off in a chair, excused himself and he followed the children to the room at the top of the stairs. The room he and Betsy now shared, was at one time the room Tilley and Herbert shared.

"Tilley, Mattie and I have a few more things to do before we retire for the night, but I believe you are tired. Would you like to go to bed?" Betsy ask as she knelt before Tilley.
"Yes, if you don't mind. I believe it is about that time."
Becky pushed Tilley in the wheel chair she had now become dependent on. She took her to her room and readied her for bed. She kissed Tilley on the forehead and slipped out of the room. She went back to the kitchen to help Mattie with the final chores before they too could go to bed.
"Mattie, I am concerned about Tilley. She is not herself here lately. If you need me during the night, promise me you will knock on my door."
Mattie had a room adjoining the one Tilley slept in. She could hear any sound that Tilley might make, being the light sleeper she was.
"Yez, Becky, I promise."

Becky was sleeping soundly. She awoke to a soft knock on her bed room door. She slipped quietly out of bed, so she would not disturb Clark. She pulled the door open and found Mattie standing on the other side.
"Miz Becky, sorry to disturb you, but I think you needs to come on down to Miz Tilley's room. I seen dat light come a shining in da room. I could almost here dem angels a singing. Da sweet Lard Jesus has sent His angel to git her." Mattie was shaking as she sobbed. Becky ran down the long stair case. She dashed into Tilley's room. She knew from her nursing experience, that Tilley was gone. She could almost feel death lingering in the air. She knelt beside Tilley's bed and took her hand. The tears were freely falling from Becky's eyes. She knew that she had forever lost a true friend. Tilley was her family. She was like no other person Becky had ever known. "Tilley, Oh sweet Tilley. I love you so much." Mattie walked over to where Becky was kneeling. She sat down on the floor, and the two of them embrased and cried until the ambulance Mattie had called arrived to take Tilley away.

The funeral was the day after Christmas. Only a few towns people attended the Service. Tilley had lived a much longer life than most of the friends she had. It was a quite chapel service, with soft piped in music playing. Stone and Clark had walked to the back of the room to speak with the funeral director before the minister took his place at the podium. "What is it Stone, what do you have to say to the funeral director?" Clark asked Stone. "I have a special song I want them to play for Granny."
Clark and Stone went back to their seats. They had just gotten seated when the soft, melodious sound came across the intercom. "Silent Night, Holy Night." Stone bowed his head and wept.

The will left by Thelma "Tilley" Kendrick was a simple will read two days after her departure. It simply stated that all her worldly possessions would be left to Clark and Betsy. Unknown to Mattie or Clark and Betsy, Tilley was worth a million dollars plus. She now entrusted that to Clark and Betsy. She left Mattie Twenty thousand dollars. There was only one stipulation in the will. That being that Mattie live in the mansion for as long as she choose to, or until death. The very last article mentioned was for Stone and Erin. She gave them the combination to the safe on the wall in her bedroom.

However odd it seemed to Clark, that Tilley would leave a combination to the children, he complied with her last request. He assisted Stone, while he turned the cylinder, twenty five right, eighteen left, ten right. The heavy steel door swung open. Inside the safe sat one lonely satan, square box. Stone reached in and removed it. He opened the box and inside was a worn, leather bound journal. Stone looked up at his dad. Clark shook his head for Stone to open the book. Stone slowly opened the cover. Written inside, in a shaky penmanship was words left behind by Tilley. It read: Inside the covers of this book, are all the memories Granny could remember. I want you to keep this and tell them to your children one day. The two of you remember this. You brought an old woman a world of happiness. My time is near. I've lived a good long life. Your lives are just beginning. Now, go and make your own memories.....I love you, Granny.
Stone grabbed his dad around his neck, and the two of them wept. Tears fell on the leather bound journal. Tears for the vacancy, they both knew would remain in their hearts forever.
© Copyright 2006 AWAND FREBO (awand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1151947-Home-at-Last