*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153194-The-Fragile
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1153194
a love story set to the music of nine inch nails

The sound of her voice is usually a welcome comfort, but at this point and time it’s just a nuisance. The loud, un-pleasant shrieks and cries of how he took her from all she knew. He had promised her it all, and at the moment, isn’t delivering. Truth be told she is just scared. He sits in the driver seat and zones out to the sounds of Nine Inch Nails, The Fragile.
“Do you have to turn it up when I am talking?!” She shouts above the melodic tune.
She shines in a world full of ugliness, she matters when everything is meaningless.
All is silent but the sound of Reznor’s voice.
“All you ever think about is what’s good for you. You never gave a shit about me!” The song blares louder than before.
She doesn’t see her beauty, she tries to get away. Sometimes it’s just that nothing seems worth saving. I can’t watch her slip away. I won’t let you fall apart.
They are still driving north, on their way to New York. The thought of their first date slips into the boys head, the seven A.M. breakfast, after a party thrown by a mutual friend. That was a year ago, and the first time they met. The good thought is quickly erased with the screams of the girl.
“My family, friends, everything is down there. How did I ever let you talk me into this?”
She reads the minds of all the people as they pass her by, hoping someone can see. If I could fix myself I’d die, but it’s too late for me. I won’t let you fall apart.
Cars pass on the left as the boy stares out the window, the girl staring at the boy.
“Look, it’s not that I don’t care about you, because I do. It’s just that I don’t think I can do this, you know start over again.”
The boys hands begin to edge off the wheel as mountain after mountain flutter by.
“So when we get to New York, I am going to buy a plane ticket back. You can stay if you want, but I wish you would come back with me.”
His left hand gets close to the right side of the wheel as his right one slowly works its way higher. The sounds of electric guitar and other instruments scream all around them.
“I love you so much, pleas don’t ever leave me. If you think going to New York is right, then I’ll go, I love you so much.”
His left hand joins his right one and the gently meet the girls cheeks. His face creeps toward hers and this lips meet.
We’ll find the perfect place to go where we can run and hide. I’ll build a wall and we can keep them on the other side…but they keep waiting…and picking…and picking…and picking…
The taste of her lips is sweet on his, and they both remember what they mean to each other. The fact that they will be the only people either has is just fine, and now seems to be a good thing. It is as though their whole relationship is thrown if front of their faces, motion picture style, as they continue the kiss.
The steering wheel inches to the left, horns honk as the car crosses the median. The music, and all other sounds, now disappear as they are lost in each other.
“I love you, I know you’ll love it in New York,” the boy slips out.
“I love you too.”
Cars, and trucks, swerve to miss them as they lay their heads on the others shoulder. It is as though they will be together forever and then the inevitable happens. The sound of a head on collision is unexplainable, but through the three flips they never let go, and to them this never happened. They are still on their way to New York, holding one another.
They lay in the flaming vehicle, in each others arms. Their blood joining as one as it spills out of their lifeless bodies.
© Copyright 2006 jesus gonzalez (jg3387 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1153194-The-Fragile