*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/item_id/1162865-My-Current-Favorites
Rated: E · Folder · Music · #1162865
The things I actually like
These are lyrics to songs that I'm considering putting on an album entitled "Is Nothing Sacred?". The name of the album was the idea of a friend of mine. I have since written these lyrics, and yes, they all have music which is yet to be recorded. Once they are recorded I will likely have a page for it put up on Myspace.

I've a list of inspirations a mile wide. One of my largest being my own personal debate of my sanity. Sometimes I think it to be just for fun. Other times I think it to be a real concern. A few of the items here are evident of that. Irony is another inspiration of mine. My personal concept of musical irony being, for instance, a song like mary had a little lamb, written with lyrics akin to Master of Puppets. Though I don't go to an extreme such as that, a few of the peices here are wholey based upon the concept of musical irony. You'll understand when you're able to hear it, or perhaps you can spare a listen to a song like "The Amazing Sounds of Orgy" by radiohead. Or, for a more blatant example, try "One of My Turns" by pink floyd. That would be the high point of irony.

The last of the inspirations I'll bother to mention is the cliche. Love. I'd like to think that, for the most part, I've done a good job of separating my writing from the idiotic dreamer mentality that I feud with on a regular basis. Many of the songs do, in fact, pertain to it in one way or another. Not necessarily the "In Love" peice that so many concentrate on. Some is written with love as a past tense. Some is written with love that has not yet come to pass, which borders on the present *as it is written*. Though none of them are written in the "Oh, how I love you so" way, which I've found dispicable in my own writing in the past. Most of it is very well hidden, and should you be able to interpret a meaning, as such, you'd be among the few.

What reason could there possibly be for refraining from blatantly expositioning such a prominent influence in me? Well, for one, I don't exactly see how it'd fit in with the tone of the songs I've written. For two, love ruins me as a writer. It blinds me to no end. It's only when I'm pining, or struggling to get over a love where I can write anything good relative to the subject. I couldn't possibly tell you why that is, but I know it to be fact.

If you seriously just read all that, kudos. I, honestly, just felt like writing out my own personal explaination to what I've been writing lately. Though I really should just start thinking of it as expressionism. And now, a glimpse at one of my influences *which I find to be a good example*.



"Are you such a dreamer
To put the world to rights
I'll stay at home forever
Where 2 & 2
Always makes a 5

I'll lay down the tracks
Sandbag & hide
January has Arpil's showers
and 2 & 2
Always makes a 5

It's the devil's way now
There is no way out
You can scream
& you can shout
It is too late now"



I just wish I'd written it. "2+2=5", radiohead
PORTFOLIO  
Portfolio -> My Current Favorites
    Rated: 18+ · Music · #1162070
    Sell me for parts like humans do
    Rated: 18+ · Music · #1162072
    The waking tide will not subside, Within the sides we're giving you
    Rated: E · Music · #1162078
    And everything you see, It seems to me, it's ceased to be
    Rated: 13+ · Music · #1162438
    Over the river and through the woods and into the sun we go!
    Rated: E · Music · #1162737
    It's every word I mean to say, It's every song I mean to play
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/portfolio/item_id/1162865-My-Current-Favorites