*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1159402-Chapter-Four-in-the-Rise-of-the-Shar
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1159402
A group of demons attempt to conquer the free kingdoms.
CHAPTER IV

After Malek finished asking Rydia about her trip, the family invited their aunt into the living room for some refreshments. As Vilix went into the kitchen to make some tea, Rydia fetched one of her bags from the door. The bag was long, narrow, and grey in color. Razalon guessed she had owned it for quite some time. It was fairly worn as the handle was beginning to fray. “Now I have some presents for you two.” She said,
“But first you must tell me about your birthday.” Ridiah quickly told her aunt what they had done in the early hours of the day, being careful to leave out the story of their attackers.

By the time she had finished Vilix entered the room carrying a tray laden with small pieces of cake, three mugs of tea and two mugs of cider.
“Well it sounds like you had a pretty dull morning.” Rydia commented.
Razalon snorted and choked on his cider. Ridiah had to turn a giggle into a cough.
Rydia looked around at them curiously but made no comment.
They had finished their drinks and were nibbling on pieces of cake when Ridiah asked her aunt impatiently, “What about the presents you brought us.”
“Oh, I had almost forgotten.” She answered. Opening her bag, she pulled out a wooden sword. This she handed to Razalon who looked lost for words. “Thanks!” He stammered.
“And for my favorite niece I have this.” She said, handing Ridiah a doll.
Ridiah’s eyes fell and she turned her head so her aunt wouldn’t see the disappointment on her face. Ridiah liked dolls but more as a collection than for playing with. She had been hoping for a wooden sword like the one her brother recieved.
“I also got you this.” Ridiah said pulling out a wooden sword a little shorter than Razalon’s. “After all,” she continued, “your brother has to have someone to practice with.” Ridiah’s face shone with excitement as she grasped the sword’s handle. “Thank you!” She said gratefully, hugging her aunt.

After they had gotten tired playing around with their weapons, the twins said goodnight to their parents and aunt. “Don’t you think it’s a bit odd that most of our gifts were weapons?” Razalon asked his sister as they climbed the stairs to their room.
“Yeah, but it is time we learned to use them,” Ridiah answered. “I mean, after all, look what happened today.”
“I guess you have a point, but we are a bit young to be learning how to use a bow and arrow, let alone a sword.”
“I think they know what they are doing.”
“Who do you think those men were that attacked us at the river?” Ridiah asked, climbing into bed.
“I don’t know, but they were up to no good… the way the one at the door turned into ash.”
“I wonder why he couldn’t get past the door.” Ridiah mused.
“I don’t know,” Razalon said, “but I think it had something to do with the carvings on it.”
“But those carving beneath the silver knocker have been there for as long as I can remember. Who would have made it?” Ridiah began talking to herself as she often did when trying to sort out difficult problems. “Which means that someone must have known that they might come here.” She said, thoughtfully. “I have the feeling someone magical has been here before and that is why the house is protected.”
“Do you think the other man will be back?” Ridiah asked, the room was quiet and Razalon didn’t reply. A soft snore told her that he had fallen asleep.

After the children had gone to bed, Rydia waited for a few minutes before she brought up what was on her mind.
“Malek, the kingdom of Hels is on the move again.”
“What do you mean? I thought they had signed a treaty.” Malek pointed out.
“That means nothing. They have always been a country full of lies and deceit, a treaty means nothing to them. Anyway, that is beside the point. We fear that they may be massing a fleet of ships that will allow them access to more territory and attack in greater numbers.”
“What are the rulers of Evalon doing about this?” Vilix asked.
“What they are able to, infiltrating the enemies lines, preparing a fleet of their own.
But they do not have much time. The enemy has been on the move for years.”
“Why don’t they attack Hels? Malek asked.
“Because they have their honor, they will not be the ones to break the treaty.”
Rydia explained.

“I can see the elves have their pride though. They still look down upon the half elves.
That is why they do not protect the islands on which we live as they do the mainland.”
Malek said.
“Are you afraid they might attack us first?” Vilix asked.
“That is what I think, but most people do not agree. They know that the borders of Evalon are too well protected for an attack this soon.” Rydia replied.
“But do not panic there should be a warning far enough in advance for you to get out if fleeing becomes necessary.”
“Let us not speak any more on this subject tonight for I feel as though some evil is being drawn by it.” Vilix said.
The others agreed and discussed good news that happened since the last time they had met. After they had caught up on things that had happened since they had last met, they went to bed.

Ridiah was gliding through the air, hair flying in her face. Higher and higher she soared, looking down she could see a deep blue surface beneath her. “The sea!” She thought. “I must be heading north.” Ridiah determined looking at the stars. Faster and farther she flew. Ridiah had just begun to wonder if she would ever reach her destination when she saw the shoreline in the distance. By now she had no idea where she was. Her course had shifted direction several times and she had lost track of her stars in the cloud cover. She flew over the land; she was going so fast by now she couldn’t tell if the landscapes beneath her were water, desert, or mountains.

