*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166769-Antichrist
Rated: E · Essay · Religious · #1166769
A different perspective on the dramatized concept of Antichrist.
There is a very real power amongst the Church seeking to defame the name and majesty of Christ and replace Him with itself. This power is deemed Antichrist. Despite many theologians who anticipate a diabolical despot who will rule the world, the threat of Antichrist is much broader and much more imminent than that. To concisely define "Antichrist," we would have to say it is a spirit which strives against Christ by seeking to replace Him.

We must note the similarities this has with a virus. A virus is not like a bacteria, in that it grows bigger; a virus is like a shell with a code of DNA in it which attaches itself to a host cell in order to multiply itself. The virus DNA seeks to corrupt the host DNA in order to produce more virus shells. What then occurs is the host cell has too many virus shells attached to it and it explodes (technical term is "lysogeny".

And that is precisely what this spirit has done since the beginning of the Church. It has attached itself to the Body, attempting to redirect and refocus our DNA (faith) into something which will build not the works and glory of God, but our own demise. From here, let's take a look at Revelation.


Beasts of Revelation

There are differing interpretations of Revelation, among the most publiscized are the Futurist view and Preterist view. The two other main ones are Historicist and Idealist. There are many sincere, faithful, and pious men and women of God subscribing to all of them, and whichever is chosen in the end is irrelevant in light of the Great Commission and fellowship of the brethren. The point being, though, in the Idealist view, Revelation is not seen as foretelling, but forthtelling in its prophecy from God, the unveiling of something in particular, which is Christ. No matter the point of view one sees as best, Christ must always be seen as the focus and main character, or "hero," of the book.

So if, at least temporarily, we adopt an Idealist perspective on the beasts of Revelation 13, then we would presume this is not a specific event in time, but rather a spiritual unfolding that brings multiple repercussions in the physical or natural realm, possibly over great distances of space and time. Dr. William Hendriksen said it best when explaining the proper way of understanding scriptural symbols:

"...the question arises, what do these pictures mean? How shall we interpret them? In order to answer that question, let us make a little detour.
You remember, of course, the parable of the good Samaritan in Luke 10. Now, there are some who would interpret this beautiful story in the following manner: 'The man who is on his way from Jerusalem to Jericho represents Adam, the head of the human race. He left the heavenly city and is travelling down to the city of earth, the profane city. But, having turned his desires towards the earth, he falls into the hands of robbers; that is, he is overpowered by Satan and his evil angels. These robbers strip him of the garment of original righteousness. They also beat him, leaving him full of wounds, half-dead (half-dead in sins and trespasses!). The priest and levite represent the law and the sacrifices. They cannot save the sinner. They are powerless to help. But the good Samaritan, namely, Jesus Christ, is travelling that way and helps the poor sinner. This good Samaritan dresses his wounds with the oil of the Holy Spirit and with wine, namely, the blood of His passion. He then puts the poor man on His own mule, that is, on the merits on His own righteousness. He takes the poor man to an inn, that is, to church. The next day, the good Samaritan gives the host two shillings, that is, the Word and Sacraments, in order that with these he may provide for the spiritual needs of the poor sinner. Then this good Samaritan departs but promises to return later.'
Now, if the reader has the type of mentality that enjoys such spiritualizing explanations, he might as well close this book. He will never understand the parables of our Lord." From "More Than Conquerors"

The point given being that while the story of salvation does have parallels with Jesus' parable, Jesus wasn't talking about salvation in the parable of Luke 10; He was talking about brotherly kindness and goodness, defining just who a "neighbor" could be. And since the context given in the parable does not give us proper direction or even a hint of any "deeper meaning" to any of the lesser details, we should say nothing of them as Christ said nothing of them. We are to look unto the single, hidden truth presented within the parable, not break the point down into an epic adventure. And who can deny Revelation is anything but a visual parable? That being said, let's read Revelation 13.

Revelation 13:1-6 And I stood on the sand of the sea, and I saw a beast coming up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns. And on its horns were ten crowns, and on its heads was the name of blasphemy. And the beast which I saw was like a leopard, and its feet like those of a bear, and its mouth like the mouth of a lion. And the dragon gave him its power and its seat and great authority. And I saw one of its heads as having been slain to death, and its deadly wound was healed. And all the earth marveled after the beast. And they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast. And they worshiped the beast, saying, Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with it? And a mouth speaking great things was given to it, and blasphemies. And authority was given to it to continue forty-two months. And it opened its mouth in blasphemy toward God, to blaspheme His name and His tabernacle, and those dwelling in Heaven.

