*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154383-The-Big-Story
by Jamuna
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1154383
An ambitious reporter, who has a chance to meet her favourite star. But is it worth it?
"Medha Sen has just dropped into Lifestyle in Adyar for a promotional campaign. We can't let go of this, can we?" These words were said to Meena, a famous Page 3 reporter of the Chennai newspaper, The Daily Metro.

Meena felt elated. Medha Sen was a famous actress, whom she had always admired. Getting her interview was one of her dream assignments. A lot of others of the same profession as hers also thought the same - and that was the reason why they rushed to the mall the moment they heard Medha had set foot there.

When Meena was about to leave the editor's room, the phone rang.

"Hello"

"..."

"Oh! Really?"

"..."

"I'll send someone over right away!"

Then he hung up the phone.

He told Meena "There has been an accident at Anna Nagar. I need to send someone over there immediately. Can you go?"

Meena showed a look of hesitation and said "But I don't want to miss this great opportunity of talking to Medha. It will really do a lot of good to my career. Besides, Anna Nagar is so far away - by the time I go everything would have been cleared out anyway. Accidents happen all the time, Sir. But meeting Medha is very important to me."

The editor said "Very well, you go on. I'll call up Sudhakar and ask him to cover the accident story."

Meena, heaving a sigh of relief, rushed out and, getting into the media vehicle, rushed to the Lifestyle mall.

She got there just in time. Medha was talking to journalists answering all the questions thrown at her. And the emotions in the faces of the reporters were nothing less than delight. Meena struggled through the huge crowd that had gathered and managed to thrust her mike in front of Medha... And asked her "Ma'am, do you think film stars should get involved in charity?"

"Yes. Definitely, charity should be a priority with everybody. We must all help when someone is in need."

"And one more..." Before Meena could complete, another reporter started his question, and that was the end of it, as Meena sensed that her turn was over.

When the press was done with its persistent questioning of Medha, and some friendly reporters had even swapped notes of the interview of one of their favourite actresses, there was a big party thrown for them.

Meena was doing her best to get the attention of Medha again, her phone started ringing. She saw the display. It was Sudhakar.

"Hello.. What is it Sudhakar?"

"Meena I have something... to tell you..."

"What? I can't hear you... there's a lot of noise here"

"..."

"I don't hear a word Sudhakar. Look, I'll talk to you later ok? I have to get a good interview of Medha somehow... My report of this party must be the best tomorrow..."

"..."

"Bye..."

A few minutes after hanging up, Meena finally managed to catch Medha's attention and boldly walked up to her.

"Hi... Have you heard of me? I'm Meena from the Daily Metro."

"Yes... I think so... I've heard people in the industry talk about you. You do know a lot of people in the film industry, don't you?"

"Yes, I do. Can we take a picture?"

"Yah Sure"

Once the picture was taken, Meena asked a few more questions to Medha. Once she was satisfied with her work, she left the party.

On her way back to office, she remembered that Sudhakar had called her up for something. Feeling a little bad for not talking to him properly, she picked up her phone to dial his number. Just then, she saw that a message was received. It was from Sudhakar. What she saw on the screen shocked her.

"Driver, please go to Anna Nagar General Hospital, quickly." she told the driver.

The driver nodded and increased the speed of the van. Within a few minutes, they were at the hospital. Meena ran in, and talked to the receptionist...

"Where is the accident victim??"

"Vipin?"

"Yes." she replied with tears in her eyes.

"He is in room 101 ma'am. Casualty Ward. To your right."

"Thank you."

Meena ran as fast as her legs could take her. Sudhakar was waiting outside the room. When he saw Meena, he gestured her to go in.

Meena slowly walked into the room, and broke down, when she saw her 8-year old son Vipin with his head and arms severely injured, red with blood.
"He is very serious" the nurse said. He was on life support.

The mother in her cringed with shame. Her little boy, who kept coming to her saying "Mama, Mama" with love, was battling for his life. And when that was happening, she had been trying her best to talk with a woman who, at the best, would just say a "Hello" the next time they met.

She noticed that she still had her notepad in her hand, clutching it tightly. She slowly turned the pages, took out her notes for the day, and tore them to pieces...
© Copyright 2006 Jamuna (j_maruth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1154383-The-Big-Story