*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162615-Dark-secrets-of-the-valley
Rated: E · Short Story · Writing · #1162615
This is for dedicated to my friend, she wanted to have what happens in the end included.
For Lauren

I thought that I'd never go back. But here I was, dragging my feet aimlessly in wonder down the path thick with snow. As my feet made indentations behind me and my cheeks began to glow a rosy red, I paused, what was I doing, why was I back here? I swore an oath never to return, yet here I was, it was like a force was pulling me back, back to where this had all began.

I knelt down and picked up some of the snow, letting the sun slowly melt it in the palm of my hand. I looked up and peered around as the sun cascaded over my face, leaving the rest of my body in the shade from the trees. There was nothing but snow and vegeation for what seemed to be miles, it was so beautifully picturesque.

I closed my eyes and raised my chin, drinking in all of my surroundings. This was bliss, this was eternal hapiness, yet the place held a dark secret. My dark secret. My slow pace soon turned into a brisk walk as the sky began to darken and it became hard to make out which way I was meant to be going. I glanced at my watch, I must have been walking around the moors for at least three hours. Now it was seven and it was pitch black. I combed back my hair with my fingers and sighed. Something was preventing me from leaving. But I had to.

My pace began to quicken and my breath shorten as I tried to make it back to the village in time. I felt a pain in my chest and was forced to stop. I didnt like being out alone in the dark, especially in a place which was miles away from the town. As soon as I got my breath back and regained some energy, I started on the path again towards the village. I could just about see the row of houses in which I lived. I lived in the white one, it was different to the rest of the dull brick ones. Mine had bright blue shutters on the windows and matching window boxes, with big french windows and a garden almost the size of the village itself. I loved it here, but it was ever so lonely.

I was finally there, right outside my house a smile appeared on my face as I caught sight of Mrs Crowe, my neighbour.

"Mrs Crowe, Evening." I beamed.
She looked up at the sky and shuddered, wrapping her cardigan tightly.

"Mrs Crowe!" I said, rasing my voice a little, surely she saw me.

"Oh, Hello pet, just getting a bit of fresh air, how are you dear?" she asked, eventually acknowledging my exsistance. She was old, so I had to make an acception for her ignorance.

"Im ok, just been out walking, to clear my head, y'know."
She ignored me again.

After a minute or so a delayed answer came, "Yes, sure. Good for ya lass, well better get in now, because, I, well erm."
I waited for her reply. She seemed to be unsetteled. Soon her husband, Oliver came out and wrapped his arms around her.

"Who you talking to dear, and you shouldnt be out here this late, hurry inside or youll catch a cold.Kettles boiling." he said, sounding more like a concerned parent.
"Why honey, Im talking to Jenni." she replied in her fragile tone.

"You know what happened the other night. Jenni isnt here anymore."

"But Oll, I was just talking to her shes over the fence now."

I didnt say anything.

"Dont be silly, you need some sleep."

"Oliver dear, what happened the other night?"

I closed my eyes, and put my hands over my ears, I wasnt hearing this.

Suddenly I was back, back at the place which I wanted to forget but kept returning too. But this time, I was laid in the snow. I put my hand on my stomach and felt the moistness with my fingertips. The crimson liquid was spreading over my shirt and dripping slowly into the once white snow. I looked up, although it was painful to even make a slight movement. Yes, there towering over me was the menacing evil monkey king.


© Copyright 2006 xheadlights on darkroadsx (georgia1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162615-Dark-secrets-of-the-valley