*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1161112-Contest-Col312-15
Rated: E · Other · Contest · #1161112
My opinion of the Bible verses, Col.3:12-15
Verse 12: Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering.

My opinion: Bowels of mercy. That has to mean that the mercy we show others comes from deep within. Kindness. Can we honestly show kindness? For instance, can you show the homeless man on the street, who perhaps does not smell good, the same kindness you would show the man in the Italian silk suit, driving the Mercedes Benz? When someone treats you unkindly, can you show kindness? God shows us kindness when we are unkind to Him. Since we are the Representives of God, we must conduct our comings and goings as much like Him as possible. Humbleness of mind, could perhaps mean, opening our mind to accept God into our thoughts. Meekness. In Matt.11:29 Jesus tells us He is meek and lowly. Longsuffering. Whew! Only one thought comes to mind here. Is it possible that we have gotten longsuffering and retaliation confused? It seems our goals are to get even. Longsuffering is to bear troubles, injuries, and insults patiently for a long period of time. To be patient and have endurance to withstand the trials we are faced with. If our longsuffering fails, we move on and surely not toward "getting even."

Verse 13: Forebearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any;even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

My opinion: This is strong meat to chew. We are to forgive others as Christ forgave us. May we consider that forgiveness for a moment? Does that mean that we would go to any limit to forgive our enemy? Christ died for his enemy. The Bible says, "we must forgive 70 X 70 daily. That is how many times we are to forgive each person daily. That is difficult, yet recommended by the word of God.

"To forgive, and not forget, is like burying the hatchet with the handle sticking out."

Verse 14: And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.

My opinion: Paul says Charity (love) out ranks meekness, kindness, mercy,etc. I feel that if we have charity, the rest will fall in place. Lack of love for others can destroy a Christian. It can break up a home. Tear churches down. It can destroy a Nation, as we remember 911. In I Cor. 13, Paul speaks of spiritual gifts, of giving to the poor, giving his body to be burned, and so on. However, Paul also says, "Charity never failith." I believe the perfectness mentioned, is the bond of love we share one toward another.

Verse 15: And let the peace of God rule in your hearts,to the which also you are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

My opinion: Christians should live in perfect harmony. This does not eliminate the differences of opinions. We must work in love and harmony, regardless or our differences. We can offend Christians with a sharp tongue secular people as well. As Christians, we are to be one body. We can't always be pulling against the other limbs. A tree has many branches, if one is sawed off, we can visually recognize, the tree has a missing limb. If one of the limbs from the church body is missing, it is harmful and hurtful to the whole body. If not it ought be. Visually that limb is missing, and we should as well miss it with our hearts. With love we need to gather that part in our arms and carry it back to the "attachment headquarters" that being, the alter of God. We should rectify the cause of the seperation, and with christian love bring that one back to the body. Be peaceful in all that we do.
And, we should be thankful that God has elected us to be apart of that body.

Final thoughts: All of us have a difference of opinion, however, charity will allow us to work togethr in all things, dis-regarding our differences. Christian love is not a feeling, it is a strong decision we make to satisfy others needs. Love is the stepping stone that restores peace to a troubled relationship. Love puts a happy smile on the face of a child. Love is visting the elders and shut ins and feeling that warm glow in your heart, because you reached out and showed them that you love them. Love shared is a beautiful thing. Love comes from the heart, orchestrated
by God. Love is pure. When our life is completed, all earthly things will rust and fade away. But, is'nt it wonderful to know, that we will be permitted to take one precious possession with us into heaven. That is the love contained in our hearts.
© Copyright 2006 AWAND FREBO (awand at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1161112-Contest-Col312-15