*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163262-The-New-Boss
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1163262
Would you trust your new boss with your beautiful wife?
The New Boss
By T. Sneddon

Greg loved his job, he was a brilliant salesman with the gift of the gab. APEX, the company he worked for, was changing hands. At their last float on the market a take over bid from an English company was announced. Greg had never doubted APEX would remain in overall control but at the last minute the chairman, and directors accepted the bid, taking the money and running. The offer from Carson Conglomerates had been too good for the directors to reject. This meant Greg’s firm would now be run by an English company. The only consolation for Greg was that Carson’s were keeping the Scottish branch open, for now.
Greg’s new boss was Jack Carson, son of a multi-millionaire tycoon. Jack hadn’t made any money of his own in business but took over from his father on his retirement. Jack had a head for business and being an Oxford graduate he slipped into his father’s shoes at the helm of Carson’s easily. At the age of thirty-seven Jack was still single; a surprise to a lot of people. Not least because of his easy going charm and good looks. Jack wore Armani suits, Gucci shoes and always had pleasantries for friends and staff alike.
The first few weeks after the take-over went smoothly, with Jack telling staff how the company would be run from now on. Greg was promoted to manager as he had been there so long and knew the ropes.
‘The hours will be longer,’ Jack informed Greg, ‘But this will be reflected in your salary.’
Greg was about to object but he knew any objection would fall on deaf ears. Jack was running the show now and would do things his way. Greg told himself he would just have to put up with it and nodded his agreement to Jack.
‘Holidays too,’ said Jack, ‘Scottish bank holidays will be no more, its English bank holidays now okay.’
‘Fine, if that’s how it’s to be then cool with me.’ Greg lied.
He tried not to show his frustration at the new regime but he knew that nothing could be done for now.
* * *
Valentines day was drawing near and Jack decided this would be a good time to hold a party for staff and directors.
‘It will be a chance to get to know each other a bit more in a less formal atmosphere.’
he told Greg. ‘No expense spared I will pay for the whole evening.’
‘So where did you have in mind?’ Greg asked.
‘Leave it to me, I’ll book somewhere nice in Glasgow and we can go to a club from there.’
Valentines was on a Tuesday so Jack arranged everything for the Saturday before to ensure everyone had a good night without worrying about work the next day. Staff were to be picked up by chauffeur driven cars and taken to Tuxedos in Glasgow for a Chinese meal. Thirty-two people gathered at the restaurant for what promised to be an eventful evening. Dinner passed off in good spirits with more than a few bottles of champagne flowing freely. Greg’s girlfriend Alana couldn’t make the meal on time so she promised to meet Greg at the restaurant before they went to the club. Alana reached the restaurant by taxi a little after ten and made her way inside.
Jack was conversing with co-director Scott Thompson, but he wasn’t entirely listening as Scott ranted on. Jack’s eyes were wandering around the restaurant when his eyes fell on what he thought was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.
She stood in the doorway looking for someone inside. She wore a gorgeous red dress that flowed on her body and hung slightly above her knees. Her red high heels made her already long, slender legs look even longer and more pleasing to his eyes. She wore just a touch of make-up that was perfectly applied and her long brown hair sat exquisitely on her shoulders like a silk scarf hugging her neck. As she found what she was looking for she moved into the room passing directly in front of Jack. Jack closed his eyes and he could smell her scent, musky, warm and enticing. He opened his eyes to watch her. Jack wanted her, he wanted her right there and then. He watched her still as she headed straight into the arms of Greg. Greg had been watching Jack too, he had seen how he looked at Alana and a pang of jealousy stabbed at his heart. Jack didn’t care if she was with Greg or not, he had to meet her, talk to her. She would succumb to him in time of that Jack was certain. He just had to get Greg out of the way first.

(802 words approx)
(c)T. Sneddon
© Copyright 2006 Lady writer (tracyuk2003 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1163262-The-New-Boss