While not denying any deeper truth to be found within this account, let's examine the description of this beast and its intent. A parable gives a picture, and the first impression of this picture is an animal which does not occur in nature (or if it did, something nasty happened to it along the way). This beast has several heads and horns, typically denoting power in Hebrew culture, and bears the name of blasphemy. From this we see the dragon, elsewhere identified by the writer, John the Beloved, as the devil, or Satan, and this dragon gives his personal power to this unnatural creature of stature. What authority this dragon had is wielded by the "beast." One head of the beast was then revived by this. John saw the earth worship and follow after this beast, and even to worship the dragon because what it had caused this beast to do. When the earth had worshiped the beast, a mouth was given to it (which is yet another sign to indicate a personification to something not necessarily corporeal) with which it blasphemes God and everything about Him.

Now, heeding the warning given at the end of Revelation, let's try to ascertain truth from this revelation without adding to or subtracting from the text. Allowing for a safe and concise statement, we will suffice to say this beast can summarily represent the power of sin (which still allows for the coming of the "man of sin," or the personal Antichrist figure, should that more specific interpretation prove to be correct in the days or years to come), elsewhere represented in Scripture (a few chapters later, in particular) by Babylon, which itself means "mixture" or "confusion." We see how sin rises from our separation from God and buffets even the saints. Those who are outside the church remain at emnity with God and dominated by sin. But believers have died to sin, right? Sin has no effect? Without Christ, we are doomed to lose sin's war among our members. Again, this is a loose and nonspecific look at this mighty symbol which is introduced as an enemy of Christ. Notice the next chapter witnesses the destruction of "Babylon the Great" at the hands of the Lamb.

But what of the second creature from the earth? The most definite piece of evidence provided is that it does not come out of the same place as the first beast. If this first beast came out of the sea, which is a division between land masses (maybe we could presume it to be the separation of sin?), then, for the sake of contrast, it would seem out of the earth would mean within the midst of a union of some sort.

Revelation 13:11-12 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and he spoke like a dragon. And he exercises all the authority of the first beast before him, and he causes the earth and those who dwell in it, to worship the first Beast, whose deadly wound was healed.

All the authority of the first beast:

Revelation 13:2b The dragon gave him his power, his throne, and great authority.

Revelation 13:7 And it was granted to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them. And authority was given him over every tribe, people, language, and nation.

There is clearly a connection between these beasts, as the second seems to have all the abilities of the previous beast, and then some. But the second one's mission is clearly subservient to the first beast. The second comes that the first may succeed.

Revelation 13:13-18 And he does great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth before men. And he deceives my own people who dwell on the earth by the signs which were given to him to do before the Beast, saying to those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who had the wound--and came to life! -from the sword. And it was granted to him to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. And he causes all, small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, that they should receive marks on their right hand, or on their foreheads, and that no one may buy or sell except he that has the mark, the name of the beast, or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of man--his number is 666.

We've already observed several similarities between this beast and the Lamb of Revelation 5; this beast even has horns like a lamb. This second beast exercises not only the power of the first beast, but even mimicks a few Old Testament miracles performed by God, a sign of a copycat. The actions of this copycat of the Lamb is to either make everyone serve the first beast, or destroy them. To make a generally concise and surface observation, it seems that if the first beast represents the power of sin, then the second beast would appear to be an extention of sin, more powerful, but still subservient.

It is the proposal that the extention of sin falls short of the believer's life and the newness of creation in Christ, so in order to draw people away, to blind them from the Gospel, there is another power at work, and that is the spirit of antichrist, which bears the power of sin (or whatever institution or figure that may operate under sin), but also attempts to mimick the things of God in order to supplant Jesus as anything possible--be it legalism, revelry, religiousity, lawlessness, or any blend of false teachings and doctrines of devils in between.


Antichrist's Exegesis

In Galatians 1:6-9, Paul warns against those who preach other gospels, in 2 Timothy 3:5 talks of evil ones who have a form of godliness but deny (or refuse) the power thereof, 2 Peter and Jude are all about avoiding false teachers who spread the "doctrine of devils" and who basically bite off more than they can chew in their ignorance and presumption. Ultimately, though, the term "antichrist" only appears a handful of times in the epistles written by John the Beloved, who also wrote Revelation.

1 John 2:18-19 Little children, it is the last hour; and just as you have heard that the Antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have appeared; from this we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us. For if they were of us, they would have remained with us; but they left so that it might be revealed that they all are not of us.

1 John 2:22 Who is a liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, the one who denies the Father and the Son.

1 John 4:2-3 By this the Spirit of God is known: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit which does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard that it is coming, and now is already in the world.

2 John 1:7 Because many deceivers have gone out into the world who do not confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is a deceiver and the antichrist.