Finally Ridiah started slowing down. Everything was pitch black about her.
Looking ahead she saw a flickering red light. Fear rushed through her as she realized that was where she was headed. As her eyes adjusted to the flickering light, she was able to make out the outlines of many side passages.
“This would be an easy place to get lost.” She thought
“I can walk.” Ridiah realized with relief as her feet touched the floor.
She had been afraid that she would be forced to float. She could just picture the look on Razalon’s face when she told him she had been an airhead in her dream.

Ridiah stood just outside an entrance into what appeared to be a rather large cave.
She could hear talking coming from within but she couldn’t tell what the speakers were saying.
Curiosity overcame her fear as she crept along the side of the entrance in the deepest shadows.
“What are people doing in here at the dead of night?” She thought.
“It must be some sort of meeting that they don’t want overheard.” She decided, edging further into the room. Looking around the cave Ridiah discovered that the passage opened into a large room, the ceiling rose in a dome high above her head. The rock she noticed was black and shiny as though it had been polished.

Across the room from her were three gentlemen. One of them was sitting in what appeared to be a large throne made of the same polished black rock. Listening hard, Ridiah was able to understand most of what they were saying.
“Zykle was killed, Master.” Came a familiar voice from the man kneeling in front of the throne. He appeared to be holding a small round object in his hands, which faced toward the throne.
“I know,” answered a voice that made Ridiah’s skin crawl.
“He failed me, as did you.” The voice continued.
“But master, I do not possess the power that Zykle did.” Ridiah jumped in surprise when she realized that the voice came from the object in the Kneeling man’s hands.
“Imagine it,” said a woman’s voice coming from the silhouette to the right of the throne.
“A demon and a warrior, unable to capture two young children.” The voice continued.
“What are you good for if you can’t even deal with a child?” The evil voice yelled angrily. “They used magic against us!” The familiar voice cried.

Suddenly Ridiah remembered where she had heard that voice. It was the voice of the man without the red eyes that had attacked them earlier that morning. She also knew that these people were talking about her and her brother. They had been sent to kill them. Ridiah grew angry and considered attacking, but then it was just a dream, she doubted whether she could cause any harm.

“You never mentioned that these children could use magic.” The voice resumed.
“Nonsense,” said the woman, “you lie.” “He does not lie.” Said the evil voice in the throne. Another wave of fear swept over Ridiah as he spoke.
“I felt it the moment that the children used their power against Zykle.”
“Well can’t you track them when they use their power?” The voice from the object asked.
“Don’t be a fool Shyke, I could if I were willing to stay in a trance all the time to sense their power. Besides once they are trained or come into their full power I won’t be able to sense them if they learn to block my telepathic abilities.” The voice from the throne finished.
“So the names of their attackers were Shyke and Zykle.” Ridiah thought. “And the one that was killed was a demon!”
“Then how did you manage to capture the mage?” Shyke asked. “Our spies caught the mage.” Answered the frightening voice. “That was long ago, however.”
“Who is this man in the throne?” Ridiah thought creeping nearer. By now she could tell the direction the group was looking by the familiar glow in their eyes. “The mage is in the dungeons where…” the voice cut off suddenly.

“We’re being watched.” Hissed the woman’s voice. All eyes scanned the room.
“I have felt the presence for a while but I thought it was a guard.” Came the voice of the man kneeling on the floor. Apparently they had stopped communicating with Shyke.
The red glows of the groups’ eyes told Ridiah they were looking around the room for her.
She huddled in the shadows hoping she wouldn’t be seen.
A set of eyes fixed on her location.
“There! In the shadows.” Yelled the woman’s voice.
It all happened in a blur to Ridiah.
The woman and the man that carried the black orb through which they had been speaking with Shyke ran toward her.
Ridiah screamed as they approached, they were going to capture her.
Thinking of how much she wished to be home. She heard the woman scream in anger, to Ridiah surprise, the cry was fading fast.
Ridiah looked and saw that no matter how fast the woman ran she was falling farther and farther behind.

Suddenly Ridiah realized that once again she was flying through the air.
But this time she was going so fast that she was already over the sea again.
Next moment she was in bed.
“It was real.” She thought, rolling over in bed. Suddenly she felt a strong wave of tiredness roll over her. “I can’t go to sleep.” She told herself standing up. “Razalon must know about this.”
She thought. Walking across the room. Another wave of sleepiness came and she fell to the floor. “I must not fall asleep!” She commanded herself. Ridiah crawled a couple more feet, she grabbed the leg of Razalon’s bed.

The next morning Ridiah woke up and found she was lying on the floor.
“How did I get here?” She asked herself. Glancing around the room Ridiah noticed that Razalon was still asleep. As she stood up Ridiah felt her muscles give way.
She felt as though she had just carried a full-grown pig to market and back. Ridiah grimaced as she walked toward her bed.
“Why is it so hot in here?” She asked herself.
Dizziness swept over Ridiah, causing her to her to stumble. Exhausted she climbed back on her bed.

