*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162214-Best-Costume-Party
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Horror/Scary · #1162214
Halloween costume party with a twist
Best Costume Party



Tim is kneeling in front of the tall mirror hanging on his mother’s closet door, so that he can see the top of his head while trying to attach a makeshift antenna to his thick silver cardboard cutout head. But the used paper towel spool wrapped in aluminum foil is too tall and with no proper foundation is unwieldy. The rest of his costume was easy to make compared to the antenna. He is wearing an old pair of blue jeans that he brushed with silver paint. He also applied the paint to his old sweatshirt. The boots were easy and the only part he would allow his mother to buy for him. Silver snow boots that zipped up, but he cleverly covered up the zippers with some masking tape and a silver marker.

Tim realizing the antenna attachment is a futile effort, plus he hasn’t the time to try again, he decides to cover his face with the lead based metallic silver paint, then calls for his mother for an appraisal.


“Here I am dear, just finishing dinner.”

She stands in the doorway of the room with her hands arched against her hips.

“Where is my little child underneath all that paint and pale skin?”

“Right here Mom,” he replies in an agitated tone.

“Are you sure this is what you want?”

“I could buy you that were dog costume at the store.”

“That’s werewolf Mom,” he says with annoyance.

“Are you making my favorite dinner?”

“Yes, and I shut the windows so the neighbors don’t smell it.”

“Good, that kid Mike asked a lot of questions that I couldn’t answer.”

“Yes, I remember, and I also remember you didn’t do the right thing to…

“I know, but I was younger then and I’m sorry Mom, I didn’t know what else to do,” he quickly interrupts.

“Its alright dear, Daddy covered it up.”

“You just get frustrated easily and overreact sometimes. You need to think things through before you act.”

“I’m sorry we had to move to another state and another town.” I’m also sorry Dad had to get a new job, too.”

“It’s alright Timmy I mean Tim, Mommy and Daddy like it more here anyway.” The people here are not as nosy.”

“Yeah, but I don’t think the other kids at school like me.”

“How can that be, your going to a birthday aren’t you?”

“I know, but I think they invited everyone in the class.”


“Well it is small town and you are new. They just don’t know you yet.”

The phone rings.

“Oh, hi honey, yes he is right here, yes I told him, and yes he understands.”

“Your father says to have fun and be careful.”

His mother continues to talk to his father reassuring him everything will be fine until he starts jumping up and down and thrashing his arms about.

“O.K. I gotta go; alright you see you’re getting agitated already.”

“Maybe, you should stay home?”

Tim immediately stops his temper tantrum, which is good because he almost crashed his head into the nine foot high ceiling.

“What the age groups at the party son?”

“Everyone there is fourteen Mom!”

Half an hour later, Tim is standing by himself eating chips straight from the large plastic bowl and sipping some blue juice. All of the other teenage guests are wearing full head and body costumes with remarkable detail. There are vampires, ghosts, skeletons, witches, wizards, and werewolves each donning name tags.

The mother of the birthday boy, Tony says, “O.K. we have the winner of the best costume contest is, Samantha the witch.”

All of the teenagers cheer except for Tim who throws down his drink that immediately soaks into the white barber carpet and begins to fizz.

“That’s not fair I have the best costume.”

The entire gathering of party guests laugh.

“You, your costume isn’t even the right theme, you’re a stupid cheap robot,” Tony replies.

“I thought he was a lightning rod,” another vampire comments.

Tim steamed says, “You want to see the best costume well here it is.”

He grabs at his face and pulls at his skin until it tears at the base of his neck, head, and hair come off revealing a slimy bluish-green scaly face with huge black eye balls and a forked tongue.

Tim looks about waiting for the screams of shock and awe, which never come. Instead the others quietly and calmly remove their classic creature headdresses and then tear off their faces enlightening Tim that he is not the only one of his kind.

One of the parents announces, “This is why new immigrants need to come to Newville for proper training and evaluation.”

He then approaches Tim and says, “We can’t let you go out among the earthlings again; until you can control your temper.”

Tim disgusted says, “Bite me.”

“Sarah, call his parents,” he directs his wife.

The adult then adds, “Well everyone it looks like the cannibal game can begin. The one that eats the most wins.”

All of the teenagers cheer as they descend upon Tim and eat him alive.






© Copyright 2006 ghostpa (ghostpa at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162214-Best-Costume-Party