Revelation gave us a picture of Antichrist's behavior and mission, but John has provided the cold, hard facts for the emerging nemesis of the church. The attributes of Antichrist are listed for us: (1) beginning in the Gospel but having departed from it; (2) Denies Jesus of Nazareth is the Christ, as anyone who denies the Son knows not the Father (1 John 2:23); (3) Denies the divinity of the Son of God coming in the flesh as Jesus Christ.

So we see that Antichrist is, in fact, a spirit and is directly concerned with removing Christ-referential truth from the Church. While a future "man of sin," "son of "perdition," "personal figure of Antichrist," may come into the world, we already see that such an advent would only be the cherry on the cake which the devil has spent two milennia cooking up. Every stumblingblock in Church history with its false prophet(s), from the official Roman Catholic Church (instituted by Constantine) to Gnostic Christianity (which had evidence of roots beginning to form even in the latter dated epistles of the New Testament), to Freemasonry, to Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, formely known as the Mormon Church (founded by Joseph Smith), to the Watchtower Society (founded by Charles Taze Russell), to the Word-Faith Movement and New Age Unitarian Universalism which pleads Christian roots; all are seen to be "antichristian" but also began with a form of godliness but rejected the ensuing power to follow; the power which conforms fallen man to the image of Christ Jesus, God's one and only begotten Son. We see, then, that the 'false prophet' of Revelation is but a job description; one that many unfortunate souls have taken up in the last 2,000 years. The list I began could go on endlessly to include those who have given life to the image of Antichrist, just as John was shown.
Let's examine a few warnings given in Scripture to which we could attribute to Antichrist rearing its ugly head (or heads?):

2 Peter 2:1-3 But false prophets were also among the people, as also false teachers will be among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, and denying the Master who has bought them, bringing swift destruction on themselves. And many will follow their destructive ways, by whom the way of truth will be evil spoken of. And by covetousness, with well-turned words, they will use you for gain, for whom judgment of old does not linger, and their destruction does not slumber.

Colossians 2:4-8 And I say this that no one may beguile you with persuasive words. For though I am indeed absent in the flesh, yet I am with you in spirit, rejoicing and seeing your order and the firmness of your faith in Christ. Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, walk in Him, being rooted and being built up in Him, and being confirmed in the faith, even as you were taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. Watch that there not be one robbing you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the elements of the world, and not according to Christ.

Destructive heresies, denying Christ, persuasive words, philosophy and empty deceit. These are the vessels of Antichrist's message. Indeed, the tradition of men and elements of this world have no place in the Church, because we are represenatives and ambassadors of another world, Heaven, and what sort of representation would we become if not only our physical likeness but our spiritual distinctiveness conforms to the world's standard? Remember, the "beasts" of Revelation 13 ruled the world in power and might ; why else is there such hostility toward God from the very ones who, deep in their beings, cry out for Him most?


Does Antichrist Really Rise in the Future?

Notice that I used "ruled" in the past tense there; as in the continuation of that vision, or visual parable, John witnessed the Lamb defeat the beasts. Is that yet to happen? Let's read on.

Colossians 2:9-15 For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and having been filled, you are in Him, who is the Head of all rule and authority, in whom also you were circumcised with a circumcision not made by hands, in the putting off of the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, being buried with Him in baptism, in whom also you were raised through the faith of the working of God, raising Him from among the dead. And you, being dead in the deviations and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all the deviations, blotting out the handwriting in the ordinances against us, which was contrary to us, even He has taken it out of the midst, nailing it to the cross; having stripped the rulers and the authorities, He made a show of them in public, triumphing over them in it.

Scripture tells us that the Godhead divinely incorporated Himself into flesh; and since we are filled with the Holy Spirit, we are in Christ as well, because He is the Head of all things. He is the firstborn over all creation. Every earthly power must bow the knee to Him, and, as the very last (long) sentence of that passage abundantly declares, Jesus Christ is victorious NOW, as He was victorious THEN, and victorious He ever shall be.

Stating our position in Christ, Paul then warns against one argument that would seek to enslave the freedom of Christ.

Colossians 2:16-17 Then do not let anyone judge you in eating, or in drinking, or in part of a feast, or of a new moon, or of sabbaths, which are a shadow of coming things, but the body is of Christ.

Religion will not save anyone, because "religion" is man trying to find God, but God's isn't the one who's lost. This is Antichrist's soil, as it first operated through the religious Pharisees and Judaizers.

Colossians 2:18-19 Let no one condemn you, delighting in humility and worship of the angels, pushing into things which he has not seen, being puffed up by the mind of his flesh without cause, and not holding fast the Head, from whom all the body having been supplied through the joints and bands, and being joined together, will grow with the growth of God.

