*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1164957-The-Big-Cheese
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Women's · #1164957
Very short fictional piece.
She races around the house in a hurry looking for the missing car keys. Ready to walk out the door, dressed in her waitress uniform.

“What are you looking for?” She ignores the question with its sarcastic overtones and continues the search.

“Why don’t you retrace your steps?” Being a man of science Stewart always sought the most logical answers and did not make way for human variables such as forgetfulness.

“Because if I knew what my last steps were I would look there!” He bun began to loosen. Stray hairs wisped across her forehead increasing her aggravation.

“You should fix your hair before you leave.”

“Are you going to help me, or psycho analyze me like one of your lab rats?” She was desperately trying to remain calm.

“We don’t psycho analyze the lab rats, but I like the analogy.” He stared into the distant contemplating the way his wife scurried around the house like a rat in a maze. He often kept his scientific musings to himself. His own little inside joke.

“I am going to be late for work!”

“Oh where oh where is your cheese?” He said, barely audible, his fingers pressed together in contemplation. His thoughts were interrupted by a loud grunt. He looked to see his wife moving the sofa and straining to reach the barely visible keys behind the couch.

“Is that the end of the maze dear?”

“Why yes it is professor, thank you for your concern.” Although she was over an hour late to work she decided to leave early so as not arouse suspicion. Stewart was always mindful of when she should be back home at the end of her shift. Worried she might run off with one of her truck driver customers.

The store was not very busy at that hour and she made it to the register in seven minutes. “A lot of people are having problems with mice this time of year.” The cashier commented as she slid the box across the scanner. Julie looked down at the skull that looked back at her with its empty eyes and cross bones shield.

“Not mice. Just a rat. One big mean old rat.”
© Copyright 2006 dahlingz (cfigue2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1164957-The-Big-Cheese