*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154193-An-Unusual-Place-for-my-Birthday-Party
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest · #1154193
For some, it is harder to find the perfect place for a Happy Birthday Party.
 An Unusual Place for my Birthday Party  (E)
For some, it is harder to find the perfect place for a Happy Birthday Party.
#1154193 by Gamma Jill


New Prompt: Write a story or poem about a birthday party held in an unusual place. This is the final birthday prompt for the week. Thanks for celebrating the 6th Writing.Com birthday with the Writers Cramp.


I walked through the door and sat in my chair beside Dan. He looked anxious to get a conversation started, so I sat quietly. “Hello Jill, I heard today’s your birthday. As my surprise to you, I have invited a large list of people to attend. So we need to get started right away, so that we can visit with them all. The rules will be simple, it used to be a TV Show. So, Jill, This is Your Life!” He then moved my chair into the center of the room, and walked to the door.

My family first entered both parents and 9 siblings in all. And we all began to hug and laugh at once, as the stories of my childhood started to flow out. The memories we had all held, of the fun times and the bad. But when the bad times got started, my dad got his usual mad. Suddenly, Dan stood up and told my dad "Since you can not stay happy, you will have to leave." It startled all of us kids, when dad was walked out the door. But it tickled us all that someone finally stood up for our rights. After a short time had passed, the meanness of my brothers got them exited from the room. And finally, one sister with her husband of rudeness, were asked to leave. After that, it was all cheerfulness, for my sisters, our mom and I. Then chatter was all started about great Holidays we had shared in our youth. I shared memories of happy vacations spent over at the older sister’s homes. And the memories of coloring contests and tea parties, jumping rope and embarrassingly keeping cars out of the ditch with the twins and much younger.

Next Dan walked back to the door, and let some kids come in. All the children I ever grew up with, in school and from church. And as with my family, anyone who ever did me any harm was removed from the room. That did not leave many left, perhaps just one or maybe two. But apparently, the rule of the day was to keep me happy. The topic was talked about, going to the beach and home parties. But far and wide, I had forgotten what fun we had then. So, this birthday was having great success.

Once the crowd had gotten smaller, he walked to that door again. This time in came, my husband and children. This made the times merrier, with laughter and glee. And my friends I had back then followed them behind them closely. All tried to support me, when things got dark and the pain entered my life. They all did what they could to help me hold on one more day. These friends, they will always be my Milwaukee true family.

Again, Dan noticed, there was more room to be filled. So once again, the door had been opened and my Kansas City Family all entered. A super great couple, some grandchildren, and a son in law, new friends from Science Fiction and Fantasy Conventions all strolled in. I was thrilled to see so many, non-judgmental of my life. All hoping to have fun and trying to make it last through the night. At this time, when some one upset me, Dan didn’t walk them out. Instead, he helped me to think of ways to find some resolve.

Everyone was having a great time, including myself. And after everyone who could of had entered, suddenly it occurred to me, my mom had been sitting all alone. I quickly realized than that she had not said a single word. You see she has dementia and does not remember any of us. She just sat with a smile and kept in her little corner, without out any of our memories or actions to make her frown.

Suddenly, I heard a faint doorbell and Dan said, “Therapies done for now, I hope you learned something from today. And that you have a happy birthday.” “Yes,” I replied, “There have been some happy times I have forgotten. Thank you so very much for you helped me remember. This has been my best birthday party yet!”


Word Count: 706

That you WDC for this wonderful contest, I have had a blast. Hope you have had a Happy Birthday Week!!!
© Copyright 2006 Gamma Jill (gammajill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154193-An-Unusual-Place-for-my-Birthday-Party