*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1167000-One-Day
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Romance/Love · #1167000
Is it hurt or joy?
Most people consider me a work-a-holic, my family, friends, and most certainly, my co-workers. I suppose I cannot deny it, my life revolves around my work, it is my life and I am good at it. I am a paralegal, nothing special or glamorous, but fulfilling, and perhaps idealistic. In this firm, I have the pleasure of working for one of the top partners, and day-in and day-out, working in excess of twelve hours is something that I am accustomed to do. However, to the barrage of my co-workers, family, and friends, I am going to take a break. A well deserved weekend break, or so my boss said to me.

Actually, when I think about it, it sounds like fun, and I made my reservations to a quiet resort in, Puerto Rico. When I think about it, it does not sound too different from where I live, the palm trees, the warm climate; However, I suppose being away from my normal environment and relaxing for a whole weekend could be nice. So, I am off to a weekend of mixed drinks by the beach, and perhaps a little golf.

I arrived at the resort mid-afternoon, and it was everything I expected it to be, beautiful, charming, and anonymous. For moment, I felt guilty for being there knowing their was work waiting for me back home. However, I decided to christen my trip with my first cocktail. So, I went to my room, changed, and ten minutes later I was sitting on the beach sipping a rum concoction that began to allow me to breath easily, and enjoy the moment. And, by the time I was ready for a another drink, a gentleman was already handing me a new one, no questions asked; like I was being spied on, like my one mission was to loosen up, and I had a team of supporters ready to act at a moments notice.
Unexpectedly, I heard a whispered voice from behind me, "Hi, may I join you?" Her voice was so timid and tender, how could I say no, "yes, you may."
"I'm Rebecca," she said, casually sitting next to me. Still puzzled by the spontaneity of her presence, I had to remember to introduce myself. However, she seemed in full control, daintily making conversation. Surprisingly, it was easy with her, we talked about everything. She was a nurse from Chicago, which she absolutely cherished. I admired that, the fact that her job was important, honorable, rewarding to her. I could feel it when she talked about it, and the fact that she was part of the triage team, how could you not be committed to it. So, we decided to have dinner, parenthetically sparking an excitement I have not felt in a century's blue moon.
When I got to the lobby, Rebecca was already there, and for the first time I really started to notice how beautiful she was. I was astounded, her whole constitution was like a celestial object. She looked my way and her eyes were like torches burning bright with a magnificent fire. For a moment, I felt self-conscious, but I held my ground and walked her way."You're beatiful, Rebecca." Her smile was killer, all I wanted to do was move, walk, anything to keep my mind from forming lascivious thoughts. We made our way to the restaurant, immediately easing into the ambiance and conversation, and wine to mellow out our minds and bodies.
So, we ate, we shared a bottle of wine, and we were laughing, what else could I ask for? Yes, I thought about being intimate with her, how could I not?
But, I knew I did not want to ruin it; however, Rebecca casually took control, again.
As swiftly as walked in there, we walked out, Rebecca leading me with a soft gentle tug. We made our way to her room, immediately taken over by passion, lost in the moment. We made love that night, not sex, not anything angry or pushed. It was a symphony, and we were completely lost in ecstasy.
The next morning Rebecca was gone, only her ghost and the faint scent of her redolence was left behind. What I did find was a letter:

Dear Robert:

I have to start off by telling you that yesterday was a gift scent from heaven; A break from everything that has been going on in my life. I am grateful and blessed to have enjoyed this gift with you. I cannot begin to explain how hurt I am, but what I can tell you is that two nights ago, I was torn apart because my husband decided that he didn't love me anymore. I hope that you can understand that last night was not a means to an end; you made me feel adored, you made me feel like a woman again. I am grateful for that, and what happened last night means more than you will ever know. Take care, Robert, and please forgive me.

Eternally yours,
Rebecca


To say that I was crushed would be an understatement; However, I cannot say that I was angry at Rebecca. I understood that she was in pain, that the blow stricken to her just two days ago was bigger than our one day together. And maybe it was best that it ended the way it did. So, I enjoyed my weekend, I drank, I played golf, and relived the brief and beautiful moment I had with her.
It is now Monday morning, and everyone is asking me how my weekend was; Did I get wild and crazy in Puerto Rico, did I "hook" up? But, does that matter? I suppose not, and within two or three days, they will stop asking.
© Copyright 2006 anima profundi (ilcercatore at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1167000-One-Day