*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166666-An-Ogre-of-Judah
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Prose · Tragedy · #1166666
A short story - with the spirit of a fable - structured like a 5-paragraph essay.


The piano music lilted in the foreground. Too many keys hit at once but it fit. Somehow it all fit. The muddy claws smashed the keys with an awkward rhythm, a rhythm of heartache and softness and the ludicrous depths of sanity, all at once. The piano ate emotions, drank down, demolished and devoured them. The notes shattered on the stone slabs, major chords splintering to minor.
The Ogre beat the keys unwavering and oblivious to the sound; he was deaf to music and had been for his life entire. He mastered the keys because they were there in his dungeon, with rats and ancient rainwater. On cloudless days, sunlight shrapnel would trickle in through outdoor grating, muting the darkness and the creatures therein.
But the piano would continue to dance in front of a sightless hoard of nothing and none. The Ogre may have broken the piano at any time: his massive forelimbs clearly enough to topple the pedestal of God himself. But never was the ivory tickled as to break itself with laughter, even though every key was off-key and every chord a cacophony.
This was all that existed for the Ogre. The Dungeon. The Piano. A somber jilting melody that his ears could never hear.
But that is not the way things were to stay. The Ogre’s darkling symphonies to Chaos were soon to be drown in a cascade of heaven and mercy.

The world was sick.

A temper-bred tide of teeming life was growing over the face of creation, angering the Almighty. Rainwater poured down, in satchels and caravans from an ineluctable sky. Life was suffocating and everything more dense than water was plummeting to the world-ocean floor.
The Ogre, in his miserable dungeon far from harm and pain and suffering and sacrifice, was drowning too. Still he played on. The waterlogged music could be heard by God alone; an elegy to an indifferent galaxy.
And as the Ogre breathed in a lungful of water, his beady eyes rolled to the top of his head: a pitiless pitiful creature drown in the dungeon that slowly filled with the love of creation. His claws rested one last time on a C major scale. And the music bubbled through the water to all the drowning disenchanted that stared up as that prideful sky opened up and washed sin away. And God smiled.

© Copyright 2006 ThePaperBaron (thepaperbaron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166666-An-Ogre-of-Judah