*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165653-The-Truth-Hurts-So-We-Lie
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1165653
Was written for my English class. Read & Review please
The Truth about the Truth Is That It Hurts; So We Lie
By: Kristy-Rose Gibbs
Luke had loved lying since he broke a vase of his mothers and had been too scared to tell the truth, this had taken place at the age of 8. Now as he entered the mid-teens, these deceptions had gotten him very far in life, except he still got the overwhelming sense of guilt from those that he had told. He remembered the days that he had told many lies just to impress the girls he was interested in, but he never thought he would end up making his best friend fall for him through these lies. As he recalled this, he had a flashback to an earlier year.

<p>Grace was ecstatic that Luke had finally offered to walk her home. It was a late autumn day as the sunset was filling the sky with light pinks and oranges; the tree’s leaves had already begun to fall and danced around them. They walked in a comfortable silence toward her house. When they reached her doorstep, they stood there for what felt like half an hour, but proved to be only a couple of minutes. Grace thanked him and turned around to walk into her house. He departed and made his way back up the street without a glance back in her direction.
Soon this became almost like a ritual for them. Every day he would take the time to walk her home. Before all of this had started happening, she had developed a certain fondness for him and she had troubles keeping it under control when he was around, which was almost everyday now. The two of them had become close over the course of a few months, and some of their closest friends thought that they liked each other, but this was only the truth for one of them.
As the school year ended, Luke walked her home one last time. They stood upon her doorstep, and after mustering the courage as he was about to turn and walk away, she stopped him by a gentle tug on his arm. He turned around to a flushed Grace as she hesitated to say what she had wanted to reveal the entire time she had this feeling. Slowly she asked if he would go out with her, and he complied and said “I would love to.”
After that day, he had lead her on, the relationship had lasted longer than he expected it to; 4 months. He had treated her well; he took her out on dates, cuddled with her, been as romantic as he could with enough dignity to know that he did not love her like she loved him. Things did not go as planned though; one day Grace had found out he was lying to her and she demanded to know the lies he had told her, but he would not deny that he had not lied to her, and would not tell her the lies that had simply spilled off of his tongue. As Grace decided that it was time to take her leave she had one last simple request.
“Tell me a lie,” she whispered as Luke stood near the door with her.
“I love you,” he replied in a low whisper, and a few tears slowly rolled down her cheeks as she turned and walked through the door.

Even though the guilt still haunted him, it didn’t stop him from making one of the cruelest lies in his life, and of his ex-girlfriend’s. The worst lie that anyone can tell was the one that he had committed out of pity for a girl that thought he was the guy of her dreams, and the only one made right for her. He got what he deserved, a life time of guilt, and wondering if he hadn’t deceived people throughout his life, if things would actually work out between them and if she would ever be the girl of his dreams.

[ Please rate, review or w/e. I just want to know how well this was written. ]
© Copyright 2006 kristybear; (kristybear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1165653-The-Truth-Hurts-So-We-Lie