*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162885-The-Competition
by Jamuna
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Emotional · #1162885
Some are lucky to live in comfort... but many more are not so lucky
The atmosphere in LG Park was charged with excitement. And why not? The ‘All-you-can-eat’ competition for the residents of Gandhi Nagar was a once-in-a-year event. Everyone, young and old alike, came to demonstrate their eating skills in exchange for great prizes.

It was a Sunday, so people had turned up in large numbers. 20 participants were lined up behind a table, with a large amount of delicious food stacked in a huge bowl in front of each.

It was 9 AM. Sundaram, one of the friendly guards in the locality, blew his whistle signaling the start of the contest.

The participants dug into their food.

“Come on papa...”

“Eat fast... fast...”

“Yes... do it”

The noise made by the crowd during the next few minutes might well have been heard by the entire city. And the eaters did their best to make the most of their 15 minutes of fame. The food before their eyes was so much that some started worrying if they were going to be sick. But, the will to win kept them going. Some people were also posted to stand around the participants to make sure no one cheated by throwing away food. Occasionally, someone choked. But they took some water from the glass that was placed next to the food, and got back to eating at top speed.

When all this was happening, a pair of amazed eyes – hiding behind a bush – silently looked at the goings on.

When Sundaram's watch showed 9:15, he blew the whistle again. The crowd went silent.

The judges, Harinath and Ram – two senior residents of the locality – walked around the table and noted how much food had disappeared from each bowl. Then they discussed among themselves for a few minutes.

Soon, Harinath announced in a booming voice – ”The winner is... Peter from Akshaya Apartments.”

Peter, a young man in his 20s, jumped with joy and came forward to accept his prize of 500 Rs. The sickening effect of the amount of food he had taken was slightly beginning to show on his face. But it was easily overridden by the joy of winning.

In the next few moments, the crowd dispersed. The participants staggered out with some difficulty - thanks to the huge amount of food they had taken. Some servants stayed back to transfer the food left behind into the park’s garbage bin. Once they were done, they left the place, leaving it totally empty.

The silent eyes, that had been looking at the people all along, glanced toward the garbage bin. The face that owned the eyes came into view slowly.

It was a little boy, around 8 years. He was thin as a stick. There was no doubt that this boy hardly had one meal a day. His tattered clothes told more than was necessary about his poverty.

With hunger pinching his stomach, he walked up to the garbage bin and peered in. He put his hand into it, and greedily took out as much of the food in it as he could; luckily he found a big plastic bag in the bin on the right.

“Who’s there?” the voice of the park watchman reached his ears.

Scared, he turned around, and bolted toward the exit. He did not run just for his own safety. He ran for his family... for his starving mother and baby sister... he ran toward his home with the ‘garbage’ that was to be their only meal for the next few days.
© Copyright 2006 Jamuna (j_maruth at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1162885-The-Competition