*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1158396-Shattered-Glass
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1158396
My heart followed the fate of my glass rose; it had shattered to the point of no return.
Shattered Glass
By Rikka K

We were to meet at the park. This park held a sentimental value for us, because it was where we had our very first date. I still remember that day; it wasn't very easy to forget.

I had arrived at the park early, three months ago. Half an hour early, actually. I still remember how my mother's high heels had caused me to limp for the following week. And to my surprise, he was already there. He was blushing awkwardly, and I suppose I was, too.
I checked the clock. 3:15 pm. Still quite early, but I shouldn't be late, I thought, so I took the gift I had carefully wrapped in pink paper with me. I was pretty proud of my gift. I had searched all weekend for that, but when I saw it in the store, I fell in love with it. It was a glass figurine, intricately carved into a dainty rose. Its blood red tint contrasted deeply with its delicate features, which enhanced its beauty even more. It was lovely, and I bought it immediately.

As I walked to the park, the small box in my hand, I hummed to myself happily. I was just so incredibly lucky to have him. And he loved me! It was music to my ears. I loved him so much, my heart would burst.

He was there, standing by the tree under which we had our first date. That was so sweet, he had remembered! He had his back turned towards me, so quickly, I laid my gift on the grass, then covered his eyes with my hands, giggling uncontrollably.

"Hey, there you are." He said to me.

I smiled, "Yup! Happy anniversary!" I picked up my gift and showed him.

He looked at me, then the gift in my outstretched hands, "What?"

"Hello? What's wrong with you? Today's our three-month anniversary! Don't tell me you've forgotten!"

"Oh. I-I..." he stammered. How could he forget? I was so excited and everything!

I sighed, "Why did you meet me here then? If it wasn't for our anniversary?"

"I... Can we talk somewhere else? Somewhere quiet?" He asked suddenly, looking uncomfortably at the picnickers around us.

I shrugged, before he led me to a quiet spot near the sidewalk. There weren't any people there. Just us.

"So, what is it?" I asked, the gift in my hand. He didn't seem to have any intention of taking from me.

He squirmed, looking at his feet. What on his feet was more interesting than me, I didn't want to know. "I… I think we should stop seeing each other any more."

I looked at him, not really hearing his words. You see, I had a tendency of just staring into his eyes, without really listening to what he was saying.

"See? That’s your problem! You don't even listen to me!" he suddenly shouted.

What?!?!

He looked at me, "I don't want to see you anymore."

I had been expecting a surprise before I came. And I was right. I was surprised.

The box I had been holding fell to the ground with a crash, and I could almost hear the petals of my rose shattering into a million pieces. My fingers turned numb, my heart seemed to have stopped beating, and suddenly everything around me was far away.

"I'm sorry." As he uttered those two words, my heart followed the fate of my glass rose. It had shattered to the point of no return as I laughed bitterly, my own distant voice echoing with the winds.
© Copyright 2006 Rikka K (charmaineyv at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1158396-Shattered-Glass