In this context here, "humility" is not used as a godly virtue; it is used with the idea of constricting someone's mind or intellect. In other words, someone who has a narrow perspective of the Gospel according to glorifying angels or other messengers of God, who literally "butt into" spiritual concerns, biting off more than they can chew, and as a result they are disattached from the Head of the Body, which is Christ. The natural backswing of that is a return to a mixed-religiousity which is not so obvious.

Colossians 2:20-23 If, then, you died with Christ from the elements of the world, why are you under its decrees, as living in the world? Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch, which things are all for corruption in the using, according to the "injunctions and teachings of men." Which things indeed appear to be a matter of having wisdom in self-imposed worship and humility, and severity in abuse of the body, but are not of any value with regards to gratification of the flesh.

See also Isaiah 29:13.


Conclusion

There is a reality of the Spirit which dictates if the Spirit of God is not present in anything, be it a church, a soul, a very faith, then it doesn't matter what happens in that object, it will die as all things die apart from Him. This is what that "Antichrist virus" does. It seeks to redirect Christians away from the very Source and Head, Jesus Christ. This spirit besets us according to the 'mystery of iniquity' which Paul mentioned.
Even today, Christ is diminished in value and mentioning far, far too often in churches across the denominational board. In His place, we erect altars of ideals, principles, expectations. Is this any more spiritually heinous or barbaric in the eyes of God than the Israelites who worshiped Baal and offered their babies in fire to Molech? Instead of sacrificing our sons to the devil, we make the work of Christ to no effect. This is Antichrist's mission: to see the grace of God have no effect.

Scripture amply defines the mission of Antichrist, but how does Antichrist do this? Author Graham Cooke contrasts God's perfect and holy agape-love with the selfish, human eros-love. Agape was a Greek word for a great form and expression of love near transcendant. Eros was literally used for romantic love, but became known for a selfish and self-seeking (almost predatory) motive for "loving" someone. A curious relative of "eros" is the Greek word "poneros"--literally translated as "evil." The Greek word for evil, from which we get words like "pornography," comes from the word for selfish, human love: eros > poneros. In this light, we see that evil is not a self-existent force; it is nothing more than a perversion of good. So, naturally, we do not see any greater form of evil than in the Church, where the perfect, Christian love granted to us may become corrupted by a selfish and human focus, when agape becomes eros, there is poneros. This is Antichrist's greatest form; affrontive humanism disguised as holy godliness. 666 is manifest by fallen man (and not the Christ-man) taking up godly attributes.

All this is not to say there is no future figure of Antichrist, but perhaps the Church should remember the words of Christ concerning the future.

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow; for tomorrow shall be anxious for its own things. Sufficient to the day is the evil of it.

Should there be an infernal incarnation of Satan coming to rule the world somewhere down the line, Christ said we should not be concerned with it today. What we are to be concerned with is the effects of the spirit of Antichrist in our present time which seeks to strongarm its way into the spotlight. That is the true threat to the present-day church--while the flock is looking ahead for any sign of a demon-possessed dictator, there are 100,000 subtle and incognito false teachers who influence, impede, and assault the Church today, who "introduce destructive heresies" which are not addressed, who are sons of hell purposed to do one thing--imprison and burden others (See Matthew 23 and John 8).

Again, to warn against a future dictator as the supreme enemy of the church is to postpone action against the internal decay onset by the spirit of Antichrist. To be sure, nearly every religion is awaiting some great figure to lead them once more--the Buddhists pray for the "Maitreya" or Unborn-One to come and lead them into Enlightenment (the New Age Movement has adopted this as its messiah, as well), the Muslims are waiting for the "holy Mahdi" to come and lead the faithful Muslims to victory with an army of jinn, or spirits, in order to establish Allah's kingdom in all the earth. As we can see, although most religions contain some future messenger, the nature of that messenger is pretty diverse if taken literally--unless we see a figure who makes war on the world with an "army of jinn" in the way of subterfuge and deception. Most likely, if there is a personal Antichrist, he will not be another Emperor Nero. No, this figure would not use strength of arms, as the beast had horns like the Lamb, but as we already see in Scripture, Antichrist uses empty deceit and vain philosophy. Should another Buddha arise in this world, would the masses not exalt him to such a beloved status as to rival the Catholic pope in influence and stature?

At any rate, our concern should not be with plans of the enemy in the near or distant future, but remain vigilant for this day and hour. And the purpose of remaining vigilant is that our focus remain upon Christ, because in Him and Him alone do we find victory, truth, and life. Let Christ be exalted and arise, that His beloved be cleansed, blessed, and delivered from persecution, that He be the Righteous Judge and set all things aright (John 12:31-33). Let us love the LORD our God with all our hearts and worship and serve Him only.
© Copyright 2006 SpyHunter (spyhunterpj86 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1166769-Antichrist