“Get up! Come on, Ridiah it’s time to get up!” Ridiah opened her eyes and looked at her brother. “Why is he swaying like that?” She asked herself.
Looking around the room she realized her eyes wouldn’t focus. Everything seemed to sway back and forth as though she were in the middle of the sea on a small boat riding the swells.
Ridiah felt hot and thirsty. “Are you okay?” Razalon asked, “You look rather pale.”
“No,” Ridiah replied, “can you get me a drink?” She asked her brother.
“Sure thing.” He answered walking out of the room. Ridiah heard the stairs creak as Razalon went downstairs.
“I think Ridiah’s sick.” She heard Razalon tell her mother.
Ridiah lay back on her pillow, trying to remember her dream. “It had been important.” She thought but what was it about? She winced, even thinking made her head hurt.

Ridiah heard someone coming upstairs and saw her mother enter the room.
“Are you okay?” Vilix asked, with a look of concern on her face.
Vilix felt Ridiah’s forehead and neck.
“You have a fever.” She informed her daughter. “Odd, I don’t think this is a common time of year to catch a fever. You will need to stay in bed for the next few days.”
Vilix told her. “And I don’t think the worst is over.” She thought to herself.
“Drink this.” Razalon told Ridiah, handing her a large glass of water.
Ridiah drank the cool water with a hint of lemon and herbs mixed in.
She felt a little better after drinking it and was able to fall asleep.
By the next day the fever had worsened. Malek went into town to try and find a doctor.
But he learned that the doctor had left town and wouldn’t be back for several days.
Ridiah would wake several times a day asking for water. Every time she would find Razalon sitting by her bedside with a new glass.

After four days Vilix was ready to give up afraid that no matter how hard she tried to save Ridiah, she was doomed to die and pass on. She had tried every medicine she knew of to no effect. She was worried that her daughter would soon die from the fever.
Early during the fifth day, as Razalon sat by Ridiah’s bed, he noticed her mouth moving, but no sound came out.
“Water, she needed water and he had forgotten to fill the jug.” He thought angrily to himself. He raced down stairs and as he pumped water from the well into the jug, he noticed the small bottle of lotion Ridiah had given him for their birthday.
“It will heal most wounds.” He remembered her telling him.
Grabbing it he put a small amount into the water, finished filling the jug, and headed back upstairs. Quickly he filled the cup with water and handed it to Ridiah. When she finished drinking it, he rubbed some of the lotion onto her face and neck.

That night as Razalon sat by Ridiah’s bed, he noticed that some of her color was returning to her face. Ridiah was also sleeping better than she had the last couple of nights. Razalon started getting sleeping and remembered he hadn’t slept the two previous nights. His eyelids drooped and he fell asleep. The next morning Ridiah’s improvement was obvious. She was sitting up in bed and able to talk without a hoarse voice again.
“Razalon, why don’t you go outside today?” Ridiah asked.
“I’m fine, sitting right here.”
“You haven’t even used your bow. I insist that you go outside and find us a target.” She told him. “I’ll be feeling good enough to go outdoors soon.”
“Oh, all right then, if you’re sure you can manage without me.” Razalon joked.

“I’ll be just fine in here by myself. Besides mom is downstairs if I need anything.” Ridiah replied. “Promise you’ll tell me if you need my help for anything.” Razalon pressed.
“I know that we will always be there for each other anyway. If it really makes you feel better, then I promise.” Ridiah replied, “Now go find something to do besides sitting here. It is bad enough being sick without having to look at your face all day.” She teased. Razalon got up and left the room, Ridiah heard the back door shut as he went outside.

As Ridiah sat in bed she thought of how Razalon had stayed by her side the entire time she had been sick.
“Would I have done the same?” She asked herself. “Yes,” she told herself.
“We’ll always take care of each other.” She thought.
The following morning Ridiah was feeling good enough to eat breakfast downstairs.
After they had finished eating, Razalon showed Ridiah where he was planning to build a target for them to practice shooting at. Ridiah helped Vilix clean the Kitchen and went back up to bed feeling a lot better but still worn out. She opened the window before sitting down. As she sat upstairs, she could hear Razalon working outside through the opened window.

Throughout the morning and into the afternoon Razalon worked on the target. He used a large bag and stuffed it full of straw. Next he tied the top shut and drew a target with bull’s eye on the front. Finding a tree a short distance from the house, he nailed the target to its trunk and adjusted it so the target faced toward him. Stepping back, he studied his work. It wasn’t perfect, but he thought it looked all right. After a few days’ Rydia returned to Evalon to gather more news on the gathering of the enemy’s army in the mountain passes. Malek had hoped that she would stay longer like she had before, but he knew it was important that she get back to Evalon before hurricane season began.

© Copyright 2006 sgbiehler (s.g.biehler at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1159402-Chapter-Four-in-the-Rise-of-the-Shar