*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154376-Looks-are-NOT-everything
Rated: E · Editorial · Young Adult · #1154376
Looks are not everything in this society
Looks are NOT everything
By nice_woman26



Everywhere you look, you see celebrities and models who are very skinny. It is not good because young girls look up to celebrities. We do not want our youngsters turning to bullimia because they want to look like their favorite celebrity.


Going hand in hand with celebrities, are the type of ads on other web sites. I'm a member of myspace. I realize they need to have ads, because the site is free.
I do not agree with the types of ads. Most of the ads are "sexy"; many of women, in suggestive poses.


Women have come such a long way! Women acheived the right to vote. Has the media forgotten this? I realize and understand companies need to sell products and services to thrive. However, do they NEED to go to the "extreme", showing women in sexually-suggestive poses? The media is implying that women are not important, just another thing to control.


Some people are over looked by the media just because of the way they look. This is not right! Young people watch the most television in this country. Some of them look to the media to find out how to act.


Judging people on their looks also occurs in the workforce.
Professionalism is very objective. Some people think by wearing a suit, you are professional. The word "professional", to me, means someone who treats workers and clients with respect. "Professional" also means working hard and doing the best at your job. I firmly believe that doing your best and working hard is all that counts. (Can an employer legally fire someone because of their looks???)


There is a new show on ABC called "Ugly Betty". It's a great show for all young women because it portrays a "real world gal" in the fashion industry.
Betty, the main character, is an assistant to the editor-in-chief. She tries to fit in but discovers that is not what counts. The thing that counts is caring for people, NOT being stuck-up and "fashion obsessed".


Do we want to teach our children, and generations to come, that women are weak and should be controlled?
Do we also want to teach them to judge others based on their looks?
© Copyright 2006 new_writer26 (nice_woman26 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154376-Looks-are-NOT-everything